MacOS Catalina

Cois

Did the install today of Catalina.

Skipped the Beta tests as I was busy with Video Editing and Graphics work.

Started installing after 15h30 ish so did not spend a lot of time on it yet. Saw a few nice changes, but still have a few Applications to install.

Can't upgrade. Using desktop Lightroom and PSE, with some of the launch components being 32-bit... Unless I find another option for photo editing, which I haven't really looked too hard for being at ease with those two, I'm sort-of stuffed.

I will check it out during the day today.

DId the install last night and then shut down before looking around.

So far there are some things Im not a fan of, like zsh being default shell for instance.

There are a few nice things.  The 32 Bit support not being there is a huge pain, as I used one application that had only a 32bit version.  So the App won't work anymore.

One huge plus is to use my Apple Watch to unlock the Mac and also to replace my password in some apps where I just double click on the watch.

Can't upgrade. Using desktop Lightroom and PSE, with some of the launch components being 32-bit... Unless I find another option for photo editing, which I haven't really looked too hard for being at ease with those two, I'm sort-of stuffed.

Fudge... I did not check Lightroom...  Oh well will use the laptop (PC) more for photo work and Photoshop for now.  But kinda huge as the MBA is much lighter than my laptop and taking it on shoots will be a pain as the MBA although being a 2013 system still pulls 6 hours out of its battery.

There are a few nice things.  The 32 Bit support not being there is a huge pain, as I used one application that had only a 32bit version.  So the App won't work anymore.

One huge plus is to use my Apple Watch to unlock the Mac and also to replace my password in some apps where I just double click on the watch.

From what I recall you previously had to buy an app to use the watch to unlock the mac. 

Its quite common for Apple to find an app they like, copy it and eventually ban it from the store!

Apparently no new itunes?

From what I am told, leave the version your mac came with on it otherwise all these updates end up slowing it down? Is that true?

post-24600-0-53556200-1570612056_thumb.png

Edited by Let's Ride

From what I recall you previously had to buy an app to use the watch to unlock the mac.

Its quite common for Apple to find an app they like, copy it and eventually ban it from the store!

Never needed to buy an app to unlock with watch afaik

Apparently no new itunes?

From what I am told, leave the version your mac came with on it otherwise all these updates end up slowing it down? Is that true?

iTunes gone. Replaced with music app and tv app, aligned with iPad, iPhone, Apple TV etc.

Updates shouldn’t slow your Mac down. In some cases, quite the contrary

yeah. App was called knock.

Wonder if I can get a refund on it

Installing mine right now. Installation just as slow as Windows 10. :mellow:

Mine took longer than Windows 10 installs even with driver sorting and all.

But it runs, it is smooth and iMovie still works. So I am happy. Just wish I could remove Quick Time and run only VLC on it

Mine took longer than Windows 10 installs even with driver sorting and all.

But it runs, it is smooth and iMovie still works. So I am happy. Just wish I could remove Quick Time and run only VLC on it

Mine also running smoothly now. Unity and Xcode builds feel a bit faster.  :clap: