Garmin Watch and bike pc ?

Geared

It is pretty bulky so I only put it on the quick-release strap for races. Use the normal strap the rest of the time.

I also need the 945 (and before that the F5) to stay on my wrist as I only use the wrist OHR and don't use a strap HR.  Have been like this for the last 2 years and find the OHR accurate enough for my needs during a triathlon.  I also hate running (chafing) with the strap HR

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you wanting both, for me it would be the 945 watch and the 530.

I have the 945 and the 520.  For training swimming and running I use the 945.  Cycling the 520.  

If doing triathlon races, obviously use the 945 in triathlon mode, I also have the 520 for the cycle leg as is easier to see when on my tri-bars right in front of my face.

Both the F6 and 945 will have sufficient battery life for a full Ironman distance

At end of the day, all that you have listed will be suitable and useful.  So pick the combination you prefer 

Or you could use both on a tri-event. Set the edge to extended display, and use the watch as the primary device. So convenient.

I'm with Sharper - 945 and 530, all you bases will be covered

No, you can't switch between devices. You leave the watch on your arm recording the whole thing and only turn the Edge on for the bike leg (and you can then discard the activity after). It's really just to have the bigger screen on the bike.

Alternatively you can set up screen mirroring so the Edge device just displays metrics that the watch is recording but for that you still need to have the watch with you.

I used to use the edge on my bike during triathlons but I quickly decided it wasn't worth the trouble and now I use the quick-release functionality of the watch to mount it on the handlebars of my bike during the ride and on my wrist for the rest of the race.

thank you, those replies have answered a few questions and have been very helpful, and long wheel base, you just asked what I was thinking, can you switch between devices during an event like you described. I was wondering if it was possible. 

the 945 530 combo will save even more cash for better use on next purchase of an indoor trainer. 

Off topic question. When you do the bike leg, when do you switch on the edge? Also do you leave it on the bike in the sun while swimming? When I did duathlons I did something similar to you but found that sometimes switching on my edge in transition took time(locating signal etc) and I also hated the fact that it got so hot in the sun.

Garmin has the extended display option on the Edge. So your watch will be you primary device. When you near your bike, the watch and Edge will pair via ANT+ and you will have the data on you watch mirrored on your Edge screen. You can set the Edge to extneded display in the morning when you check it - it barely uses any battery as the only thing that is active is the ANT+ signalling. 

Much easier tan handling an additional ride on the Edge and having to discard it

I also need the 945 (and before that the F5) to stay on my wrist as I only use the wrist OHR and don't use a strap HR.  Have been like this for the last 2 years and find the OHR accurate enough for my needs during a triathlon.  I also hate running (chafing) with the strap HR

I also find the straps uncomfortable.How inaccurate is the OHR 

Garmin has the extended display option on the Edge. So your watch will be you primary device. When you near your bike, the watch and Edge will pair via ANT+ and you will have the data on you watch mirrored on your Edge screen. You can set the Edge to extneded display in the morning when you check it - it barely uses any battery as the only thing that is active is the ANT+ signalling. 

Much easier tan handling an additional ride on the Edge and having to discard it

I use Best bike Splits software for pacing on the bike leg of the triathlons, so prefer to run it on my 520 rather than interfere with my 945 recording whilst in a race, so prefer not to mirror, but yes you can.

I also find the straps uncomfortable.How inaccurate is the OHR 

DC Rainmanker has done pretty in depth analysis of the OHR v Straps, only time there can be an inaccuracy or delay is when doing HIIT.  It can also be affected by skin pigmentation and bones.  Do a search of his site and you will find the info.

For endurance events like triathlons I find it accurate enough for the zones am racing in.  My watch is set up for HR zones and these days I race more on power zones both on the bike and on the run (Stryd PM).  I only occasionally check HR when racing.

I started reading this thread being interested in the tech, and now at the end of it I'm wanting to try a triathlon.   :huh:  :clap:

Ha ha I would not go as far as that but yes......I need to get on the road again

I can't see why an edge would be necessarynif you have the watch. Sold my 520 whenni got the forerunner 935 and don't miss it at all.

you get to learn so much more when you actually ask, been a very educating thread for me. even after reading countless reviews and videos.

