Cheapest IDT set up for zwift?

duanelr

He wants automatically controlled resistance... so unfortunately that won't suffice

I totally missed that, scratch my Satori suggestion then.

the Fluid trainer for a basic unit is a good deal, you still get a proper workout with this.

what do the more expensive ones do that this doesnt ?

(I could look it up but the info would be useful on this thread)

Our basic Fluid smart equipped trainer is worth considering, out the box is is compatible with any and all trainer apps and has a speed sensor included. 

a free 1 month rouvy subscription is also included.

https://www.bicyclepower.co.za/product/fluid-trainer-smart-equipped/

This looks like the old wheel-on-roller trainer with a fan for resistance.

Reading your website I can not see how this would provide resistance as per a Zwift type interface.  The only resistance I see is the fan as it speeds up ... What am I missing ?

Your website also says the unit is "quiet" ... HUH ?!  .... the noise of wheel-on-rollers are the big issue with these entry level units ....

Whenever I read: Cheap trainer and Zwift / Sufferfest / any other 3rd party application for indoor cycling I think, here we go again. 

Here's the thing: If you want to get the full benefit of any of the applications like Zwift or whatever your poison then unfortunately you'll have to step up and pay for the gadgets. A R700.00 "dumb trainer" will not give you everything you require. 

It's best to get yourself a good quality 2nd hand trainer or a new one on special with everything you need rather than trying to save a few BOB. 

Yes, I agree, do not get yourself a R 9 995.00 Climb and a +/-R 6 000.00 fan just because it's made by the same people who makes the trainer (Put brand name here), that to me is a waste. But by paying R3 - R5k for a decent trainer you'll know that you'll be able to enjoy everything the app offers as well as add proper miles to it before it needs a service or maintenance or whatever.  

• 3 years later...

Thread resurrection! 

I’d like to set up an indoor vibe for two people to use. 

We both get very bored very easily so something with automatic resistance and access to some sort of interesting visuals etc will be critical. I don’t think the stats matter as much as the “feeling like we’re doing this outdoors in new places”. 

How do we go about doing this cheaply (haha) in 2023? 

Would ideally not like to remove wheels so either a dedicated bike setup or something that doesn’t require wheel removal. 

Cheapest with resistance change is wheel-on, like a Tacx Flow or Kickr Snap.

Even cheaper is what I had throughout lockdown...giant dumb trainer with second hand stages powermeter, but no resistance simulation there. Good enough for workouts though.

Even for the wheel-on options, I had an old wheel that I fitted with my kld cassettes and tyres...didnt feel like wearing down a new GPx000 on a trainer...especially st today's prices for tyres, so still had to change wheels. That said,  it takes about 30seconds, and I did it the night before.

But all said and done, seems like trainer prices have come down a bit and the lower end direct drives is now not much more than wheel on. Id go for that, especially id you can buy via Momentum Multiply or Discovery or something.  Dedicated bike would be great, but honestly, switching wheels isnt as much of a pain.

My wife likes the spinning thing. Me, not so much.

I like the smart trainer/Zwift/stats/big screen/new trail thing.

We both love loud rock music.

Dedicated room, cheap smart TV, cheap but loud music bar on the wall. Fan. Home laptop with Zwift. (no cost since we had it already. Only the Zwift sub)

Cheap spin bike for her. My very old mtb/monster bike dedicated to the trainer, and a cellphone (music), and of we go. 

The only thing I spend serious money on was the trainer. Got a Kickr Core on special from CL.

Hey

Are you going to ride the bikes off the trainer or will they be dedicated to the trainer?

The wheel on trainers are the cheapest but do your research. what i have heard is that they often require a dedicated tyres or it eats through your tyres, obviously this depends on how strong you are.

I have a direct mount one and it just works, but i do have a dedicated bike on it and two saddles for my wife an I.

35 minutes ago, Koos Likkewaan 2 said:

My wife likes the spinning thing. Me, not so much.

I like the smart trainer/Zwift/stats/big screen/new trail thing.

We both love loud rock music.

Dedicated room, cheap smart TV, cheap but loud music bar on the wall. Fan. Home laptop with Zwift. (no cost since we had it already. Only the Zwift sub)

Cheap spin bike for her. My very old mtb/monster bike dedicated to the trainer, and a cellphone (music), and of we go. 

The only thing I spend serious money on was the trainer. Got a Kickr Core on special from CL.

uh mean if you have a spare room lying around then this is pretty easy to do.

33 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

uh mean if you have a spare room lying around then this is pretty easy to do.

Doesn't have to be a dedicated room.

I just made sure when the kids got married that I had training stuff in there before the wife thought about making it a guest bedroom or something stupid.