Shimano 1x12 XT Groupset problems?

Warren Pieterse

Jasper, where did you buy your hub?

A friend of mine brought it back from England before it all arrived in SA. But I guess now with the m6100 release those hubs should arrive soon.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

it's crazy how those XT hubs are failing. One of my friends had two XT hubs fail on him. I did some snooping around on the Shimano website. If you look at the XT/SLX hub workshop manual and compare it to the FH-MT510 HUB then you'll see the XT/SLX hubs are far more complex with these small springs internally.

I agree with the previous comments, just get the hope hub or go my rout and buy the cheap FH-MT510 hub. Much more simple and would probably last a forever.

For those tec guys if you would like to compare the XT/SLX hub ve the FH-MT510 hub

FH-MT510

https://si.shimano.com/pdfs/dm/DM-MBHB001-05-ENG.pdf

XT/SLX hub

https://si.shimano.com/pdfs/dm/DM-MAHB001-06-ENG.pdf

If there was one way to claw back some ground on sram it was flawless reliability and now Shimano are dropping the ball big time

I don't think their hubs have been very popular in the past die to cup and cone maintenance being something most people avoid but the cartridge bearings might have brought customers back (on xtr I think)

Let's se if they say something, if anything

If there was one way to claw back some ground on sram it was flawless reliability and now Shimano are dropping the ball big time

I don't think their hubs have been very popular in the past die to cup and cone maintenance being something most people avoid but the cartridge bearings might have brought customers back (on xtr I think)

Let's se if they say something, if anything

Shimano's hubs have been the MTB gold standard to me for decades. But gradually I've noticed they are dropping the ball here in the quest to keep up with trends. They should just stick to what works and just improve serviceability like making the bearing preload adjustment simpler

• 1 month later...

I want to know if anyone else has got any problems with this setup?

I fitted the setup but the hub has been giving issues from day one on. Second hub and still issues.

Terrible noise coming from the hub when pedaling hard.

A sound like that one? https://youtu.be/Ler8jynpkM4

Edited by Lurking Lori

I've experienced the same issue with my slx hub. It started making the same noise after the 5th ride. I upgraded less than a month ago. It's really frustrating. And to make matters worst, the wheel has to be rebuild to again the change the hub.

What's the best hub to replace it with?

I've experienced the same issue with my slx hub. It started making the same noise after the 5th ride. I upgraded less than a month ago. It's really frustrating. And to make matters worst, the wheel has to be rebuild to again the change the hub.

What's the best hub to replace it with?

At similar cost probably Hope Pro4

Maybe a DT Swiss 350 on sale

After i got my third replacement wheel in warranty, every wheel the same noise after a couple miles, i‘m offered to switch back to xt 11 groupset. My dealer told me it‘s a shimano issue and they have to fix their hubs.

Shimano's hubs have been the MTB gold standard to me for decades. But gradually I've noticed they are dropping the ball here in the quest to keep up with trends. They should just stick to what works and just improve serviceability like making the bearing preload adjustment simpler

Can't agree with you more.

Nothing wrong with cone/cup bearings, very expensive to manufacture due to tooling cost. The big S managed due to the volume they get from their massive fishing reel combined with cycling industries involvement.

Chasing the next marketing trend easily translates to shortcuts getting products to the market.

At similar cost probably Hope Pro4

Maybe a DT Swiss 350 on sale

Hope Pro4

I've owned:

Mavic

Shimano XTR 

Shimano Dura Ace (current)

DT Swiss

Hope Pro4

Industry Nine (current)

Local. Brilliant products & service.

Lyne JB02HE HIGH ENGAGEMENT REAR HUB

Since when is Mandrin one of the official languages in RSA?

Edited by DieselnDust