Dischem Ride for Sight

Long Wheel Base

I've done the 62 about 18/19 years ago. I still stopped and helped an under 16 rider with a tube and tried my utmost to pull him back into some sort of a pack.

But I made the mistake of looking at the route profile for the 116 earlier and it made me hesitate.

The 116 is enjoyable, not much climbing at all. The first 40km is extremely fast and fun.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Third year I haven’t paid for a license and membership, so the odd R30 day license is not that bad. At least R5 of the day license goes to the organizer (assuming they know about it).

Ride to and back from the event makes for a good workout in preparation for Maluti. Undecided if I’ll enter, as I have a pending business trip to the land of the flied lice.

• 3 weeks later...
Riding only my second road race (first was 2019 Tshwane Classic 50km), on my mountain bike. 

Route profile for the shorter distance was not available and I wanted to get an idea of the elevation over the route so found a site "plotaroute.com" and plotted the 62km route. Looks like approximately 420m of climbing over the 62km route.

Image of route profile below:

post-96923-0-61325000-1581326981_thumb.jpg
Edited by Faze Maze

Riding only my second road race (first was 2019 Tshwane Classic 50km), on my mountain bike. 

Route profile for the shorter distance was not available and I wanted to get an idea of the elevation over the route so found a site "plotaroute.com" and plotted the 62km route. Looks like approximately 420m of climbing over the 62km route.

That route profile doesn't do it justice TBH. It looks more like this ________________________________________________________________________________

That route profile doesn't do it justice TBH. It looks more like this ________________________________________________________________________________

:D Lols

:D Lols

Just checked my strava from last year. 

Distance was 60.41km and elevation was 332.

Obviously my above post is an exaggeration but it really is pretty flat. The toughest part is the roughness of Heidelburg road and the wind sometimes blows out that way with little to no natural protection so ride in the bunch.

On a side note, and it doesn't really affect the climbing but the finish route changed slightly last year.

post-58906-0-71238200-1581328423_thumb.png

Thanks for the feedback. Yes it shouldn't really affect the climbing.

Still too early in the week to speculate on the weather i assume (yes these 10 day forecasts don't seem to hold much water... cough cough).

Hoping for decent weather on the day.

On a side note, and it doesn't really affect the climbing but the finish route changed slightly last year.

attachicon.gifCapture.PNG

Thanks for the feedback. Yes it shouldn't really affect the climbing.

Still too early in the week to speculate on the weather i assume (yes these 10 day forecasts don't seem to hold much water... cough cough).

Hoping for decent weather on the day.

Yeah I don't want to ride in rain! Cold and wind I can handle, have raced in temps near zero and with wind so bad they cancelled the race after I started and TBH I didn't mind, but rain, I hate.

Only realized that I haven't entered for the race. Luckily I was able to do a online registration at 7:50am.lol

Lols, just before the Cycle Events guys got to the office at 8, to manually flip the registration cut off switch  :D

Strava one looks similar to yours

post-58906-0-61710200-1581329714_thumb.png

One of the best organised races on the calendar but a question for the organizers:

Those rumble strips on R557 at crossing with R551 are really terrible - of the bone rattling, wheel breaking kind... :eek: Any possibility to get some conveyer belt strips out there?