which manufacturer of MTB shoes are generally the widest?

al cobban

Ladies/gents,

Two questions:

1. can anyone suggest which manufacturer makes the widest MTB shoes. I mean laterally, from the ball of the foot forward?

2. I've got a pair of Shimano M520 pedals. The instructions say only SPD shoes should be used with them. Can anyone confirm this? Is there no other shoe type which these pedals can be fitted to?

Any info would be much appreciated.

thanks

A

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Go check Spaz shoes out. I wear a uk13 In most shoes and spaz were the only ones that I tried that fit right....in a size 14.5 haha.

They make their shoes in half sizes....and a half size means one step wider.

Also, alot of manufacturers make ‘spd’ shoes....almost every mtb cleat shoe you’ll find is spd compatible . It is just the type of cleat (Shimano) that basically gets fixed to the bottom of the shoe. Most shoes you buy Dont come preinstalled with the cleat, but you can buy those loose at most bikeshops or even sportsmans warehouse for about R150.

Edit: pic of the spd cleat fixed to the bottom of the shoe...and a pedal that resembles a 520. When you buy the shoe...there will be only two mounting holes where that cleat goes.

post-64325-0-00632200-1596687481_thumb.jpeg

Edited by morneS555

Lake shoes are the go to shoe for people with wide feet.

MTB shoes are almost universally SPD compatible. As long the sole has 2 parallel slots for a cleat you're good to go.

If you really want Shimano ask for the wide version. They are not thay common though.

Also a bit of a wide footed person, in size 13. Spez 2FO I find are wide but a bit bulky/heavy. Try out Sidi as well as they tend to be very wide - and Takealot has them on special quite often.

Look on the Lake website, they have the dimensions for the wide and extra wide fits per model.

I've found it difficult to get width measurements from other makes so at least you'll know where you stand (????sorry...)

I’ve tried Spaz 2FO and they were not wide enough for me. They were also very bulky in my size. Felt like a hiking boot. Northwave is a good fit for my size UK12 wide.

Edited by Delarey

Shimano actually makes 2 versions of their shoes. standard and wide.

you can also look at Gaerne

Yep i was going to say this as well. I have moved from Specialized to Shimano shoes as well. i think Specialized were the shiz but somewhere along the line they changed their design. I still have an old set of Sworks MTB shoes with the dual closure which are probably the most comfortable shoes i have ever had, but the newer versions changed in design and got narrower.

I have flat wide Dutch clogs for feet with lower arches and ideally need a 45,5 in wide which you struggle to get. I have also gone to 46 and used inserts. Shoes are a bit big but they are comfortable.

You dont say why you are struggling i.e. what hurts - Something to look at as well is if you have big feet that an SPD pedal is pretty narrow as a platform to push on. I am much happier with wider platform pedals under my shoes (like a road SPD. or a Look) than a normal SPD pedal.

SIDI also make some comfortable wider shoes and you can get the half sizes. But for my vote  i have changed road and MTB shoes to Shimano from Specialized and i am happy - look around you can crack some specials on them, as well. Cyclelab had one during lockdown - R4399 shoes for R 2600.

I have really wide feet. I used to have NorthWaves which did the job, but when they wore out last year, I tried the usual wide shimanos, Spec 2Fo etc, but then found the Lakes which in my opinion are just amazing.

I initially bought the MX237 Endurance (on the Black Friday special) and they are really, really comfy, smell of a new car, the leather and all is world class. Great for mtb XC, gravel and road.

But for Enduro and hiking big bikes back up mountains, I didn't want to wreck them climbing over rocks and through rivers and fynbos and all, so I picked up a pair  of their MX168 Enduro (on the Lockdown special). These are seriously amazing shoes. They feel close to a skate shoe or normal tackie, you can wear them all day, drive in them etc etc. if you just ride casually and don't need carbon soles to blast past race snakes, they probably all we need.

Lakes are costly. As mentioned, I picked mine up on specials, but they amazing

Edited by Baracuda

Do yourself a favour ... go test fit a pair of Spezialized 2FO shoes ...

If you are not into racing then what he said.

They are awesome shoes.

Ladies/gents,

Two questions:

1. can anyone suggest which manufacturer makes the widest MTB shoes. I mean laterally, from the ball of the foot forward?

2. I've got a pair of Shimano M520 pedals. The instructions say only SPD shoes should be used with them. Can anyone confirm this? Is there no other shoe type which these pedals can be fitted to?

Any info would be much appreciated.

thanks

A

LAKE SHOES.  Each size comes in the standard (which is already roomy), half size and then WIDE.  so eg. 44 , 44.5, 44 WIDE and 44.5 WIDE..........BEST Shoes I can recommend 

Lake wide fit will be wide...

Their standard fit is very similar to the Shimano wide version.

I have shimano RC9 in wide, and Lake CX237 in standard.

Wait are those Lake shoe prices the actual legit 100% real prices?  :eek: Not going to lie, that is pretty wild.