Tygerberg MTB Club Trails

JasonS

Tygerberg MTB Club  

129 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a member of the club?

• Yes
    • No
    • No, because most of the 150km of the trails are generally speaking, smooth as tar.
  2. 2. If you answered No to Q1: If TMTB was more open to the suggestions of it's members iro the technical nature of the trails, would you consider becoming a member?

• Yes
    • No
    • N/A: I am a member
  3. 3. If you answered Yes to Q1: Would you like to see more of your membership fees spent on increasing the variety of the trail network?

• Yes
    • No
    • N/A: I am not a member

/snip

I am going off my own topic here, to get back to it, I agree that there is a desire and place for more technical trails, question remains where? 

My 2c worth...

Anywhere, really. There's loooads of potential slope on all the farms in the network. Just grade tehm properly, mark them as "inspect first" like all trails should be marked, and go for it. 

BTW - most of the guys "hating" TBMTBC actually don't. The trails are fun, there are loads of them, and they've done exceptionally well in expanding the MTB trail network as well as sponsoring the race series that they have given support to. 

It's just that... well... we'd like a teensy bit more choice in trail technicality, please. Given that they're big on marketing their support for grassroots and development of MTB, I think it's also within their interest to back that up with trails that suit that development, and skills progression. 

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been hesitant (and fought the urge to) to add my 2 Zim cents to this debate.

I think they are not to keen to build a trail / track that is a proper black grade, that only properly skilled riders can tackle without fear of loosing life or limb.

You know a cyclist/Mtb'er. As soon as they don the lycra, put the helmet on and plonk their behinds on the seat, they all turn into expert cyclists,  and can tackle any trail or track.

They do not read warning signs / trail markers, and should they get injured because they were in over their heads, the club / trail builder / route markers gets blamed. 

Not saying this is the case, but it does make sense that the fear of possible litigation (even though it was because of own stupidity) may be a contributing factor.

I've been hesitant (and fought the urge to) to add my 2 Zim cents to this debate.

I think they are not to keen to build a trail / track that is a proper black grade, that only properly skilled riders can tackle without fear of loosing life or limb.

You know a cyclist/Mtb'er. As soon as they don the lycra, put the helmet on and plonk their behinds on the seat, they all turn into expert cyclists,  and can tackle any trail or track.

They do not read warning signs / trail markers, and should they get injured because they were in over their heads, the club / trail builder / route markers gets blamed. 

Not saying this is the case, but it does make sense that the fear of possible litigation (even though it was because of own stupidity) may be a contributing factor.

But they're quite happy to build trails that can see speeds in excess of 40kph in areas, and result in actual broken bones and such? Remember - tech doesn't equal fast, it equals technically challenging. Rocks. Roots. Off camber. Loose shale etc etc. 

I hear you, I hear you, and I agree. BUT......... chances of getting seriously injured is more pronounced on the real gnarly and technical stuff. 

A dude arrives at a steep, rocky drop off at speed, panics, grabs a handful of front brake and goes flying over the bars, and lands face first into the rocks. You get my drift?

All because he did not read the trail grading / over estimated his own skills. Now he wants to sue somebody for building such dangerous trails that puts his life at risk, etc. 

When I saw the announcements in my inbox of Bloemendal and Conters closing because of Corona I just knew it.....

... another bikehub Tygerberg berm discussion this Friday  :blink:

When I saw the announcements in my inbox of Bloemendal and Conters closing because of Corona I just knew it.....

... another bikehub Tygerberg berm discussion this Friday  :blink:

Their trails are still open, though, afaik. Just the facilities there that are closed. 

Their trails are still open, though, afaik. Just the facilities there that are closed. 

Haha! Thanks for the correction guys, not really the point of my post but let's not spread even more fake news  ^_^

I don't think voting for a bit more tech is implying they build 50kms of massive drops with monster rockgardens and stain your bib decents... how about start with a more 'challenging' line here and there along the existing trails on the side and if the mileage on these sections proves to be high the pro-tech voters were right and if not, it answers itself? Again, not asking to replicate DarkFest here!

I hear you, I hear you, and I agree. BUT......... chances of getting seriously injured is more pronounced on the real gnarly and technical stuff. 

A dude arrives at a steep, rocky drop off at speed, panics, grabs a handful of front brake and goes flying over the bars, and lands face first into the rocks. You get my drift?

All because he did not read the trail grading / over estimated his own skills. Now he wants to sue somebody for building such dangerous trails that puts his life at risk, etc. 

You just design the trail to naturally slow the riders down before getting to the "Slow Tech" sections .. and signage with a chicken run also works wonders ... or a sign that says "get off and walk if you don't know this section of trail" .. but shortened to whatever works.

You just design the trail to naturally slow the riders down before getting to the "Slow Tech" sections .. and signage with a chicken run also works wonders ... or a sign that says "get off and walk if you don't know this section of trail" .. but shortened to whatever works.

That why there are (and should be) signs. Simple enough. Riders own responsibility to scope out a trail before hitting features.

Also....tech does not necessarily mean big drops at all.

Take away the berms...boom instantly more tech trail that requires more bike handling skill...and...no harder trail grading.

I have no idea why people in RSA insist tech implies jumps or drops or why they insist things will be hit blind. I mean if you hit it at all it's your own damn responsibility....so long as the builder/club did their due diligence (aka signed it properly) to warn you.

Edited by Thermophage

the meeting invitation sent to members DID elude to some nice new trails for the new year .... details were to be discussed at the meeting.

Then we got the email stating the meeting is canceled, as per the CR session ....

Todays emails - effectively all but Meerendal have closed their restaurants and shops, but the trails are still open.  So those that got in the habit of a long ride, then a coffee/water/something cold before the return ride ... make sure your water bottles are full.

That why there are (and should be) signs. Simple enough. Riders own responsibility to scope out a trail before hitting features.

Also....tech does not necessarily mean big drops at all.

Take away the berms...boom instantly more tech trail that requires more bike handling skill...and...no harder trail grading.

I have no idea why people in RSA insist tech implies jumps or drops or why they insist things will be hit blind. I mean if you hit it at all it's your own damn responsibility....so long as the builder/club did their due diligence (aka signed it properly) to warn you.

SPOT ON !!

Been teaching Maritz from day - if you dont KNOW the trail, ride it SLOW.  And if it is a "difficult" and blind trail - WALK sections before storming in.  Get to the know the trail, come around for a second lap and pick up the speed just a tad .... now you know the trail and your limits, enjoy to your skill level.

Cant we just have one trail that is for enduro that threy can chop and change once a year to keep it fresh that can be marked with a massive board with all the dangers involved. The one and for me the biggest point is that youth develoment for downhill / enduro style racing witch is more fun than xc lets be honest. Is South Africa going to say no to developing more egressive style of riding because of the odd fool that cant read the signs and get injured.In stead I am spending 40k a year so i can ride decent trails once a month in Europe.

Cant we just have one trail that is for enduro that threy can chop and change once a year to keep it fresh that can be marked with a massive board with all the dangers involved. The one and for me the biggest point is that youth develoment for downhill / enduro style racing witch is more fun than xc lets be honest. Is South Africa going to say no to developing more egressive style of riding because of the odd fool that cant read the signs and get injured.In stead I am spending 40k a year so i can ride decent trails once a month in Europe.

https://mailchi.mp/tygerbergmtb.co.za/tygerberg-mtb-club-newsletter-855311?e=185d05f152

you lost me at "they don the lycra"