Bike hoist

Markrose88

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a "Riva bicycle lift" rated up to 20kg - they come up for sale locally often.

Looks like this - https://www.wantitall.co.za/tools/rad-sportz-bicycle-hoist-quality-garage-storage-bike-lift-with-100-lb-capacity-even-works-as-ladder-__b000peuriq?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIn6fenp2i6QIVSbDtCh1fSAH_EAQYByABEgJsT_D_BwE

Otherwise, chat to William at Thule in Woodmead - they have solutions too.

Here is another one

https://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/452801314/Tork_Craft_Bicycle_Roof_Storage_Space_Saver_Hoist_Bike.html

Edited by V12man

Thats what I saw at CWC

Basically three pulleys and some rope ... would be interesting to see what these components will cost at a hardware store.

PLEASE NOTE ... if you let the rope slip the bike FALLS !! Would be intetesting to hear how people govern the rate of lowering the bike ...

?

Motorcycle-Lift-RML-1500XL-5150605-Range

With the space this thing is going to take up you might as well put the bikes next to each other on the floor

As others have mentioned if you're going the pulley route then you'll have to be able to hold onto that rope damn well, cause if it falls the first hit will probably just bounce the bike off the tyres but the second one is going to hit you or something else with the weight of an ebike behind the blow

Whatever you end up rigging please be careful

Basically three pulleys and some rope ... would be interesting to see what these components will cost at a hardware store.

PLEASE NOTE ... if you let the rope slip the bike FALLS !! Would be intetesting to hear how people govern the rate of lowering the bike ...

Hardware store pulleys are rated at about 5kg and have enough friction on the bushings that you may as well just pick the bike up. You'll need to go shopping at a boat shop or self-fabricate. Sliding gate rollers would probably also be a good alternative.

If going the boat shop route (many many dollar, but so much of shiny) you could add a jam cleat to your shopping list to address point 2.

Edited by droo

Hardware store pulleys are rated at about 5kg and have enough friction on the bushings that you may as well just pick the bike up. You'll need to go shopping at a boat shop or self-fabricate. Sliding gate rollers would probably also be a good alternative.

If going the boat shop route (many many dollar, but so much of shiny) you could add a jam cleat to your shopping list to address point 2.

And for the guys going this route ..... think about the size of the rope in your hand.

a thin steel cable WILL handle the weight ... and cut your hands ....

You may well end up going for a thicker rope, purely to protect your hands, which in turn means over-sizing the pulleys to handle the larger rope size .....

one of those little DIY projects that can turn expensive you do it properly ....

Thats what I saw at CWC

How heavy is the bike?

I have these for my bikes, I would not go over 15kg. It’s probably fine, but the rope is rather thin and the pulleys don’t make hoisting it up all that reassuring.

How heavy is the bike?

I have these for my bikes, I would not go over 15kg. It’s probably fine, but the rope is rather thin and the pulleys don’t make hoisting it up all that reassuring.

Typical e-bike, without waterbottle, saddle bag, peddles etc is around 23 kg ....

Spezialized's new super lightweight ebike comes in at about 19kg.

I would suggest people try to hoist up a FILLED 25 liter water can first .....  Typical bike hoists have a 2:1 leverage ratio.  For an ebike a 3:1 ratio may help, but you are still going to need quality ($$) pulleys, and a decent size rope, AND a proper means to control the lowering ....

Actually THIS may be an option for a person wanting to hoist 2 or 3 bikes.  In total comfort, and perfectly safe ....

Make a parking platform for the bikes (bolt down a few Holdfast bikes stands onto a pallet)

Park the bikes

Lift the platform as you would a roof top tent

https://www.fredlin.co.za/Our-Products/Hoist-for-Rooftop-tents/

We use one of these for a friends roof-top-tent.  NICE !!  You have perfect control during the lifting AND the lowering.  Most often we use a rechargeble drill to operate the mechanism for lowering.  The drill is just too week to lift the tent, takes a few minutes to lift using the slinger.

Cost was in the order of R 2 500 ... not sure what it costs now.

Edited by ChrisF

if you're talking boats then it's no longer a pulley but a "block". it is the same thing technically, but just costs way more!

https://www.bgboats.co.za/index.php?comp=product

go to blocks, and they call it "pulleys" bloody landlubbers!

jokes aside, the fancy ass sailing stuff will have special ball bearings that can handles the elements with no servicing and are imported and just boating so cost a bomb. and way overkill.

BG supply lots of caravan type tent and awning too, so you can find their stuff around quite a bit.

If you'r really cheap, you do what's called a spanish hoist,

you will need to measure everything proper and need the roof height for clearance, but it's the best purchase system for minimal blocks (rope is cheap, blocks are not)

b023c0ebc3629359459d913bfb914140.gif

I made one of these in my old warehouse shop to get bikes onto a mazanine level.  I had a bunch of old sailing stuff so used the blocks, pulleys and cleats to get it to work.  It was effortless to lift just about anything (I lifted myself once for funzies) and wouldn't fall if you let go of the rope.  I was pretty happy with it.

I think we are all missing the most obvious and cheapest solution ............ bring the bike into your bedroom or the lounge!