Shifting Rim-Tape

JanvdW

Hi,

I recently started picking up issues with rim tape shifting on a tubeless setup.

I have Giant P-XC2 rims on the bike, and had no issues for many years.

In the past couple of months I had 4 instances where the wheel just went flat, and the LBS informs me that the tape shifted.....again.

Can this be due to the wrong tape? wrong width of tape, wrong application, preparation or something totally different?

I am burning to get on the bike 1st of May but I need to fix it without being able to go to the bike shop.

(I have Duct Tape as well as very thick insulation tape available, but not new rim-tape)

Understanding the possible causes will help a lot in planning the best approach to fix the problem.

Thanx

Hi Jan, In my experience what works is cleaning the rim bed properly. I wash the rim, take all dirt/sticky residue from old rim tape off. Then using brake cleaner spray on the rim, and wipe with a clean cloth. Don't touch the rim bed again.

When applying tape stretch onto the rim.

Hope this helps

Hi,

It is the oem rims on the 2012/2013 Giant Anthem X1

For some reason I am not getting an image uploaded into the discussion.

Regards,

Jan

Is it the oem rims from 2014/2015 that have like a Grey sticker with white curve in it?

Thanks for the replies guys.

Managed to get tape yesterday, fixed the wheel last night and it is holding up so far.

Weather was bad this morning, but will be testing soon.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Just Feedback on this.

I got the Gorilla tape, re-done the back wheel completely.

Have done a 42,5km as well as 52km since then without any issues.

Thanks for all the input.

Cheers!

Do you guys recommend one layer only or perhaps two?  I may have stretched my Gorilla tape a little too much as the rim, she don't hold the air. Rime was really well cleaned as instructed.

• 7 months later...

Do you guys recommend one layer only or perhaps two?  I may have stretched my Gorilla tape a little too much as the rim, she don't hold the air. Rime was really well cleaned as instructed.

Hi,

Not sure if you got any replies. It was suggested to me to put 2 layers. I have done it with 2 layers and worked OK for a while but started giving issues again. I am not sure why my tape starts to shift after some time. 

Hi,

Not sure if you got any replies. It was suggested to me to put 2 layers. I have done it with 2 layers and worked OK for a while but started giving issues again. I am not sure why my tape starts to shift after some time. 

Jan try the following:

- start 2 to 3 spokes before the valve hole.

- pull the tape TIGHT as you apply it, the idea is that it forms to the "bottom" curve of the rim

- 1 or 2 times around the rim, continue 2 to 3 spokes past the valve hole.

- use a rag and really work that tape to form to the rim

Doing this I have not had issues with tubeless installations.

PS - I use Gorilla tape

PPS - obviously clean the rim properly before applying the tape.

Before buttoning everything up leave the wheel in the hot sun or work your way around with a hairdryer to help the glue stick properly.

Also using Gorilla Tape. 1000km done so far with zero pressure loss or leaks.

Hi,

I recently started picking up issues with rim tape shifting on a tubeless setup.

I have Giant P-XC2 rims on the bike, and had no issues for many years.

In the past couple of months I had 4 instances where the wheel just went flat, and the LBS informs me that the tape shifted.....again.

Can this be due to the wrong tape? wrong width of tape, wrong application, preparation or something totally different?

I am burning to get on the bike 1st of May but I need to fix it without being able to go to the bike shop.

(I have Duct Tape as well as very thick insulation tape available, but not new rim-tape)

Understanding the possible causes will help a lot in planning the best approach to fix the problem.

Thanx

I suspect that what has changed is that less time is allowed to fit the tape and hand the wheels back to you.

to ensure proper adhesion of the rim tape the rim bed should be cleaned with IsoPropyl alcohol and allowed to dry for an hour.

Apply the tape and fit the tyre with a tube in it. Inflate the tyre and allow to stand for 12 to 24hrs.

remove the tube and reseat the tyre with sealant.

Done.

However what I see happening shops is the rim tape is applied, tyre seated and sealant applied all within the hour to get the wheels out. This will cause the rim tape to move.

Tyre lubricant or soapy water is a must when fitting to prevent the tyre dragging poorly seated rim tape from one side to the other.

Nothing wrong with any of the rim tapes, its just that short cuts have crept in.

Apply the tape and fit the tyre with a tube in it. Inflate the tyre and allow to stand for 12 to 24hrs.

This.!

Seems like unnecessary inconvenience, but I've found it well worth the hassle.

Thanks for the replies guys, will give it a shot.

What I also figured out, is that there is an additional complication with the Giant P-CX2 and similar rims.

The rim is very narrow, with a deep / steep valley.

The result is that the tape is sitting almost vertical, with the uppermost part of the tape having additional tension due to the larger circumference. The tendency for this part is to "curl" back towards the inside to alleviate the tension, and this is the typical failure pattern I have observed.

The quick application may have worked "well enough" with a wider, flatter rim profile, but the deep narrow valley will require the additional effort you described, especially the tube treatment.

I was about to go back to tubes.....  :-o

Cheers! 

Have had good success with those rims in the past. Cut down a roll decent gaffer tape. Cut it slightly narrower then the 1" inch gorilla tape so it doesn't rise up the rim bead seat and get shifted by the tire bead. 

Run your finger down the middle of the tape strip ahead of where it sticks to the rum so it forms a "U" as you apply it. That way its settles down into the rim better without tension.

The rim is very narrow, with a deep / steep valley.

Is the tape you're using wide enough/wound appropriately considering the rim spec.?