Critérium du Dauphiné 2020

Vetplant

Would they be as entertaining though?

Agree that they do need to use common sense about when to take risks and when not. Didn't see either accidents so not willing to cast blame onto them as such because of other potential factors towards their respective crashes. Hopefully recent events will inform their racing acumen without negatively affecting their confidence in themselves and their abilities.

Yeah, to be fair, my comment was about 50% tongue in cheek. 

Remco crashed on a descent that is notoriously dangerous and claims many seasoned pros as well.

And the entire peleton is complaining about the Daupnine's descents.

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, to be fair, my comment was about 50% tongue in cheek.

Remco crashed on a descent that is notoriously dangerous and claims many seasoned pros as well.

And the entire peleton is complaining about the Daupnine's descents.

Yeah Jumbo Visma's guys in particular have been pretty scathing about the descents used this year. And while I feel that there's a definite onus on the race organisers to ensure a spectacular race they also need to ensure that it is as safe as they can possibly make it. The riders also need to do their bit too on both sides of the equation. It's a very very fine balancing act and we need to accept there might be the occasional fail as long as it isn't the type of total breakdown in safety we saw in Poland with Jakobsen's crash. A crash like that is entirely unacceptable and all parties involved need to look at how to ensure that never happens again.

Yeah Jumbo Visma's guys in particular have been pretty scathing about the descents used this year. .

Rogla's crash was odd. He's easily one of the finest descenders in the bunch. Losing the race lead and probable eventual win has left a bad taste in their mouth for sure.

What do you guys reckon for a Top 5?

Roglic

Bernal

Pogacar

Quintana

TommyD

Anyone would have been foolish to argue this prediction yet, at the end of the race, only Pogacar is on there. Well done to him must be the bike [emoji6]

You have to hand it to EF. They race opportunistically and take big wins when the balance of power is upended.

Rogla's crash was odd. He's easily one of the finest descenders in the bunch. Losing the race lead and probable eventual win has left a bad taste in their mouth for sure.

Hopefully the choice for him not to start yesterday was just to ensure that he had enough time to recover for the Tour in two weeks time. It would be sad if he ain't there. Fantastic competitor!

Hopefully the choice for him not to start yesterday was just to ensure that he had enough time to recover for the Tour in two weeks time. It would be sad if he ain't there. Fantastic competitor!

Win the Dauphine GC, but lose the TDF.. then it is all in vain.

Give up the Dauphine victory, might mean increased chance of a TDF victory by getting the recovery and preparation right following the smash.

Plus you cover the move by Ineos who pulled Bernal early and seeing Froome, Gee looking ominously disinterested in racing, you have to wonder if the psychological punch has been dealt already, there is no use in pushing your elite riders too deep.

Jumbo Visma already wore the Yellow-blue jersey for a bunch of days, so they got plenty of airtime for the sponsor.

And how weird was it to see the leader of the sprinters jersey competition sitting on the front of the peloton, dragging them along for hours on end. WvA is a truly exceptional bike rider in skill and work ethic.

Sepp Kuss taking the final stage is the cherry on top.

Jumbo Visma truly had a wonderfull Dauphine. Don't think they will dominate the TDF like Sky did for so many years, but they are definitely one of the favourites.

Afaik he actually crashed on a straight piece of road after the descent..or did I get it mixed up as he wasn't involved in the same crash as the rest?

Afaik he actually crashed on a straight piece of road after the descent..or did I get it mixed up as he wasn't involved in the same crash as the rest?

Ya, he was all on his own at the or near the bottom. Just a moment lapse of concentration I guess.

Yeah Jumbo Visma's guys in particular have been pretty scathing about the descents used this year. And while I feel that there's a definite onus on the race organisers to ensure a spectacular race they also need to ensure that it is as safe as they can possibly make it. The riders also need to do their bit too on both sides of the equation. It's a very very fine balancing act and we need to accept there might be the occasional fail as long as it isn't the type of total breakdown in safety we saw in Poland with Jakobsen's crash. A crash like that is entirely unacceptable and all parties involved need to look at how to ensure that never happens again.

Complaining that a descent is too dangerous is ridiculous.  Slow down ffs and as a pro you probably won't crash

Yes you could lose the race to one of the loonies who are prepared to hang it all out but that's pro cycling

I will agree that better protection needs to be in place if you look at Remcos crash. And he did a recon of it as he was apparently nervous.  

But blaming anyone but yourself for going too fast is a bit much.  

Complaining that a descent is too dangerous is ridiculous. Slow down ffs and as a pro you probably won't crash

Yes you could lose the race to one of the loonies who are prepared to hang it all out but that's pro cycling

I will agree that better protection needs to be in place if you look at Remcos crash. And he did a recon of it as he was apparently nervous.

But blaming anyone but yourself for going too fast is a bit much.

I think the criticism around the Dauphine crash was mostly the condition of the road..

The road was really bad and steep in gradient, it was also longer that originally thought when you descended. By longer I mean the bad section of the road. I think also with the cars and bikes going down 1st before riders moved alot of loose stone and so forth around adding the mess. 

The remaining descents over the week were really good road surface, but when you doing 100kmh + the slightest mistake is costly. 

My 2c.

I think the criticism around the Dauphine crash was mostly the condition of the road..

then I stand corrected.  A decent road should be a pre requisite for events like this otherwise a bare minimum of marshalls and clear warnings

The road was really bad and steep in gradient, it was also longer that originally thought when you descended. By longer I mean the bad section of the road. I think also with the cars and bikes going down 1st before riders moved alot of loose stone and so forth around adding the mess. 

The remaining descents over the week were really good road surface, but when you doing 100kmh + the slightest mistake is costly. 

My 2c.

John, been meaning to let you know that I ride a 56 and I only have old Colnagos

Just in case you know..........

John, been meaning to let you know that I ride a 56 and I only have old Colnagos

Just in case you know..........

hahaha legend post. I will let our mechanics know this asap. This is our new disc bike that has just been handed out. 7.3kg for this bike in a medium and can lose some fat with a few changes like wheels etc but really good.

post-98033-0-42839900-1597653818_thumb.jpg

Its what I thought when I saw Sivakov go down. Pushing the limit too far. But hats off to him for getting back on and getting back into the race.

When you follow JA's line and try match his speed on a descent unfortunately sometimes it can go a bit wrong.

When you follow JA's line and try match his speed on a descent unfortunately sometimes it can go a bit wrong.

Thought you would like this random act of info on your 1 favourite riders Sagan - he loves Fanta when he goes pop or is struggling if he has the choice between coke and Fanta.