SRAM NX Eagle

Dissipline

I think one needs to understand the groupset hierarchy and compare apples with apples.  NX is sitting right at the bottom of the SRAM range, it is what it is.  If you want better then you need to fork out $$$.  I personally have over 1000 km's on a GX Eagle groupset and it hasn't skipped a beat.  Yes the shifting is not as crisp and smooth as XO1 or XT but I don't expect it to be.

SRAM                     Shimano

XX1                        XTR

XO1                        XT

X1                           SLX

GX                          Deore

NX                          Alivio

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think one needs to understand the groupset hierarchy and compare apples with apples.  NX is sitting right at the bottom of the SRAM range, it is what it is.  If you want better then you need to fork out $$$.  I personally have over 1000 km's on a GX Eagle groupset and it hasn't skipped a beat.  Yes the shifting is not as crisp and smooth as XO1 or XT but I don't expect it to be.

Except that that heirarchy doesn't mean that GX is te equiv of Deore. It just means that SRAM GX is 4th on SRAM's heirarchy, and Deore holds that spot on Shimano's. Nothing more. This has been discussed ad infinitum, and the "levels" are not directly comparable.  

I think one needs to understand the groupset hierarchy and compare apples with apples. NX is sitting right at the bottom of the SRAM range, it is what it is. If you want better then you need to fork out $$$. I personally have over 1000 km's on a GX Eagle groupset and it hasn't skipped a beat. Yes the shifting is not as crisp and smooth as XO1 or XT but I don't expect it to be.

SRAM Shimano

XX1 XTR

XO1 XT

X1 SLX

GX Deore

NX Alivio

No... that comparison is so far off it'a not even funny. GX and XT on the "same" level. Plenty threads about this though.

X1 doesn't exist anymore....

Further on bad shifting. I played around with the B screw setting. Went for a ride and was testing out a 36T chainring so slipped the Bscrew setting tool in my back pocket and off we went. 

Four hill repeats of 8 min each. Nice to do the test on a ill because the chain tension is high. 

I initially set the B-screw with the bike unladden.

The sag of the suspension can affect the setting as chain growth is different for different suspension systems.

My take away is that there is a massive difference in shft quality between the unladden setting and the setting determined with sag. I got there by trial. 

First hill repeat,.....unladden setting.

second repeat, 1/4 turn out

third repart, another 1/4 turn out

4th another 1/4 turn 

then turned it back in 1/4 turn to where it was on the thrid repeat. Really sweet crisp shift.

That's where it stayed. I think too many shops are not following the set up guidelines and OEM's are not using the recommended cable kits or at least the solid aluminium cable ends that comes with the SRAM and Jagwire cablekits

I think one needs to understand the groupset hierarchy and compare apples with apples. NX is sitting right at the bottom of the SRAM range, it is what it is. If you want better then you need to fork out $$$. I personally have over 1000 km's on a GX Eagle groupset and it hasn't skipped a beat. Yes the shifting is not as crisp and smooth as XO1 or XT but I don't expect it to be.

SRAM Shimano

XX1 XTR

XO1 XT

X1 SLX

GX Deore

NX Alivio

I'm just asking did you not forget the SX Eagle. It is the latest addition and is below the NX.

I have both an NX Eagle and 2x GX Eagle systems (on different bikes and across different wheels). The GX system has about 3100 km on it now and hasn't failed in any way (original chain too and there isn't enough play to warrant replacing the chain, crazy right?). The NX system is much newer and far fewer km (600km currently), however, it survived absolute hell during a rainy weekend on the Wines2Whales Chardonnay event. That thing was dipped in mud multiple times. No issues after the bike was cleaned. Maybe my bike shop is just very good.

Edited by aquaratza

I'm just asking did you not forget the SX Eagle. It is the latest addition and is below the NX.

Ouch, I forgot to put my flamesuit on.  You are all missing the point.  I was not making a direct comparison but merely pointing out that NX is way down on the hierarchy with SX now below it as pointed out by DieVlieg, and you get what you pay for.......

Ouch, I forgot to put my flamesuit on. You are all missing the point. I was not making a direct comparison but merely pointing out that NX is way down on the hierarchy with SX now below it as pointed out by DieVlieg, and you get what you pay for.......

I must tone myself better. Sorry, was not trying to be such a wise ass but I surely came across that way.

It's crazy, I have done a stint of research as I just bought myself a Silverback Sola 1 as it came out with a GX Eagle and the Marida Ninety six range in my budget came out with NX or some sort of Shimano setup.

Breaking down the bikes in groupsets and all other components and sets it there is very little left to allocate to the frame.

There are some articles that compares the different SRAM varients. I am not convinced the more you pay the better the durability or quality. In some instances the parts that change is to make them lighter and not perse stronger.

My bike got delivered today. I will give you my opinion again in a few weeks. Not that it matters..

The bottom line is simple: Do not buy a bike off the shelf  :whistling:. Mix and match and build the bike for the allocated budget.

Manufacturers always try to be as competitive as possible so they need to cut costs on some of the items. I am sure the NX range has some positives but I've seen 3-4 guys standing next to the trails with a broken rear mech. Now if that happened to me on a race like let's say the Berg&Bush or any other stage race for that matter - I WILL BE PISSED! And the shifter feels very plastic  :rolleyes:

I think the GX Eagle is probably the best value proposition; from my experience it is clearly extremely durable, doesn't feel plasticky, has the better bearing vs bushing in the shifter (lower resistance), etc. and doesn't cost insane amounts. It seems like a reasonable economic compromise. My NX chain is rusting a bit, but the GX still looks new.

You can mix and match components (GX/NX/etc), which is nice.

• 1 month later...

had problems shifting problems on w2w. got stuck on the big gear. see photo of what happen yesterday, buddy same problem a week back. 

Same thing just happened to my derailleur... 4 months old. Bought it from CWC, warranty claim time haha :|

20191229_184743-e1577638179624.jpg

All strange to me. Bought a new bike mid 2018 with GX Eagle factory fitted. Has done more than 5000km, including through mud so bad the RD was totally jammed up and bike was effectively a single speed. But I've not had a moment's trouble with it. Not once. No unusual maintenance other for chain replacements. And I find the shifting incredibly smooth and accurate - I find my road bike's Ultegra setup to be no better. Maybe Ive just been lucky so far.

Serviced my bike last night.  We have a couple of road trips coming up, so I checked everything ....

Eagle GX .... bottom wheel of the derailure was "notchy" .... checked further ..... got dust into the bearing.  Actually very easy to open, clean, and re-grease.

YES - did use blue lock-tight when refitting the screw.

worth mentioning that we do a LOT of dusty rides, hardly any muddy rides.

just wondering .... would be interesting to hear from those where the bolt got undone - was the bearing dirty/sticky ?  Is this maybe an item to be checked more regularly ?