Rear Derailleur Adjustments

birkettN

I'm struggling to get my rear derailleur to shift 100%.

I got a used Spez Stumpy with a Sram GX 11 speed.

At first I noticed it wouldn't shift all the way to the smallest cog.

After resetting everything and giving the H-Limit screw all the slack I could it still wouldn't reach the smallest cog.

I loosened the shifter cable screw on the derailleur and noticed it then moved to the correct position.

So I made the correct adjustments from there, and it now shifts correctly up until the biggest cog.

I've played around with the L-limit screw and also given it the most amount of slack I can but it just wont sit on the big cog correctly.

What I'm noticing is about HALF way up the groupset the shift doesn't move.

I'm not sure if this is an adjustment I have wrong or something in the shifter that isn't causing enough tension on that specific shift.

Any advice would be appreciated

The cage looks bent on the derailleur and the hanger isn't 100% based on the photos. 

Since the hangers are designed to snap in case of an accident I would recommend you take this guy to your local shop to be straightened or replaced. 

You could try to straighten it but it is risky.

Yeah looks bent...That derailleur hanger alignment tool doesn't come cheap. lol.

Even on my side, shifting is good but can be better...I'm suspecting my hanger is a bit out of alignment.

I'm struggling to get my rear derailleur to shift 100%.

I got a used Spez Stumpy with a Sram GX 11 speed.

At first I noticed it wouldn't shift all the way to the smallest cog.

After resetting everything and giving the H-Limit screw all the slack I could it still wouldn't reach the smallest cog.

I loosened the shifter cable screw on the derailleur and noticed it then moved to the correct position.

So I made the correct adjustments from there, and it now shifts correctly up until the biggest cog.

I've played around with the L-limit screw and also given it the most amount of slack I can but it just wont sit on the big cog correctly.

What I'm noticing is about HALF way up the groupset the shift doesn't move.

I'm not sure if this is an adjustment I have wrong or something in the shifter that isn't causing enough tension on that specific shift.

Any advice would be appreciated

Also, make sure that you are using the correct chain. I had a similar problem with a mate of mine road bike whereon he tried to utilize a 10 spd chain on his 11 spd groupset. 

Various compatibility issues of chains from different manufacturers utilized on other manufacturers gear sets can cause endless havoc, without being immediately apparent.

SRAM GX is also quite finnicky when it comes to B screw adjustment.

Use Dr Google, there is a myriad of videos in how to dial t in correctly. First High and Low limits settings, and then the B screw setting.

It eliminates that "searching/jumping" for or between gears in the middle range.

That hanger is definitely bent, happened to me when I had a Stumpy as well, new hanger was like R350, but the gears are a little finicky to setup up properly, I put an XX1 12 speed chain on, that smoothed out the shifting a little as well

That hanger is definitely bent, happened to me when I had a Stumpy as well, new hanger was like R350, but the gears are a little finicky to setup up properly, I put an XX1 12 speed chain on, that smoothed out the shifting a little as well

Agree. Quite badly bent. Looks like both hanger and derailer cage is bent.

No amount of twiddling with any of the set screws will sort that out.

Edited by Wannabe

As others have said that cage and hanger is bent - Once you get that sorted, make sure you have the correct chain and then watch this video - follow the instructions step by step, especially setting the RD with the red plastic gauge template - This is key to get it running like butter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAUb5QyL1oc

Edited by madmarc