Power meter / electronic technician

Sprocket and Chain

That's really disappointing to hear. A PM is a big investment for most people and to hear that the agents would be so quick to suggest a replacement rather than actually do a proper inspection and fix it, is really sad

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They in it for the sale perhaps? I'm sure if an end user could repair it had they spent 5 minutes looking at the this they could have fixed it themselves. 

IMHO

Not only did they disappoint a current user of the product but also now put their support capability in question for future buyers.

If a store or brand want to be the sole provider or supplier of a product in SA they should be willing to provide complete support. If they don't they should be reported to the holding or mother company.

That's really disappointing to hear. A PM is a big investment for most people and to hear that the agents would be so quick to suggest a replacement rather than actually do a proper inspection and fix it, is really sad

exactly.

Great that you got it working ms6395. The Quarq's are well built and work nicely. I have two of them :)

well all this costed me a power2max lol. school fees was high this time around hehe

They in it for the sale perhaps? I'm sure if an end user could repair it had they spent 5 minutes looking at the this they could have fixed it themselves. 

IMHO

Not only did they disappoint a current user of the product but also now put their support capability in question for future buyers.

If a store or brand want to be the sole provider or supplier of a product in SA they should be willing to provide complete support. If they don't they should be reported to the holding or mother company.

Exactly Nur, i mean we not talking about a measly 1000 bucks or so. These things are quite pricey. I probably wont go back to a quarq product unless the service centre is changed. Lovely product and works like a bomb, cant say the same for the agent

Sadly it's a common thing these days - there are very few skills left to repair so the default is to replace.

I had a TACX Vortex that was crazy noisy - agents told me it was toast and I had to replace with a new Flux.  A few (and I am not exaggerating here - it really was a few) drops of superglue solved the problem.  I also had a mate of mine repair the PC board of another Vortex that had suffered a power surge - was also a R50 fix.

Sadly it's a common thing these days - there are very few skills left to repair so the default is to replace.

Agreed - local distributors generally don't have the skills to repair and shipping internationally to repair is understandably not feasible.

That said, the equivalent of a helmet crash replacement discount in the event of tech failure would be nice. #just a thought

Agreed - local distributors generally don't have the skills to repair and shipping internationally to repair is understandably not feasible.

That said, the equivalent of a helmet crash replacement discount in the event of tech failure would be nice. #just a thought

yeah well, i thought they would have an out of warranty policy whereby you pay like 50% of the new item for example. Good thing is, its working better than before lol. I think ill be sending my resume to quarq lol

yeah well, i thought they would have an out of warranty policy whereby you pay like 50% of the new item for example. Good thing is, its working better than before lol. I think ill be sending my resume to quarq lol

I posted here before wrt to Quark and the local distributer, can not find the npost now.

Also had and older model that still needed the magnet to work and sent it to them for calibration.

Got this response after I had to call and call

"Sorry it only picks up cadence, no power"

So what the guy was doing it putting the spider on the desk and running the magnet around the track.....you will only get cadence then as there is no force.

"We would like to keep you on the product and can offer you a good price on a new one"

Excited I waited for said price .....They gave R1200 off on the price of 23 000 

Bought a stages

so who here has the skills to fix my Rotor power meter then ?  :ph34r:  :ph34r:

I'm 50/50 convinced by the agent's explanation (if he's right, I should have managed to wake up my unit with all the tests I did even though I was born with two left hands), but if it is a stupid contact with the battery it should be easy to fix, I just tried so many things and no success, and the support on their website are not answering me

I'm 50/50 convinced by the agent's explanation (if he's right, I should have managed to wake up my unit with all the tests I did even though I was born with two left hands), but if it is a stupid contact with the battery it should be easy to fix, I just tried so many things and no success, and the support on their website are not answering me

you try paragon?

Power meters consist, largely, of solid state components (static in nature). The only thing that isn't solid state is the strain gauge, which flexes with force (and in the process changes resistance). The old magnetic sensor (reed switch) is also not solid state. The above means that if your power meter isn't showing up on your computer it is mostly likely that it isn't getting power. So the first step, apart from replacing the battery, would be to check that the electronics are powered. You can do that with a multimeter and disassembling the device. If the device is receiving power and still isn't broadcasting then the problem may not be viable to repair.

Probably easier said than done, I just checked one of mine and isn't obvious how to open it, but I think I remember seeing some screws on the side that faces the bike.

Edited by aquaratza

would be to check that the electronics are powered. You can do that with a multimeter and disassembling the device. If the device is receiving power and still isn't broadcasting then the problem may not be viable to repair.

Probably easier said than done, I just checked one of mine and isn't obvious how to open it, but I think I remember seeing some screws on the side that faces the bike.

Not too sure if I'm doing it right.

if I put the battery in (- side against the - node of the PM) and then put the volt meter + on the  + side of the battery and the volt meter - on the + node of the unit, it should display 1.6V and mean that the unit is powered right ? So if doing so the PM doesn't appear on my garmin it means Rotor is screwing with me ?

Power meters consist, largely, of solid state components (static in nature). The only thing that isn't solid state is the strain gauge, which flexes with force (and in the process changes resistance). The old magnetic sensor (reed switch) is also not solid state. The above means that if your power meter isn't showing up on your computer it is mostly likely that it isn't getting power. So the first step, apart from replacing the battery, would be to check that the electronics are powered. You can do that with a multimeter and disassembling the device. If the device is receiving power and still isn't broadcasting then the problem may not be viable to repair.

most of the decent power meters have potted circuit boards so if the problem is not an intermittent power supply via a lose connection its likely a blown component under the potting. Then its toast as removing the potting is a futile exercise

Edited by DieselnDust