Consequences of 8 speed 11-32 to 11-42

johanhorak

When you've spent a truck load on an e-bike and want to take it easy on your legs? ????

in what universe does a R6k 8spd cassette make sense?

who said it made sense? but it exists, therefore its an option.

its all relative, some people pay R150k for a mtb, others pay R6k for a cassette.

in what universe does a R6k 8spd cassette make sense?

or lest we forget, R20-30k for an electronic groupset, because pushing and pulling a cable lever is such hard work while riding a MTB...

who said it made sense? but it exists, therefore its an option.

its all relative, some people pay R150k for a mtb, others pay R6k for a cassette.

Edited by gemmerbal

Thanks Gemerbal

She has a 36 upfront. If she hits 35 km per hour it's a record. She likes biking but not big on speed.

Now I understand the extender.

Hi Johan. My bike used to be a 3x10 with 11-36 at the back. I replaced my tripple with a single blade and installed a 10spd wide ratio cassette with 11-46 tooth. With that big sprocket at the back my existing derailleur wouldnt shift onto the 46 so in order to achieve that i simply installed the hanger extender and thus i could re-use my existing derailleur. The extender simply enables a short cage derailleur to be shifted onto larger sprockets than what it was designed for. The installation is simple, just remove the derailleur and install the extender. I made a thread of my “budget 3x10 to 1x10 conversion” with pics.

Hi

Good question. It was designed as such. Or I bought it like that. How difficult would it be to make it three upfront?

How did your wife end up with a 1 x 8 drivetrain?

If you converted a 3 x 8 to 1 x 8, just put the old crankset on. It will give her her the climbing ratios she needs.

buying new crankset with chainblades as well as FD and shifter. If the current wheelset permits, it could almost be better to just upgrade the cassette and RD/shifter. That might be cheaper, if thats the way you decide to go. most shimano freebodies are able to accept a 10/11/12spd cassette. then it is just a matter of buing a new RD+shifter.

loads of upgrade kits on the market! your starting point (if you decide to go this direction) is to determine what freehub is on the wheel, then you will know if you will be able to fit a 10/11/12 spd cassette. if not and you are limited to sticking with 8spd, you have a backup plan with the derailleur extender etc.

I also took me a while to understand that it is possible to fit a 11 or 12 spd cassette on my bike, which I bought as a 3x10spd. modern tech for you...

Hi

Good question. It was designed as such. Or I bought it like that. How difficult would it be to make it three upfront?

Very helpful. My gut tells me the cassette change will be simpler.

buying new crankset with chainblades as well as FD and shifter. If the current wheelset permits, it could almost be better to just upgrade the cassette and RD/shifter. That might be cheaper, if thats the way you decide to go. most shimano freebodies are able to accept a 10/11/12spd cassette. then it is just a matter of buing a new RD+shifter.

loads of upgrade kits on the market! your starting point (if you decide to go this direction) is to determine what freehub is on the wheel, then you will know if you will be able to fit a 10/11/12 spd cassette. if not and you are limited to sticking with 8spd, you have a backup plan with the derailleur extender etc.

I also took me a while to understand that it is possible to fit a 11 or 12 spd cassette on my bike, which I bought as a 3x10spd. modern tech for you...

Hi

do you know the make and model of the bike?

more info is helpful for advice, for instance 26 or 29 inch makes quite a difference in selecting gear ratios

Hi David

This is what my local bike shop had to say about the L-Twoo. I am not sure how well he knows these products. They are cheap. But reviews I have read on AliExpress users give it high 4.8 out of 5.

Lbs quote, "Cassette R480, derailleur R285, shifter R360, chain R240... Labour approx R200. Guarantee =0 ????"

9 speed - L-Twoo has the 11/42 with a suitable derailleur and shifter. Probably cheaper that importing and messing around with the 8 speed. Rushsports is the agent.

Knowing I'm probably going to take some stick for my comment to come I've prepared my flamesuit so here goes ...

I've tried, used and still use some of these 'Heath Robinson' wide range solutions on 9 and 10 speed MTB groupsets including the hanger extenders over the last few years.

Unless you or the intended user are the type who are prepared to accept sub standard shifting I wouldn't bother. In most cases it'll work OK and now and then need a little 'nudge' to get up one or 2 of the gears. If you get it to shift up properly it'll not shift down smoothly over all gears and even be very slow to shift down if at all on those.

As a cheap way to extend the use of the older equipment it is a way to go about it but I'd keep this in mind. I'm sure many hub 'spurts' will have had theirs working perfectly but this is my experience.

Hi

I can't think of any 8 speed that comes with a 1 x drivetrain. 8 speed is normally on entry level bikes which generally have 3 rings upfront. I could be mistaken though.

I thought maybe you (or your wife) had done a conversion. If you had the old crankset lying around, you could have just put that back on. But as someone said, buying a new crankset is probably not cost effective vs the cassette options.