Sufferfest vs Zwift vs Fulgaz

DR ◣◢

Not close to being ready for mainstream use unfortunately. But they have certainly opened up what could be possible. I’m hoping some of the other platforms and stopped to take notice!!

Keeping in mind that for GTA to work you need 80-110 GB download and currently only on PC I believe. So the complications will come to demand vs. platforms supported etc. Currently, not much more than a smartphone and a speed/cadence sensor needed for Zwift etc. So they addressing a much bigger market.

But yes, the possibilities of tapping into such a week developed game platform is quite exciting!! I’m watching closely.

I also decided to try this GTA, you need to be a bit of a techy to get it up and running but there is a lot of assistance from users on their facebook page. The 90Gb is not bad since this is a once off thing as compared to Zwift's monthly subscriptions. I also think majority of people are on smart trainers lately which makes it a viable option for someone who wants to ride around and get virtually distracted from the pain of IDT. I was also super impressed with their routes and the steering option using a joy stick or keyboard. Downside for me is the vulgar language used when I have kids around. 

I don't think it is ready for the masses though and I am not about to get off Zwift anytime soon for GTA.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Settled on Zwift in the end. 

While it is a little gamey for my liking it does offer good entertainment while you sit it out. 

So far my fat ass is up to 22km / 200m climbing rides completing it in 1:06 +- and I'm enjoying it a lot! This from 5km on my first ride about a week ago. 

Here is to losing 25kg over the next few months. 

I really enjoy Zwift. Yes it is a bit gamey but if you just embrace that it's fun. Collecting the bikes and kit etc. It's all very puerile but so what.

Try signing up for a training plan.

The FTP builder one is good (IMO) for building base. It starts out feeling a bit too easy but builds up nicely. You put the trainer in ERG mode and just do the work that it tells you to do.

I tried Fulgaz yesterday and the power readings were way off and the footage was super juddery. This might be to do with my fibre line which seems to be a bit off at the moment. Plus I'm running it on my super low end laptop which is probably a bit light for Fulgaz. But for me it fits nicely between Rouvy and Zwift. Real footage with a teeni bit of gameification.

I'm back on Rouvy for now but I'll probably jump between Rouvy ans Zwift for the foreseeable future.

Thanks. I'll sign up for the FTP builder next week. Doing a run tonight to alternate a little. 

Rouvy is nice too. I just can't get my Apple Watch to pair correctly with it to get HR. Need to see what I can do there. 

While it is a little gamey for my liking it does offer good entertainment while you sit it out. 

So far my fat ass is up to 22km / 200m climbing rides completing it in 1:06 +- and I'm enjoying it a lot! This from 5km on my first ride about a week ago. 

Goodluck and enjoy the journey.

Rouvy is nice too. I just can't get my Apple Watch to pair correctly with it to get HR. Need to see what I can do there. 

I'd just go with what works for now. In my experience some of these platforms just seem to work better on certain operating systems.

Rouvy worked fine on my android tv box. Bkool not so much and I couldn't even install zwift.

On both of my laptops zwift couldn't connect to the bluetooth (actually a windows driver issue) without a dongle

Zwift is a GREAT tool and you are going to get much fitter on it.

• 3 months later...

Seems another player will soon be in the market.  You can sign up to be a beta tester https://cycleroyale.com/

Anyone heard anything about Cycle Royale?  FB page created a week ago https://www.facebook.com/cycleroyale

Absolutely zero information or images available, or am I missing something...

Another one that looks quite interesting, that supposedly should be launching soon (at least as a beta, for 1000 users, according to a post on their Facebook page) is Veloton:

https://velotoncycling.com/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGGgIppn6ZCfoRHn0rWEH7g

It is based on Pro Cycling Manager, something like that

Absolutely zero information or images available, or am I missing something...

Another one that looks quite interesting, that supposedly should be launching soon (at least as a beta, for 1000 users, according to a post on their Facebook page) is Veloton:

https://velotoncycling.com/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGGgIppn6ZCfoRHn0rWEH7g

It is based on Pro Cycling Manager, something like that

I have seen Veloton are launching soon, not holding my breath.  i signed up for beta testing over 2 yrs ago, still yet to receive any response or anything further on it.  Over the years they release video snippets of people racing on the platform, to sort of keep people interested.... so will wait and see!!

Edited by shaper

late to the party here, but i've been on zwift for a good few years and have run it on everything from an i7 beast to a 9yr old macbook air and even an Galaxy S8. all have been sufficient.

My recent debit order of ~R300 is too much for what I'm using it for, and in all likelihood will drop off. I'm going to give Sufferfest a bash and see what happens. I've just tried out using a Garmin 520 to run a program and it's actually fine too.

Basically, it's not a cycling avatar that's keeping me in the bike

late to the party here, but i've been on zwift for a good few years and have run it on everything from an i7 beast to a 9yr old macbook air and even an Galaxy S8. all have been sufficient.

My recent debit order of ~R300 is too much for what I'm using it for, and in all likelihood will drop off. I'm going to give Sufferfest a bash and see what happens. I've just tried out using a Garmin 520 to run a program and it's actually fine too.

If you are just doing structured workouts, there is ERGVideo https://ergvideo.com/ErgVideo-free/whats-free  (windows platform) The software is free and you can import your workouts, else if you use Trainingpeaks and have a plan, you can set up to directly import your daily workout.  There are also some free plans, but have not tried them

I have been on Sufferfest since 2013 and I must admit it's two completely different kettle of fish when comparing to Zwift. The fees on Sufferfest is also "getting up there" but still around R250pm. 

They do however offer strength and yoga videos as well for the price  :thumbup:

For some added motivation select the Mt Everest challenge. Keep on going once you reach the 8.8 or so km and work for the Tron bike. 

• 7 months later...

Jumping on this thread: are there a few things that changed in a year? Everybody still prefers Zwift? I have been using Zwift for about 6 months. Thinking of trying Sufferfest - I like the idea of the cross training aspects in between and I am not a 'free ride' type. Shoot me with your critics. 

Right now I find myself with zero motivation for the IDT. I may have pushed to hard and burnt out the flame.

Sufferfest, Rouvy, Zwift. All great but I still feel like a hamster on a wheel. 

Who has any advise on how to get back into it? 

58 minutes ago, XZelle said:

Jumping on this thread: are there a few things that changed in a year? Everybody still prefers Zwift? I have been using Zwift for about 6 months. Thinking of trying Sufferfest - I like the idea of the cross training aspects in between and I am not a 'free ride' type. Shoot me with your critics. 

I was a huge Zwift fan during lockdown. Over the last 5 or 6 years, I've done nearly 25,000 km on my IDT.

I've moved from Zwift to Sufferfest and back a few times as I get bored on a single format. Zwift is brilliant if you've got a group of mates doing workouts and races together.

Sufferfest is more engaging if you're riding solo. They also have some great cycling movies to back up endurance and recovery rides. Abi Carver, the Yoga Instructor, is worth the monthly subscription on her own...????

I found Rouvy completely boring when it first launched and never been back.