First Ride: The Specialized Turbo Levo SL Changes The Game

Bike Hub Features

Keyboard Warrior: "These damned e-bikes cost as much as a motorbike!"

Ducati: "Hold my birra."

Click here: BRRRRAAAAAAAAAP

Ducati unveiled Thursday afternoon the new benchmark for superbikes in the Superleggera V4. Based on Ducati’s Panigale V4, the Superleggera V4 throws all of that heavy aluminum in the trash and replaces it with giant swathes of lightweight carbon fiber. The entire load bearing structure—including frame, subframe, swingarm, and wheels—is crafted from CFRP. All of that carbon allows the Superleggera to lose a little over 35 pounds.

Structural carbon, however, is incredibly expensive to manufacture. Ducati hasn’t yet confirmed what this limited-to-500-units bike will cost, but thanks to a leaked spec list, it’s expected to hit the market for a cool $100,000.

The base Panigale is $40k... R900 000 to save 15kg (roughly 10 percent of the total weight, it seems). 

Bargain.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes but can you do Conterman's on it?

Ducati unveiled Thursday afternoon the new benchmark for superbikes in the Superleggera V4. Based on Ducati’s Panigale V4, the Superleggera V4 throws all of that heavy aluminum in the trash and replaces it with giant swathes of lightweight carbon fiber. The entire load bearing structure—including frame, subframe, swingarm, and wheels—is crafted from CFRP. All of that carbon allows the Superleggera to lose a little over 35 pounds.

Structural carbon, however, is incredibly expensive to manufacture. Ducati hasn’t yet confirmed what this limited-to-500-units bike will cost, but thanks to a leaked spec list, it’s expected to hit the market for a cool $100,000.

The base Panigale is $40k... R900 000 to save 15kg (roughly 10 percent of the total weight, it seems). 

Bargain.

The locally made BST HyperTEK is even more I think (And also has a Ducati link with the designer).

https://bst-hypertek.com

Tom

Bargain.

I have ridden the Turbo Levo V1 and loved it. Then I rode the V2 and loved it even more. My wife also takes very kindly to it after trying one.

I am also certain that I would love the SL version, and would happily replace my current non-motorized trail bike with one, if I had the funds to do so. The price also doesn't surprise me, let's be honest, this isn't a Makro-spec bike with a fancy motor and battery just slapped on, this is a Stumpy (which ranges from about R50-150K) with added engineering,added high end battery, high end motor and high end electronic controller so it SHOULD cost a hell of a lot more than the bike it's based on.

This may very well be the perfect amount of assistance and weight to be the single quiver bike for a bunch of riders who felt that the normal version was just a little too heavy and assisted to be their daily.

While I will not be getting one (as I have my sights set on a tri bike) I hope those who do will reap much enjoyment from them.

I was looking at one yesterday in a bike shop. You are 100% right. It is a stumpy and it is beautiful

Mamil drinks beer and watches half a million bucks worth of bikes hum? by

Specialized:" This ebike revolutionizes everything."
Santa Cruz :" Here, hold my beer."

I don't think the Santa Cruz Heckler is worth the hype, the Specialized e-bikes (especially the new Levo SL) just seems so much better executed. Granted, Specialized has been in the e-bike game for a bit longer.

The marketing guys at Santa Cruz must be kicking themselves that they didn't launch these bikes before Specialized...   

Specialized:" This ebike revolutionizes everything."
Santa Cruz :" Here, hold my beer."

The locally made BST HyperTEK is even more I think (And also has a Ducati link with the designer).

https://bst-hypertek.com

Tom

Pierre Terblanche. He designed the Cagiva Mito which the styling of the Ducati 916 was based on. He also designed the Ducati 999 which unfortunately for him came after the utterly gorgeous 916-996

Okay, so most opinions and comments are in some way guided by the PRICE ....

From the article:

After riding the Levo SL, I'm convinced that lightweight e-bikes are the future of trail riding but there is one thing holding them back from mainstream adoption. The price.

Turbo Levo SL Comp Alloy - ZAR 105,000
Turbo Levo SL Comp Carbon - ZAR 125,000
Turbo Levo SL Expert Carbon - ZAR 155,000
Turbo Levo SL S-Works Carbon - ZAR 200,000
Turbo Levo SL S-Works Founder's Edition (limited to 250 bikes) - ZAR 250,000

YES, the TOP model is for a select clientele.

BUT, in the world of ebikes the entry level model is actually NOT that badly priced ....

Dare I say it also looks better than most "normal" ebikes.

From the article:

After riding the Levo SL, I'm convinced that lightweight e-bikes are the future of trail riding but there is one thing holding them back from mainstream adoption. The price.

BUT, in the world of ebikes the entry level model is actually NOT that badly priced ....

250K....? i DO hope they offer more than just a few colours so that I can have one of each...

So was in Cycle lab the other day, coulda swore I saw a Cippolini or some such Italian carbon road bike 200k ?

No e - anything, now that seems a tad excessive to me.

Ahhh but to dream, we all need that little bit of droolworthy unobtanium to keep us interested hey...

Anyway, back on topic, maybe the Spaz marketeers bring out the 250k bike to make the 105 and 120k bikes look like a bargain ?

So was in Cycle lab the other day, coulda swore I saw a Cippolini or some such Italian carbon road bike 200k ?

No e - anything, now that seems a tad excessive to me.

Ahhh but to dream, we all need that little bit of droolworthy unobtanium to keep us interested hey...

Anyway, back on topic, maybe the Spaz marketeers bring out the 250k bike to make the 105 and 120k bikes look like a bargain ?

Well the Scott Spark 900 Pro SL is R 200k at cyclelab. Think there is also a road bike for that sort of money.

But it is a mark of the sport that prices are increasing above inflation (Spark 910 which was under R 50k 5 or 6 years ago is now north of R 80k for similar level of components)

From the article:

Agreed, and having tried the Comp version of the current Turbo Levo, I'd be very happy with either that or the Comp Carbon. No need to go north in model or price, those would do nicely.

Agreed, and having tried the Comp version of the current Turbo Levo, I'd be very happy with either that or the Comp Carbon. No need to go north in model or price, those would do nicely.

What are the differences between the "Turbo Levo" and the "Turbo Levo Comp" ?

Only thing I can find on the website is a different front fork/shock (?), and possibly a different seat post.

Then again, the website is not up to date with the gear specs, as the units on the showroom has better specs than the website suggests (GX on the floor models, NX on the website) .... Should add that most manufacturers websites seems out of date in terms of what is on the floor, making it very difficult to do your homework from the keyboard.

EDIT - 2019 Turbo Levo (on the showroom floor) has GX. 2020 spec is NX .... ????

Edited by ChrisF