First Ride: The Specialized Turbo Levo SL Changes The Game

Bike Hub Features

Okay, so most opinions and comments are in some way guided by the PRICE ....

From the article:

After riding the Levo SL, I'm convinced that lightweight e-bikes are the future of trail riding but there is one thing holding them back from mainstream adoption. The price.

Turbo Levo SL Comp Alloy - ZAR 105,000

Turbo Levo SL Comp Carbon - ZAR 125,000

Turbo Levo SL Expert Carbon - ZAR 155,000

Turbo Levo SL S-Works Carbon - ZAR 200,000

Turbo Levo SL S-Works Founder's Edition (limited to 250 bikes) - ZAR 250,000

BUT, in the world of ebikes the entry level model is actually NOT that badly priced ....

Dare I say it also looks better than most "normal" ebikes.

The top of the range (of what I could find) of other brands:

Trek Rail 9.8: R 120 000

Scott eRide 910: R 85 000

Merida eOne Forty 9000: R 107 000

I couldn't find pricing on the 

Cannondale Habit NEO

Sure there are several others

Including the new Santa Cruz range

ebikes are not cheap to start with, but it does feels like the Spaz range starts quite high and then shoots the lights out!

Disclaimer 1 - I haven't done a side by side comparison of spec (frame, forks, gears etc). I imagine that R100k gets you a similar bike across the brands.

Disclaimer 2 - I ride a Camber, so am not anti Spaz

Edited by splat

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The fundamental difference between the two is that the Turbo Levo Comp has a 700wh battery vs. a 500wh battery for the Turbo Levo. The bigger battery is definitely the way to go.

What are the differences between the "Turbo Levo" and the "Turbo Levo Comp" ?

Only thing I can find on the website is a different front fork/shock (?), and possibly a different seat post.

Then again, the website is not up to date with the gear specs, as the units on the showroom has better specs than the website suggests (GX on the floor models, NX on the website) .... Should add that most manufacturers websites seems out of date in terms of what is on the floor, making it very difficult to do your homework from the keyboard.

EDIT - 2019 Turbo Levo (on the showroom floor) has GX. 2020 spec is NX ....

The fundamental difference between the two is that the Turbo Levo Comp has a 700wh battery vs. a 500wh battery for the Turbo Levo. The bigger battery is definitely the way to go.

Thank you

ebikes are not cheap to start with, but it does feels like the Spaz range starts quite high and then shoots the lights out!

Yesterday I would have disagreed with you ..... regarding the entry level price point options.

The Spez Turbo Levo goes for R80k.  A considerable chuck of change for us mere mortals.  BUT, it comes with decent components, proper shock, proper fork, Eagle GX components (which caries through the hub etc), tubeless ready, etc .....

Now you look at the R60k to R70k options in the other brands ....

- Scott comes with tires that must be replaced if you want to go tubeless.  And the dealer want R 2 500 to deliver the bike with tubeless ready tires.  (and I am currently a Scott rider)

- most in this price range comes with NX or SX ... bushing in the derailures for a R70k bike ..  :thumbdown:

- and one could say that Spez has figured out how to fit the battery without it being in your face .... most competitors have yet to get this right.

So by the time you have tweaked the entry level e-bike you are at the price of the Turbo Levo.

BUT WAIT ..... the above holds true for 2019 !!!

Spez was kind enough to keep the R80k price tag and to down grade the 2020 Turbo Levo to NX ...  :wacko:   :cursing:   :thumbdown:

What are the differences between the "Turbo Levo" and the "Turbo Levo Comp" ?

Only thing I can find on the website is a different front fork/shock (?), and possibly a different seat post.

Then again, the website is not up to date with the gear specs, as the units on the showroom has better specs than the website suggests (GX on the floor models, NX on the website) .... Should add that most manufacturers websites seems out of date in terms of what is on the floor, making it very difficult to do your homework from the keyboard.

EDIT - 2019 Turbo Levo (on the showroom floor) has GX. 2020 spec is NX .... ????

Was speaking to a friend about this yesterday. Spez's prices are going up at a rate higher than inflation and the spec level keeps dropping.

In 2016 I bought a Stumpy Expert model - at that point it was specced with 1x11 X01 and XT brakes, and a Fox factory shock. Then 1x12 came out and all of a sudden 1x12 GX replaced 1x11 XO1 - that makes no sense to me - 1x12 was just an evolution to gearing, GX Eagle is in no way equal to 1x11 XO1. Along with that the Expert builds came with lower spec brakes and suspension. It's like every time there is a new release the parts spec just gets worse!

