MarcHD

My opinion (based only on my own experience) is that many bike shops washing system is to blame for premature bearing failures: time is money, thus using a high pressure washer combined with too strong chemicals makes for unhappy bearings.

Especially around the cassette they use some chemicals that makes those cassettes sparkle like diamonds. Unfortunately those same chemicals can clean out the grease of a bearing as well...

Thus when my bike goes in I ensure its clean, and give clear instructions for them not to wash it, which normally means put a big freakin sticker on it!

I must remember this ....

Jip, my bike is clean when it goes in .... then comes out "sparkling" ....

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi DT Swiss

Looking for guidance - I have a set of Crest MK3s on DT Swiss 240s (CL) - I am now riding a boost bike and want to convert (rear end only)

1. Can I convert the current 240 rear hub to boost?

2. Should I rather switch out hubs? I have found a 350 boost hub

BUT - if I do this am I also in for new spokes?

Thanks

Hi DT Swiss

Looking for guidance - I have a set of Crest MK3s on DT Swiss 240s (CL) - I am now riding a boost bike and want to convert (rear end only)

1. Can I convert the current 240 rear hub to boost?

2. Should I rather switch out hubs? I have found a 350 boost hub

BUT - if I do this am I also in for new spokes?

Thanks

Hi Swrid and thanks for your questions as this is one we get asked a lot.

So the short answer is no, DT Swiss hubs are not convertible to or from Boost as it's the hub shell itself that is wider.

While there are aftermarket brands which make adapters to convert to Boost, these will of course void any warranty on your product which is usually two years.

If your hub is out of warranty, and you are happy to take any risk, perceived or real, by using these adapters then for sure this is a good solution.

If you would prefer to keep your warranty or not take any risk by using aftermarket adapters, we would need to source you a new hub shell, axle, and new spokes.

Let me know if you need assistance with any of these and I can let you know the best way forward.

Cheers

I guess the only kit that would adapt the 142mm hub to 148mm is the WolfTooth Boostinator (pronounced like a NASCAR commentator) but as Marc says this introduces different loads to your hub shell, bearings and axle.

Might seem inconsequential but the disc brake mount if 6 bolt will use a 3mm spacer so longer rotor mounting bolts are needed which increases the cantilever force on the hub shell.

There is also a longer end cap that places additional load on the original axle.

If the hub is Centre Lock  I doubt there is a kit that can extend the disc rotor mounting splines.....( might be wrong on this )

As a temporary solution It's probably ok.

For a Weekend WARRIOR riding <6hrs per week its probably ok.

For heavier riders, riding more hours you maybe want to consider hub replacements to the unit engineered to handle the load especially since you're starting of with a light weight hub designed for racing

Edited by DieselnDust

Hi Swrid and thanks for your questions as this is one we get asked a lot.

So the short answer is no, DT Swiss hubs are not convertible to or from Boost as it's the hub shell itself that is wider.

While there are aftermarket brands which make adapters to convert to Boost, these will of course void any warranty on your product which is usually two years.

If your hub is out of warranty, and you are happy to take any risk, perceived or real, by using these adapters then for sure this is a good solution.

If you would prefer to keep your warranty or not take any risk by using aftermarket adapters, we would need to source you a new hub shell, axle, and new spokes.

Let me know if you need assistance with any of these and I can let you know the best way forward.

Cheers

Thanks - happy to make the move to a new hub - assume I am in for hub AND spokes?

I guess the only kit that would adapt the 142mm hub to 148mm is the WolfTooth Boostinator (pronounced like a NASCAR commentator) but as Marc says this introduces different loads to your hub shell, bearings and axle.

Might seem inconsequential but the disc brake mount if 6 bolt will use a 3mm spacer so longer rotor mounting bolts are needed which increases the cantilever force on the hub shell.

There is also a longer end cap that places additional load on the original axle.

If the hub is Centre Lock  I doubt there is a kit that can extend the disc rotor mounting splines.....( might be wrong on this )

As a temporary solution It's probably ok.

For a Weekend WARRIOR riding <6hrs per week its probably ok.

For heavier riders, riding more hours you maybe want to consider hub replacements to the unit engineered to handle the load especially since you're starting of with a light weight hub designed for racing

Could not have said it better myself. 

Very real considerations to take into account

Thanks - happy to make the move to a new hub - assume I am in for hub AND spokes?

Correct, you will need both a new hub and spokes.

As I see you have mentioned you found a 350 hub I have taken the liberty of doing three spoke calculations for you.

Should you opt for the 350 hub mentioned, you will require longer spokes, however should you replace the hub with a 240s the lengths would not change.

I have DM you the spoke calcs for the 350 boost change.

Shout if you would need further assistance from me in supplying spokes, services or further info.

For longevity, it's recommended to use angular contact bearings such as the ones found in DT hubs.

Of course this is just a suggestion

Marc, is the DT Swiss bearing a similar RRP?

Marc, is the DT Swiss bearing a similar RRP?

They would be expected to retail for about R290 incl. 

These are Abec-5 level, angular contact, double sealed bearings

They would be expected to retail for about R290 incl. 

These are Abec-5 level, angular contact, double sealed bearings

each?

Correct

R290 x 4 = R1160.00 ex. labour .... looks like I am going the Enduro ABEC 3 route then, at least they still have a double seal.

R283.48 for the 4 x bearings, ex. shipping and labour