Road Bike Advice

toptoobnoob

Just looking at the Swift in the list of possibles.

The wheels don't look like Dura Ace. The latter has a 16/20 spoke count. Unless they are very old Dura Ace that have been sprayed and had new decals fitted.

Wow, lots of help!

a bike with warranty at 17k, not possible hey. you need to buy new and will have to look at the R25k mark if you want a carbon frame.

Yeah, wasn't thinking 17k exactly but for 20k the Titan 2019 model has a warranty I believe. I assume some of the silverback options do too.

How About this Silverback? It's not carbon but comes with hydro disc brakes. A lot newer than the other choices.

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/387895-silverback-strella-expert-disk/

I was going with the impression that carbon would be the first priority at this price bracket. Is this not the case? Nice disc brakes would be great :).

This bike is race ready and a newer model than the one you listed, good wheels.11spd
https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/287048-merida-scultura-5000/

Unfortunately I'm in Cape Town, so that would be a bit of a headache - no?

If you can stretch your budget....this is the same I ride. Race ready and stiff.

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/370807-giant-tcr-advanced-pro-1-price-drop/

Looks great, but also not in Cape Town.

Just looking at the Swift in the list of possibles.

The wheels don't look like Dura Ace. The latter has a 16/20 spoke count. Unless they are very old Dura Ace that have been sprayed and had new decals fitted.

Ah yeah, the consensus seems to be the against the Swift - too bad, I liked the styling.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Do you have links so I can check it out? If I were to spend that much I feel like I should be leaning towards a bike with warranty though.

Been eyeing those bikes for a while, but think it might just be too big of a stretch. 

I've been eyeing it for a few months and haven't seen anything anything far better than above (I think). I suspect it would be easier in Joburg?

I can send you pics on whatsapp, the dude has not put it up for sale yet. I am sure could bargain him down a little. DM if you are keen.

Whatever you buy make sure it is the right size for you  ---  very important.

Too often we buy the wrong size 2nd hand because it is the only one available.

worth noting the time of year ....

2020 models have been launched over the last 2 months.  Some specials on 2019 models.

As the year runs out the last of the 2019 stock gets seriously discounted !!!

What seems out of your budget now, may just be within reach if you get the right deal at the right time ....

This also means that many others will be grabbing 2019 deals in the coming weeks, so many bikes about to come onto the 2nd hand market as well ....

well worth trolling BikeAddicts webpage to keep track of the specials .... just note that often they seriously discount to get rid of that last 1 or 2 of a model, so often limited sizing on the very good specials ...  Though I picked up the right size at another shop, that matched Bike Addicts price, even though they did not have my size ... (and I did not even mention Bike Addicts price)

Whatever you buy make sure it is the right size for you  ---  very important.

Too often we buy the wrong size 2nd hand because it is the only one available.

Yeah, I'm trying to make sure this doesn't happen. The fit I had done for the CT Cycle Tour earlier this year indicated a 54/55cm frame, but was having doubts based on my height charts I had seen (I'm about 1.78m).

worth noting the time of year ....

2020 models have been launched over the last 2 months.  Some specials on 2019 models.

As the year runs out the last of the 2019 stock gets seriously discounted !!!

What seems out of your budget now, may just be within reach if you get the right deal at the right time ....

This also means that many others will be grabbing 2019 deals in the coming weeks, so many bikes about to come onto the 2nd hand market as well ....

well worth trolling BikeAddicts webpage to keep track of the specials .... just note that often they seriously discount to get rid of that last 1 or 2 of a model, so often limited sizing on the very good specials ...  Though I picked up the right size at another shop, that matched Bike Addicts price, even though they did not have my size ... (and I did not even mention Bike Addicts price)

Hmm, yeah maybe I should hold on a bit longer. Definitely am a bit trigger happy at this point. Thanks for the advice.

Just for reference purpose ....

2018 Scott Spark 940 (full suspension MTB) had a list price of about R50k in 2018, mostly sold in the mid 40's during the year.  Once the 2019 models landed it was marked down, then marked down again ,and again as the new models made its way onto the showroom floors .... got mine for 36k.  I see the 2019 models are still selling for 54k, for the SAME bike, just a different colour scheme ....

Got my hard tail commuter in February of the next year .... new models already in the floor, this one lost bike on shelf in the corner of the store .... The shop owner stated was the previous year model, and he would see what he can do, me not knowing the system looked at the R18k tag on the bike ... VERY happy when he said I can have it for R11k .....