How often do you use your lockouts?

Butterbean

2018 Jetta, is that the 1.4 110Kw with 7 speed box?

YEah that box isn't suited to a heavy body shell like the Jetta. Its got a lower torque rating than the 6 speed unit fitted to the Tiguan and Golf Gti so it swaps cogs a lot to compensate. Can be irritating in traffic especially if there's continuous change of gradient involved

back to lock outs...

Full lockout are kinda useless on a MTB. hence I changed mine to a two compression setting adjust

Edited by DieselnDust

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I use my remote lockout on my HT all the time for switching between "Firm" and open. Whether racing or just joy riding.

I like the ability to just flip the lever at will as the terrain and gradient changes. Never found myself in the wrong setting.

However if I never had a remote lockout I would probably just leave it open. I dont like the idea of reaching down to my fork (let alone a shock on a DS) to make adjustments. Just sounds like a recipe for disaster mid ride.

YEah that box isn't suited to a heavy body shell like the Jetta. Its got a lower torque rating than the 6 speed unit fitted to the Tiguan and Golf Gti so it swaps cogs a lot to compensate. Can be irritating in traffic especially if there's continuous change of gradient involved

back to lock outs...

Full lockout are kinda useless on a MTB. hence I changed mine to a two compression setting adjust

when you do 10+km on tar just to get to the trails a "full lockout" is very handy.  

That said, even "full lockout" DO have some movement.  At least minimal bobbing as the knobllies Wizzzzz over the tar.

Experimented a bit, but never used the full lockout on trails ... defeats the purpose of having a dual suspension.  With the TREK EX5 it was ON or OFF .... too much bob with it open, and not enough movement locked out.  Scott with its three settings really has it nailed !!

I need to test the Giant Trance with its Meastro suspension.

Apparently the design is such that I wont need to lockout on tar.

So it appears the answer to using lockout is as much about the bike design as the rider preference ...

So it appears the answer to using lockout is as much about the bike design as the rider preference ...

I'm afraid that's just marketing. I found Maestro to bob more than any other suspension design I've owned - felt like a matrass in the open setting (this was on a 2016 Trance, as well as a 2017 Anthem). I was almost permanently in the medium setting when I had to pedal. Hopefully you find it more effective than I did.

The one bike that I've had that was superb in terms of small bump sensitivity and nearly no unnecessary bob was the Evil the Following - Dave Weagle knows suspension. It seems to be the case with pretty much any linkage design that has his name on it.

I'm afraid that's just marketing. I found Maestro to bob more than any other suspension design I've owned - felt like a matrass in the open setting (this was on a 2016 Trance, as well as a 2017 Anthem). I was almost permanently in the medium setting when I had to pedal. Hopefully you find it more effective than I did.

The one bike that I've had that was superb in terms of small bump sensitivity and nearly no unnecessary bob was the Evil the Following - Dave Weagle knows suspension. It seems to be the case with pretty much any linkage design that has his name on it.

I experienced exactly the same

VPP has more movement than I anticipated (first few mm) but while riding it feels solid

Anyone know how to permanently unlock Lefty ocho other than jubillee clipping the Remote lockout cable to the handlebar

As a Giant Trance (2019 model) owner - I can CONFIRM the suspension is pogo stick like at low speed (if pumped correctly) but "feels" firmer the faster you go.

Anyone know how to permanently unlock Lefty ocho other than jubillee clipping the Remote lockout cable to the handlebar

You don;t have many options. What can be done is the lock out can be detuned to a firmer compression setting

Apologies, but I haven't read the whole thread.

Isn't this what Specialized's Brain does? Or am I missing something?

Use my lockout a lot while climbing. Found that if I set the rebound at its fastest setting the effect is not that much. What is the best way to ensure that rebound setting is correct

I normally switch between the pedal setting and open on my shock quite often, and on tar climbs will lock the fork, today, because I put a new bottle cage on my bike, I left the shock open, because my bottle now gets in the way of the switch, I left it fully open, front and rear up a specific tar climb that I ride often, my strava time matched my previous best time, think I am just going to leave it all open from now on