Bodyweight and when to decide on a wetsuit

Geared

This maybe a stupid question, having had to diet down a lot to take up triathlons, at what stage do you decide, ok I am the right size to purchase a wetsuit ? 

How much wiggle room do you have for weight loss and gain with these suits? If any 

Being an expensive piece of kit, that requires an accurate fit, I am probably 5/6 kg realistically from goal weight, which will bring me around a true 9 to 10 percent bodyfat. 

That said, as soon as I can hit an open water swim I want too, without a wetsuit, I do not have the balls to attempt 13 degree water in a speedo. They will be sharing space with my tonsils. So a good wetsuit, suitable pee, and should be warm and cozy and good to go. 

This maybe a stupid question, having had to diet down a lot to take up triathlons, at what stage do you decide, ok I am the right size to purchase a wetsuit ? 

How much wiggle room do you have for weight loss and gain with these suits? If any 

Being an expensive piece of kit, that requires an accurate fit, I am probably 5/6 kg realistically from goal weight, which will bring me around a true 9 to 10 percent bodyfat. 

That said, as soon as I can hit an open water swim I want too, without a wetsuit, I do not have the balls to attempt 13 degree water in a speedo. They will be sharing space with my tonsils. So a good wetsuit, suitable pee, and should be warm and cozy and good to go. 

If you're under 18% your body shape will hardly change... Pretty sure you could pull the trigger now

You should keep some fat on those bones otherwise the wet suit may just end up being too buoyant for you to be able to swim properly :stupid:.

Lol in my case (heavy sinking legs) it’s not possible tone too buoyant

A tight fit is important.... especially around the extremities (neck, calves and wrists) so that you don’t gain to much water... it’s amazing how much water can come onboard if a wetsuit is to loose and how hard it is to swim with

Haha I need all the help I can get, my legs are heavy. 

Definitely under 18 percent , probably around 15 now, very little love handles, maybe an inch left to lose there. Abs visible but I do have some visceral fat that needs to go behind the abdominal wall, (get a boep when I relax lol) 34 jeans fit loose at the waist , tight on the quads, 32 just fits waist,but cant get over my legs. 

Lots of deals on wetsuits at the moment, so didn't want to jump the gun, but prices are good. 

Edited by Geared

Speak to Seamus* at Fluidlines in Morningside.

He will size you up as you walk through the front door and give you a wetsuit before you can say you are looking for one.

They also have demo days, but.... lockdown.

*might have spelled his name wrong

Edited by NicoR

Most wetsuits will come with a weight range, sizing will be on height and weight and size to the low end of the weight range.

A tight fit is imperative and if you have sinking legs choose a suit that is designed to compensate for that.

He will size you up as you walk through the front door and give you a wetsuit before you can say you are looking for one.

Actually emailed them this morning, I think it was them, or trishopsa as I was looking for the assiomio du power meter pedals. I know I was drooling over some orca wetsuits on their site earlier. 

Let me call. 

Most wetsuits will come with a weight range, sizing will be on height and weight and size to the low end of the weight range.

A tight fit is imperative and if you have sinking legs choose a suit that is designed to compensate for that.

Thanks Shaper, was also browsing your pm again this am. 

I went to chat to him, really nice human being and knowledgeable really happy with his time and service.

As luck would have it, I fall between a size 7/8 and 11 lol 

So will prep for a set up, looks like the orca sonar is the best bet, ugly as hell though (green ), but seems middle ground, the 3.8 was a bit higher grade, and I still have a lot of flexibility when I put it hands over head, they go quite far back. 

May look at huub too