2020 Tour of Good Hope

FootballingCyclist

True. I mean Wiggo only had to hold 440W for the hour record. Jaco would be lining up for Strade Bianche on Saturday with that sort of power

Not sure Strada is going to happen with all that is going on but yes agree.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Estimated power from Strava, not actual. If he was doing that he would be winning Grand Tours / World TT Championships.  

Just when I thought those could be really good stats, I get schooled by a WT coach.. Thanks John..

Regarding the coverage of the TOGH, Their Twitter updates are quite regular which is great to see, I am following it on there, Much better and more frequent updates than we even had for SA Road Nationals.

Estimated power from Strava, not actual. If he was doing that he would be winning Grand Tours / World TT Championships.  

For curiosity sakes, What kinda average power you reckon off the top of your head he was pushing out for that TT as the speed and time are correct? I know you could work it out to the T but I'm just curious to a rough estimate. 

You can send DM me the invoice for advice given :ph34r:  

Just when I thought those could be really good stats, I get schooled by a WT coach.. Thanks John..

No not schooled at all, just adding insight into the convo so everyone knows what we looking at. Just like I get info often on technical stuff on here.

For curiosity sakes, What kinda average power you reckon off the top of your head he was pushing out for that TT as the speed and time are correct? I know you could work it out to the T but I'm just curious to a rough estimate. 

You can send DM me the invoice for advice given :ph34r:  

Around 4.5wkg without going into detail on it

when you look on strava it seems most pros don't share their power data :(

Its an option that Strava has for them 

when you look on strava it seems most pros don't share their power data :(

I can understand why they don't share it - but I wonder if in practice there is anything worthwhile to be gained from studying a competitors power data?

I can understand why they don't share it - but I wonder if in practice there is anything worthwhile to be gained from studying a competitors power data?

In combination with heart rate, weight and terrain profile, it makes for good analysis with regard to form/fitness

In combination with heart rate, weight and terrain profile, it makes for good analysis with regard to form/fitness

So you figure out the guy is not in the best of form, what are you going to do, train less? Surely your training is based on your own "profile" & goals. 

Again, I would also not take chances if I was a pro. But I can't imagine there is amazing things to be gained by seeing a competitor's power output on a Strava segment.

So you figure out the guy is not in the best of form, what are you going to do, train less? Surely your training is based on your own "profile" & goals. 

Again, I would also not take chances if I was a pro. But I can't imagine there is amazing things to be gained by seeing a competitor's power output on a Strava segment.

Not really. You look at individual points in a ride, especially in Road Races. Take a climb where you suffered against and opponent, now you know by how much to improve. Then the next climb where he suffered, now you know how to build up to that climb, maybe push the pace early and then he suffers. Check his sprint, know how long he can keep peek power, same with climbs, know how long he can sustain, now you know how long you need to keep that power for in training rides.

Just remember, what happens in racing was prepared for from the previous race. Take TdF, they start preparing on what the guys where capable off as soon as they finish one, then they adjust as they get other data/insight in races leading up to the next one.

I'm a noob to cycling so that's a disclaimer to the following bit it does seem to me that this ultra scientific approach can make tje racing a little dry and clinical. Isn't there something to be said for not knowing how much power you can hold and for how long or not knowing your adversaries strength relative to your own? Couldn't that make it even more exciting?