Replacement crown race / base spacer for fork

Rouxenator

My fork recently started creaking under braking so I serviced the headset and replaced the two sealed bearings. This did not seem to make a difference so I took it to a bike shop who said my CSU might be going, but that they'll check it out. 

I got the bike back and it was a bit better but soon returned to how it was. After taking a close look I noticed the crown race / base spacer is missing causing the fork to move back and forth ever so slightly. 

Does anyone know where I can buy a replacement locally? It is going to take 2 months for the one I bought on ebay to arrive and I don't want to cause any damage in the meanwhile.

Part I am looking for : 

post-38519-0-04057500-1572521904_thumb.jpg

Mine that is missing : 

post-38519-0-55586600-1572521924_thumb.jpg

I called local bikeshops, some said tapered don't have them, other say it's part of a kit. No one seems to know really. 

Thanks, they do come standard with the headset - yet mine seems for have gone "missing" if you know what I mean. Even asking the place where it went "missing" if I can buy a replacement I was told it is there because the fork won't work without. Yet as per the pic - it is not there.  :wacko:

check the link if you havent already, might work...looks like it only has the extra dust seal compared to the one in your pic.

Sure you know...isoko is in helderberg/somerset west area. if Iwere you i'd probably just buy the whole bottom assembly at about 450 ish and be done with it. the nice thing about cane creek headsets are the availability of spares/bearings etc.

Edited by morneS555

Back in the day you used to get the odd corner shop that stocked every possible bike part you could find.

Those were bike shops. Never had an issue finding a part back then.

I also had issues finding headset parts at "bike shops" around Cape Town. A few went as far as saying that don't exist, because of this I hate having to look for a part at a "bike shop" unless I am certain I will find it.

My fork recently started creaking under braking so I serviced the headset and replaced the two sealed bearings. This did not seem to make a difference so I took it to a bike shop who said my CSU might be going, but that they'll check it out. 

I got the bike back and it was a bit better but soon returned to how it was. After taking a close look I noticed the crown race / base spacer is missing causing the fork to move back and forth ever so slightly. 

Does anyone know where I can buy a replacement locally? It is going to take 2 months for the one I bought on ebay to arrive and I don't want to cause any damage in the meanwhile.

Part I am looking for : 

attachicon.gif2019-10-31_132837.jpg

Mine that is missing : 

attachicon.gifIMG_20191031_063110.jpg

I called local bikeshops, some said tapered don't have them, other say it's part of a kit. No one seems to know really. 

Is it missing or has it not been pressed down onto the crown correctly?

If you didn't have a crown race, one would expect to see the bottom bearing assembly more obviously.

Would it be possible to take the fork out and send us a picture to be sure? At worst just drop the fork out of the headtube 1cm and it'll be obvious if the crown race is missing.

Edited by Simon Kolin

It definitely had one. I suspect that when the bike shop serviced the headset they forgot to put it back. The replacement one I ordered from Isiko looks a bit nicer than the plastic one I had. 

Never had issues with taking them off and putting them back after cleaning it. This is the one on my previous shock that I sold couple of months ago.

post-38519-0-87699800-1572591290_thumb.jpg

If you don't come right, let me know - I have two sitting in my toolbox.

The only problem though is I'm in Joburg...

It definitely had one. I suspect that when the bike shop serviced the headset they forgot to put it back. The replacement one I ordered from Isiko looks a bit nicer than the plastic one I had. 

Never had issues with taking them off and putting them back after cleaning it. This is the one on my previous shock that I sold couple of months ago.

attachicon.gifIMG_20190516_124436.jpg

Once the crown race has been pressed onto the steerer it does not come off. By that I mean it takes a bit of effort to remove it. You need a special vice like tool to get it off. Or if you don't have that tool you have to hammer it off with a flat blade screw driver (not recommended). When you service a headset you don't remove the crown race. It's very weird that yours went missing. I'm not sure how that can happen.

Once the crown race has been pressed onto the steerer it does not come off. By that I mean it takes a bit of effort to remove it. You need a special vice like tool to get it off. Or if you don't have that tool you have to hammer it off with a flat blade screw driver (not recommended). When you service a headset you don't remove the crown race. It's very weird that yours went missing. I'm not sure how that can happen.

plenty of them have a slot for easy install by hand. so they come of quite easily too. i'm assuming a plastic crownrace also does not stay very snug for too long.

post-64325-0-38904000-1572622121_thumb.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20190516_124436.jpg

When you say "serviced the headset", do you mean replaced the whole thing?

There is no reason the bike shop would have taken off the lower crown race for a service, unless they were installing a brand new headset.

How the hell does the LBS not know? The crown race fits snug on the fork and cannot get “lost”. If it isnt there theres nothing to compress the bearings. You get the crown race loose, if you walk into any reputable bike shop they should he able to supply you with one. I fitted a new fork last weekend and i just used the race off my old fork. If the old race is shot just pop in to Evobikes, from my experience they are probably one of the better places to find all sorts of things. And they generally know what they are talking about. Have a look on their website beforehand if you have any doubts. In fact, if you need a split crown race like the one pictured, i have one lying around which you can have. Drop me a pm buddy.

Edited by gemmerbal