How often do you use your lockouts?

Butterbean

I take mine off too. I'm unlikely to find myself next to Nino sprinting for the win.

Some science on this topic would be interesting. I believe riders often confuse legitimate suspension action for power loss.

I used it all the time, selectively between front and rear. I had the front lock out of my lefty modified to deliver a firm compression tune for climbing and out of the saddle pedalling but still able to absorb the trail. I sometimes forget it's in this mode (travel limited to 50mm).
Ill have the rear modified at the next service

Why not just buy an Epic?  :ph34r:

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have remote lockout on my hardtail, i use mine on all road rides up hill otherwise the shock absorbs all the energy.

I have a remote lockout on my HT SS.

I use mine when I remember but mostly I forget and it stays locked out. Sort of like a very heavy rigid.

I take mine off too. I'm unlikely to find myself next to Nino sprinting for the win.

Some science on this topic would be interesting. I believe riders often confuse legitimate suspension action for power loss.

Why not just buy an Epic?  :ph34r:

Wooden spoon award goes to.... NICK!!!!

Just because they don;t have a lot of travel anyway is no reason to suggest I should sling my leg over one :)

Edited by DieselnDust

Have remote lockout on my scalpel for front and back - never ever used it and subsequently found out the other day that it is not working anymore ( bike shop told me after a service), so i will never use it.

I Don't use mine at all. I Build my bike specifically without remote lock outs. They make the handle bar look cluttered. I'm not a podium contender, not even in my local town races. So I would much rather take the comfort of my plush suspension working than saving a watt or a second or three. 

Multiple times on every ride.

With the twin-lockout mounted on the bar it is EASY to use.  And you soon begin to experience the benefits.  Also, no worries about getting your hands down to the shocks when you suddenly encounter technical stuff ... click of the thumb and you are ready to blast down the trails.

never on the XC bike (100mm), on the enduro bike (Canyon Strive, 160mm) I use the shapeshifter but no lockout

I know friends who keep crashing on the ST because they forget to unlock. I don't feel any difference on the 100mm bike, on the 160mm the shape shifter does make quite a difference tough

Edited by Jbr

I generally use mine quite a lot, depends on the terrain - I'm also on a twin-lockout Scott DS. Like Chris said its just so easy to change between the settings and the change between the settings is massive.

The Scott bars looks like a birds nest, but my roady is the pretty bike - my MTB is the ugly step sister in the family, covered in battle scars  :whistling:  

I use mine all the time, on my 3rd bike with remote lockout so very used to it, very seldom go fully locked, there are like 1 or 2 hills where I will bother, otherwise its pretty much traction or decent.

I use the twinlock on my Scott all the time. Open for descents, locked out for climbs, middle setting for rougher climbs.

Singletracks usually between middle setting and open setting, hardly locked out, except on long climbs.

Good gravel roads locked out, corrugated gravel roads I sometimes go to the middle setting but hardly ever to fully open. 

There was a part of the Trans Baviaans route that was so badly corrugated last year that I went from my normally locked out setting when gravel grinding to completely open setting. My shock sags around 1-2cm in the open position. After about 50km I started to feel it in my upper legs and lower back as I'm not used to the "lower saddle position" when gravel grinding. Decided to rather lockout and take the corrugations than riding further with a "compromised bike setup".

I'm actually not kidding when I say I think I use the twinlock more than I use my gear shifter..

Edited by JohanDiv

I use the twinlock on my Scott all the time. Open for descents, locked out for climbs, middle setting for rougher climbs.

Singletracks usually between middle setting and open setting, hardly locked out, except on long climbs.

Good gravel roads locked out, corrugated gravel roads I sometimes go to the middle setting but hardly ever to fully open.

There was a part of the Trans Baviaans route that was so badly corrugated last year that I went from my normally locked out setting when gravel grinding to completely open setting. My shock sags around 1-2cm in the open position. After about 50km I started to feel it in my upper legs and lower back as I'm not used to the "lower saddle position" when gravel grinding. Decided to rather lockout and take the corrugations than riding further with a "compromised bike setup".

I'm actually not kidding when I say I think I use the twinlock more than I use my gear shifter..

Um... How does your saddle height change with your lockout?

Use the DT Swiss twin lockout a lot, it's 3 position(ODL) and makes quite a difference for me but with a dropper lever also my bars are quite cluttered, luckily I run 1 x gearing.

never on the XC bike (100mm), on the enduro bike (Canyon Strive, 160mm) I use the shapeshifter but no lockout

I know friends who keep crashing on the ST because they forget to unlock. I don't feel any difference on the 100mm bike, on the 160mm the shape shifter does make quite a difference tough

Interesting that you say the shapeshifter helps a lot. I've found that the biggest thing it helps with is to stop the front wheel wandering around so much on steep climbs more so than the slightly firmer rear suspension. That said I do treat it like a "proper enduro bike" and basically hit a chilled granny gear up most non-technical climbs  :P