Garmin Watch and bike pc ?

Geared

Ja - the power meter instead of the edge is an excellent notion and exactly the setup I have. Only thing is that Discovery won't drip feed 100% of the stages cost back to OP ...

Unless --- buy the edge - sell it on at a 10% discount - get the power meter - meet all those point goals to get the money back from med aid?

Random left field suggestion:

Consider getting a Fenix 3 HR Sapphire 2nd-hand,  there are a couple for sale on here for a good price(R2500 to R3500), add the quick release strap as someone else noted. This means you can use it for the swim, then pop it onto the bike mount for the Bike and pop it back onto your arm for the run. Plus it is good enough for MTB, can show you the metrics you need, just doesn't do maps but I have never ever need MAP functionality.

One computer for all applications. Does everything you need.

Then, get a power meter. (Stages, R4000 to R6000)

Much easier to pace your rides with a power meter, plus you can track your endurance fitness on the bike very accurately.

Lastly, Smart Indoor trainer, like a Kickr (R9000 to R12000 2nd hand). Getting your training in while not being at risk on our roads is worth the money, plus you can do very structured training sets with a Smart indoor trainer.

Think all of this should still come in cheaper than a Fenix 6 + 530 combo....

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Random left field suggestion:

Consider getting a Fenix 3 HR Sapphire 2nd-hand,  there are a couple for sale on here for a good price(R2500 to R3500), add the quick release strap as someone else noted. This means you can use it for the swim, then pop it onto the bike mount for the Bike and pop it back onto your arm for the run. Plus it is good enough for MTB, can show you the metrics you need, just doesn't do maps but I have never ever need MAP functionality.

One computer for all applications. Does everything you need.

Then, get a power meter. (Stages, R4000 to R6000)

Much easier to pace your rides with a power meter, plus you can track your endurance fitness on the bike very accurately.

Lastly, Smart Indoor trainer, like a Kickr (R9000 to R12000 2nd hand). Getting your training in while not being at risk on our roads is worth the money, plus you can do very structured training sets with a Smart indoor trainer.

Think all of this should still come in cheaper than a Fenix 6 + 530 combo....

this is the direction I am headed (accessories and trainers), the Fenix 6x and 530 bundle (with strap and cadence etc) as well as a HRM TRI strap costs me less than a Fenix 6x on its own. around R 14k 

a 945 and HRM-Tri strap and 530 bundle even less so. around 12k 

if we spend our allotment before end year and then resets to a new limit and discount for the new year. 

Then it's finding a Wahoo KICKR and working out how to best set that all up, have a spare tv and Apple TV to use and wall mount the tv. or will use iPad for now. 

so for now riding when I can, swimming a few times a week, and trying to wog on my treadmill a few times a week to build some sort of foundation fitness. before prepping for a sprint distance and will take it slowly from there. 

I just figured out we have a tri forum here haha, wasting my day reading through threads there and already been extremely helpful. 

if we spend our allotment before end year and then resets to a new limit and discount for the new year.  

I'm not sure which medical aid you're on but none of the ones I know about allow you to have multiple devices being funded at the same time. As far as I know, you buy one device and that is the one you get refunded on until the term of that deal is up (usually a few years). It's not a "buy a new device every year" type deal.

Also as far as I know it only applies to one device, so you could only use it for the watch or the Edge unit and not both.

I may be wrong on both these points but maybe just check before you rush out and get something.

Edited by Jehosefat

I'm not sure which medical aid you're on but none of the ones I know about allow you to have multiple devices being funded at the same time. As far as I know, you buy one device and that is the one you get refunded on until the term of that deal is up (usually a few years). It's not a "buy a new device every year" type deal.

Also as far as I know it only applies to one device, so you could only use it for the watch or the Edge unit and not both.

I may be wrong on both these points but maybe just check before you rush out and get something.

If was to hazard a guess is not Discovery as you indicate but probably momentum multiply and he has an allocation to spend... but could be wrong

I can't see why an edge would be necessarynif you have the watch. Sold my 520 whenni got the forerunner 935 and don't miss it at all.

N+1?

just found that this morning, on page 13 now, and loving it. Thank you 

yes Momentum and less 40% per 30k per year , depending on which "status" you on anywhere from 10-25-30-40% off 

Me too, Private club. It is awesome. I have picked up a few really decent deals.

It's not the medical aid as such, It's multiply. You can actually have multiply without having any other momentum product, you will just never reach private club that way. You go onto https://www.multiplyonlineshop.co.za/ and login and your level is displayed and the price you pay. You have a limit that you can spend for the year with the max discount and after that you get the minimum or no discount. I am looking at a new garmin watch right now and it's on special to everyone, add my discount and its 60% off.

The attached thread is to long to browse through.

And reading this one, my question might seem more relevant. 

Will the Tri-HR from the 945/F6 work with the Edge 530?

Yes

Suggestion: Get the Multisport watch first, might turn out that you find it totally sufficient for all your needs.

40%-off anything still means you need to pay 60% of something, which is 60% too much if it will just end up in a drawer collecting dust most of the time.

Edited by Swift&Aero

Yes

Thanks for the reply shaper!

Another silly question .... If one uses the watch on a multi discipline event, and then as described earlier in the thread, uses the Edge on the bike leg without mirroring, will you be able to see HR info on both devices?

Thanks for the reply shaper!

Another silly question .... If one uses the watch on a multi discipline event, and then as described earlier in the thread, uses the Edge on the bike leg without mirroring, will you be able to see HR info on both devices?

Yes, it is what I do, then delete the bike leg activity on the Edge

swift & Aero, wise words, I once read if something was 1000 rand and you paid 750, you didn't save 250 you spent 750. 

went around to the shops to try them on size wise, I am leaning towards the 945, I love the Fenix 6x any day of the week, but it feels huge on my wrist, which I feel will only worsen during training, especially considering my daily is a smallish Apple Watch. 

I went for my first long (20km is long for me haha) ride on the mountain bike, on a proper track this last weekend, loved it, had my first downhill tumble to. 

for the last 4 weeks, I have just been riding 3-4 times a week around the suburbs mainly, and rest of the time spent building some sort of foundation in the gym swimming pool, and treadmill. 

during this ride I tried to see why I would want an onboard and how well a watch worked practically, and I could immediately see the benefit of having your information in front of you, I found looking at my wrist the whole time doable and I can make it work just fine, but would of really liked to have it in front of me. a luxury I know. 

the 945/530 combo still looking like the best bet. 

pulling the trigger on the bank account is another story :)

I have appreciated all the advice so far, thank you, and I had it all in my mind the weekend while out riding and while in the pool today, asking myself what do I need, why do I need it, and what is it going to help with, as I sit on the side of the pool browsing through my train to tri book, trying to make sense of the workouts and drills. 

running (wog) coming up this afternoon 

Edited by Geared

SNIP

during this ride I tried to see why I would want an onboard and how well a watch worked practically, and I could immediately see the benefit of having your information in front of you, I found looking at my wrist the whole time doable and I can make it work just fine, but would of really liked to have it in front of me. a luxury I know. 

SNIP 

This quick release strap is worth allot in that case. It means you can clip it onto the bike mount or onto your arm in 2s flat.

Very secure. I do all my road races with the Fenix 3 on the bike mount on the handlebar.

Pretty sure you can find something similar for any of your Watch options.

post-27827-0-47272100-1574078908_thumb.jpg