Having never done anything like this before. (endurance, I come from a strength based background), and putting a lot of effort into learning the training involved, finding clubs and stroke clinics. Learning all the gizmos one needs. 

Mamil I was pondering that in bed last night, do I need both? I was/am considering both purely based on the discount left on medical aid for the year, which makes it very attractive. 

the 945 seems like it will do everything I need, I am leaning to the Fenix 6x aesthetically and the sapphire glass for hiking and MTB, I am concerned however that during training/ race it may feel heavy and distracting, but talking from my armchair here. 

the 530 seems like it will be a nice addition, especially when out mountain biking , but not a necessity. The 830 seems overkill unless I wanted to spend the extra on a touchscreen. 

one of my concerns was logging hours on my bike for services and maintenance and the watch can do that via strava as well. 

so:

sensible and practical - 945/fenix 6x only 

sensible, practical and nice to have - 945/530 combo with straps

I am just spending money just because - fenix6x/830 combo with straps 

As someone else pointed out the forerunner bundle comes with a nice bike mount. I was a little concerned that it might come loose on some helter skelter descent but it is very safe.

Not sure if fenix watches have this?

Size does matter, as does shape. The larger and rectangular shape of an edge screen makes for easier reading and you can add more data to a screen. I don’t like having to toggle through screens, I like my data on a single screen (nice to have data can go on a second screen if I feel the need).

I’m also less concerned about damaging my edge than my fenix. I wear my fenix whenever I’m not on my bike, and I like to keep it looking good. Crashing on my bike will at some point damage my fenix.

Thats my reasons for having an edge

That's what I meant by the "screen mirroring" option. Was just pointing out that there are a few ways to skin said cat.

Random left field suggestion:

Consider getting a Fenix 3 HR Sapphire 2nd-hand,  there are a couple for sale on here for a good price(R2500 to R3500), add the quick release strap as someone else noted. This means you can use it for the swim, then pop it onto the bike mount for the Bike and pop it back onto your arm for the run. Plus it is good enough for MTB, can show you the metrics you need, just doesn't do maps but I have never ever need MAP functionality.

One computer for all applications. Does everything you need.

Then, get a power meter. (Stages, R4000 to R6000)

Much easier to pace your rides with a power meter, plus you can track your endurance fitness on the bike very accurately.

Lastly, Smart Indoor trainer, like a Kickr (R9000 to R12000 2nd hand). Getting your training in while not being at risk on our roads is worth the money, plus you can do very structured training sets with a Smart indoor trainer.

Think all of this should still come in cheaper than a Fenix 6 + 530 combo....

This is exactly what I do, the 945 records the whole race, the 520 is only for the bike leg as i have it in front of me and easier to read the numbers especially power when pacing the race.  On getting back to T2, I switch the 520 off and leave in in my run bag.  The 520 activity is deleted after the race, as will be duplicated with what is recorded on my 945.

It's a personal choice.  I like having my numbers right in front of my nose and on a bigger screen that I can see all the time, rather than having to try twist my wrist over every few seconds.  As for personal choice am also not a fan of the quick release as there have been stories of the watch coming off the quick release during the swim leg.  i also think it looks bulky on your wrist and i wear my 945 as a daily watch.

This is what I do pretty much all the time. Record with both watch and edge (when cycling) and delete the Edge activity after the fact.

However, I have a question on this. IF I use just the edge, my watch tracks my heart rate. Will it all "come together" when I download to connect?

( keeping the watch in non activity mode still tracks HR - will this then be all worked out in connect that the HR is linked to the cycling activity on Edge)

Edit: actually re reading some posts possibly having this mirror option on the Edge is the way to go..will need to look into that

Edited by IceCreamMan

i also prefer two separate devices.  I run and swim with a watch, but strapping a watch to the bars while you cycle isn't the way to go.  (i used the watch only for 2 years, but not looking back after I bought an edge also)  my gear is a fenix 3 and an edge 520+

Edited by rudi-h