Little bit extra

Chadvdw67

So, I have been cycling (MTB) now for about 8 months, really enjoying it, started off at maybe 20-30km a week, I am now trying to do 50km a week.

Now because I am starting to feel better I am trying to add a little excersize in the evening 3-4 nights a week, nothing hectic, just a littl extra activity, so far, and please keep in mind I am not particularly fit, I have been doing 4 x 5 minute "sets" on the orbital trainer, 3 sets 15 sit ups, 3 sets 15 push ups and 3 30-40second planks, and then try to end with some stretches.

Can you experienced mense tell me if it is a reasonable session? If not, what could I do to make it better? Or just keep on doing what I am doing?

I think that cyclists tend to not do nearly enough stretching. Cycling tends to reduce ones flexibility and can cause an imbalance between some muscle groups. Stretching and regular core exercises like you are doing, will only be beneficial.

As to your question:

If you feel uncomfortably sore and stiff the next day, then you should back off a little. Do fewer of whatever is causing the soreness, or take an extra rest day in between. 

If the next day you feel like you have not done anything with no sensation of even the slightest stiffness or tiredness of the muscles you exercised, then you should do a bit more.

Make sense? Personally, I like to think that our bodies will tell us what we should do, if only we take the care to listen.

Edited by DJR

Get yourself an olimpic bar and squat the crap out of your legs once a week.

If you want to do a little bit extra and not train for long I suggest doing

20sec on 40sec off X8

Rest a bit

20sec on 40sec off X8

Rest a bit

40sec on 2min off X10 (might want to do less of these ones for now when you start feeling like puking????)

Watch how the other guys will tell me I'm a joke but I've asked before and none of them can really give me/you the training advice you really need.

I think that cyclists tend to not do nearly enough stretching. Cycling tends to reduce ones flexibility and can cause an imbalance between some muscle groups. Stretching and regular core exercises like you are doing, will only be beneficial.

big part of the reason why I have been off the bike for nearly a month, and currently at a bio-kineticist ....

as good as cycling is .... you need a few more exercises to keep everything in balance ....

As to your question:

If you feel uncomfortably sore and stiff the next day, then you should back off a little. Do fewer of whatever is causing the soreness, or take an extra rest day in between.

If the next day you feel like you have not done anything with no sensation of even the slightest stiffness or tiredness of the muscles you exercised, then you should do a bit more.

Make sense? Personally, I like to think that our bodies will tell us what we should do, if only we take the care to listen.

Makes sense, the first week I started with the sit ups and push ups I thought I was going to die ???? not nearly as strong as I thought I was, now it is not that bad, the next day I feel I have exercised, but not overly sore or tender, and since starting with the stretches I feel better, but it is probably the hardest part for me, but will just keep going as I am for now

Get yourself an olimpic bar and squat the crap out of your legs once a week.

If you want to do a little bit extra and not train for long I suggest doing

20sec on 40sec off X8

Rest a bit

20sec on 40sec off X8

Rest a bit

40sec on 2min off X10 (might want to do less of these ones for now when you start feeling like puking????)

Watch how the other guys will tell me I'm a joke but I've asked before and none of them can really give me/you the training advice you really need.

I do add in burst on the orbital trainer, put the resistance up quite high and try maitain speed for about 2 minutes of the 5 minutes, not quite max effort, but it sure gets the butn in the legs going and heart rate peaks.

I was thinking about adding squats in, not necessarily weighted squats, but more just for stretching for now

So, I have been cycling (MTB) now for about 8 months, really enjoying it, started off at maybe 20-30km a week, I am now trying to do 50km a week.

Now because I am starting to feel better I am trying to add a little excersize in the evening 3-4 nights a week, nothing hectic, just a littl extra activity, so far, and please keep in mind I am not particularly fit, I have been doing 4 x 5 minute "sets" on the orbital trainer, 3 sets 15 sit ups, 3 sets 15 push ups and 3 30-40second planks, and then try to end with some stretches.

Can you experienced mense tell me if it is a reasonable session? If not, what could I do to make it better? Or just keep on doing what I am doing?

3 x 15 push ups AND 3 x 30-40 seconds planks  

That is very reasonable... keep it up