[Event] 2020 Imbuko Big Five MTB Challenge

Gravel Travel Events

If one was to compare the Cape Epic entry fee of +-R50K pp (I'm guessing here) for 8 stages vs. R650 for one of those stages then I'm sure its a no brainer. Plus you get to brag that you first rode a Cape Epic stage for a fraction of their Entry Fee, No?

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The event derives its name from the five big climbs on the route:

1. Hawekwa (the Rhino)
  2. Seven Peaks (the Leopard)
  3. Obiekwa (the Elephant)
  4. Groenberg (the Buffalo)
  5. Sweet Potato (the Lion)

Photos and more info on each climb to follow…

Nr1: Hawekwa

The Hawekwa climb is the second longest climb of the day. It is exposed to the elements and often very windy. Riders will tackle this climb within a couple of kilometres from the start. The 10.2km ascent will take riders from the farmlands all the way up to Du Toitskloof Pass. Total ascent for the Hawekwa is 720m with a maximum elevation is 755m.

post-3951-0-69157400-1577971515_thumb.jpg

post-3951-0-38156000-1577971523_thumb.jpg

1. Hawekwa (the Rhino)

The Hawekwa climb is the second longest climb of the day. It is exposed to the elements and often very windy. Riders will tackle this climb within a couple of kilometres from the start. The 10.2km ascent will take riders from the farmlands all the way up to Du Toitskloof Pass. Total ascent for the Hawekwa is 720m with a maximum elevation is 755m.

attachicon.gifClimb 1.jpg

attachicon.gifClimb 1 Profile.jpg

Come on Milky, we need the remaining climbs pls!! Need to see what is in store for me and my partner as we have now entered. :) 

Come on Milky, we need the remaining climbs pls!! Need to see what is in store for me and my partner as we have now entered. :)

Right on Bro, was going to post each every other day, but this opening climb is not to be underestimated its long & brutal and should literally be taken "easy"

1. Hawekwa (the Rhino)

attachicon.gifClimb 1.jpg

attachicon.gifClimb 1 Profile.jpg

I recommend everyone goes flat box up this climb as it is the easiest... don't mind me dangling at the back taking it easy  :ph34r:

I recommend everyone goes flat box up this climb as it is the easiest... don't mind me dangling at the back taking it easy  :ph34r:

You mean like this Waldo? I see now this intensity was similar to my XCO events. Guess that explains why i enjoyed the remaining Big 4 climbs that followed so much  :whistling:

post-60492-0-80230700-1578397940_thumb.png

Looking forward more to the downhills after Hawekwa. That climb starts at the top end of my family farm, not much without elevation in the area. Can't wait!!

You mean like this Waldo? I see now this intensity was similar to my XCO events. Guess that explains why i enjoyed the remaining Big 4 climbs that followed so much  :whistling:

Perfect  :clap:  :clap:

Ouch ..

post-32143-0-74683700-1578407904_thumb.png

What is the ideal front chainring, 32 or 34 tooth on a 1 x 12?

That really depends. For me I used a 32(oval)x42 combo last time... I suffered. This was on my dual sus which is about 2-3kg heavier than my hardtail.

I am going to do it now on my hardtail with a 36(oval)x50(maybe 52)

If I had a 50 at the back on the dual last year, with the 32, then it would have been perfect. But again thats just cause that bike is so much heavier.

I don't think you can spin out anywhere cause you don't pedal on the downhills anyway so rather go for a climbing combo if you had the choice.

(plus 32 is smaller, saves weight  :ph34r:  :thumbup: )

What is the ideal front chainring, 32 or 34 tooth on a 1 x 12?

32t even a 30t if you have, I assume you have 52 at the back?

Think I am going to dive into the old storage bin in my garage and look for my old 2 X crank and fit a 22T and 26T in front, still running the 50T cluster at the rear  :ph34r:

Think I am going to dive into the old storage bin in my garage and look for my old 2 X crank and fit a 22T and 26T in front, still running the 50T cluster at the rear  :ph34r:

:lol:  would not be a bad decision at all. You'll make up at least 100 places in that last 10kms