The comp level bikes are now being released with Tektro brakes, X Fusion droppers, RS Recon forks, and NX groupsets where they used to at least come with SLX brakes, Spaz droppers, and XT groupos - and this at a much higher price than a few years ago.

And the joke is the frames and geo are getting much more capable, but with the crap spec you cannot make use of the extra capability. It's a joke.

I know there is alot of R&D involved - but the industry has lost it's mind thinking that charging 250k for a bicycle is okay. I can get a fully kitted out BMW 1200GS for that price - and there is alot more R&D and tech in that thing...

Anyway, I'm flogging a dead horse here. As long as we pay it, they will continue asking those prices.

Was speaking to a friend about this yesterday. Spez's prices are going up at a rate higher than inflation and the spec level keeps dropping.

In 2016 I bought a Stumpy Expert model - at that point it was specced with 1x11 X01 and XT brakes, and a Fox factory shock. Then 1x12 came out and all of a sudden 1x12 GX replaced 1x11 XO1 - that makes no sense to me - 1x12 was just an evolution to gearing, GX Eagle is in no way equal to 1x11 XO1. Along with that the Expert builds came with lower spec brakes and suspension. It's like every time there is a new release the parts spec just gets worse!

The comp level bikes are now being released with Tektro brakes, X Fusion droppers, RS Recon forks, and NX groupsets where they used to at least come with SLX brakes, Spaz droppers, and XT groupos - and this at a much higher price than a few years ago.

And the joke is the frames and geo are getting much more capable, but with the crap spec you cannot make use of the extra capability. It's a joke.

I know there is alot of R&D involved - but the industry has lost it's mind thinking that charging 250k for a bicycle is okay. I can get a fully kitted out BMW 1200GS for that price - and there is alot more R&D and tech in that thing...

Anyway, I'm flogging a dead horse here. As long as we pay it, they will continue asking those prices.

Yeah absolutely agree with you there, more often than not their bikes would run 1 level lower parts than their direct opposition yet, if you look at the market research reports hey are a top selling brand so clearly we (and me, as our household has 4 of their bikes)  are allowing this. We can also not only point fingers at them though, there are other culprits in the cycling world.

The same holds true for the car industry if we look at what "standard or basic" specification is on some cars. When I bought my little VW Up in 2016 it came fitted with a R 4000 odd "Driver" package that included rear park distance and cruise control. At that time BMW had the audacity to charge in the vicinity of R 10k for similarly basic rear park distance on a million plus M4, yet I'm pretty sure they sell more of those than VW does Ups.

• 8 months later...

A group of us demo'd Specialized Levo SLs. Enough assistance to give you a boost, like you're fitter and stronger than what you actually are. It's still a good workout. Must be what being a pro feels like. I don't think ebikes like these are an issue on the trails. The turbo mode is overpowered which makes even steep climbs a breeze. We ended up exploring and riding more than usual. The bike is very capable and I managed to clear some descents I would not have attempted on my usual bike, but that's due to the more modern geometry.

Edited by MrJacques

'walk assist function' ... I just shake my head

It's pretty handy when you have to lug the bike up a section that's too steep too ride.

• 1 month later...

The Spez Turbo Levo goes for R80k.  A considerable chuck of change for us mere mortals.  BUT, it comes with decent components, proper shock, proper fork, Eagle GX components (which caries through the hub etc), tubeless ready, etc .....

Now you look at the R60k to R70k options in the other brands ....

- Scott comes with tires that must be replaced if you want to go tubeless.  And the dealer want R 2 500 to deliver the bike with tubeless ready tires.  (and I am currently a Scott rider)

- most in this price range comes with NX or SX ... bushing in the derailures for a R70k bike ..  :thumbdown:

- and one could say that Spez has figured out how to fit the battery without it being in your face .... most competitors have yet to get this right.

So by the time you have tweaked the entry level e-bike you are at the price of the Turbo Levo.

Before comparing the added components, the guts of the bike needs to be compared. 

Ive heard bad news around the Brose motors being fitted to the Levo's, specifically the belts breaking. That said Spez have added an extra 2yrs to the motor warranty on all 2.1 fitted Levo's.

It might make sense to first ascertain design and warranty for the bones of the bike before considering brand until e-bikes are more main stream (although some might argue they are already).

So do you ride a Bosch, Yamaha or Brose? Your choice, but these these are the most expensive components of an e-bike and really should be at the centre of your selection.

So do you ride a Bosch, Yamaha or Brose? Your choice, but these these are the most expensive components of an e-bike and really should be at the centre of your selection.

Don't forget Shimano Steps. From a user perspective though, the Mission Control app from Specialized is really next level and difficult to beat. 

Although I'd wager Shimano is fast closing that gap with their Steps system. 

Orbea Rise and Merida spring to mind.