Wahoo launches its most accurate KICKR smart trainer yet

News bot

well thats a nice feature to design in backwards compatibility

lol, like what are you ever going to hardwire to your smart trainer... nothing to see here folks... that's probably why it's not been hyped-up by any sort of marketing campaign. 

So lets see, they improved the calibration through software, because calibration is a software function.

Then they put new feet on it.

Now they are calling it a "new" trainer.

Yeah naa mate that is marketing cool-aid if ever I have seen it.

lol, like what are you ever going to hardwire to your smart trainer... nothing to see here folks... that's probably why it's not been hyped-up by any sort of marketing campaign. 

Tech nerd here: If I could hardwire my trainer via ethernet, I would do it!

So lets see, they improved the calibration through software, because calibration is a software function.

It's the same price as the old one, so for those looking to buy now they get a few "extras" at no cost.

Here's hoping the new Gen5 has all the quality issues fixed, so no need to get it replaced 3 or 4 times.

I wonder which generation will have the option for a proper Campy freehub that works ?

It's the same price as the old one, so for those looking to buy now they get a few "extras" at no cost.

Its great for new buyers, I just think its hardly worth calling it a new model and the creating the hype to get people to upgrade.

Its great for new buyers, I just think its hardly worth calling it a new model and the creating the hype to get people to upgrade.

Them marketing folk need to keep / justify their jobs....

"Facelift"

Thing is, those who have the money and are always wanting the latest and best will happily drop the cash on it, thats how businesses stay alive. Marketing Hype.

Tech nerd here: If I could hardwire my trainer via ethernet, I would do it!

they are keeping that for the gen 6 next week, so it can be even more accurate....

Dont get me started on the relative unreliability of bluetooth/wireless connections in general.

I >>>HATE<<< them :lol:

It is a new trainer - it uses strain gauges for power measurement, similar to other power meters such as Quarq, which means that the calibration isn't required as it can be auto calibrated.

Previous generations used optical power measurement, which is why the new one is more accurate - it is in fact a new trainer.

There is also a demand in the market for rocker movement, as is evident by all of the rocker boards etc that are being sold, so it was very clever of Wahoo to include this in a compact design and make it backward compatible with previous models.

Then they have also put in a wired port, which should be interesting for future installations once it works - some people have connectivity issues.

I think this is a great new product which Wahoo have really given some thought too - it's not just a new paint job and then classified as a the next gen...