XTR issues (both brakes and gears)

Jbr

went to ride conties today.

Rear brake works beautifully. Derailleur worked the best since I've purchased the bike, it's like 99,5 let's hope with a housing clean + when the cable will be broken in it will be 100%. Looks like some WD40 can do wonders, I sprayed a bit in the shifters/cable housing and in the clutch to clean that up. Might take some time to put some actual lube/grease in the clutch and clean the housing properly after this weekends race when I've got a bit of time, but it will do like this for the XCO this saturday.

Thanks all for all the advice and tips/

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

clutch doesn't seem to make a difference, up to mid cassette my derailer is aligned, higher than that on the cassette it seems to go closer to the bigger one... bit annoying... it's like the more you pull the cable the more it pulls at each click... I'm also now questionning the shifters...

is the cable routed correctly under the rear derailleur pinch bolt?

went to ride conties today.

Rear brake works beautifully. Derailleur worked the best since I've purchased the bike, it's like 99,5 let's hope with a housing clean + when the cable will be broken in it will be 100%. Looks like some WD40 can do wonders, I sprayed a bit in the shifters/cable housing and in the clutch to clean that up. Might take some time to put some actual lube/grease in the clutch and clean the housing properly after this weekends race when I've got a bit of time, but it will do like this for the XCO this saturday.

Thanks all for all the advice and tips/

Seriously just replace the cable and housing. Cleaning it is is not going to work very well for very long and then the spay oil stuff like WD40 (although a great product) is going to attract dirt and dust and crap that's going to gum up the cable and make it worse. And probably by this time your inner looks a foxterrier has had a knaw at it so that also would need changed again. ALWAYS change cable inners and outer same time. Its so cheap and is the best thing to keep everything operating awesome. Edited by s14phoenix

the bike has been 3 times to 2 different shops for the brakes and everytime I can't sort something out myself the shop usually makes it worse or/and advises a replacement.

Only shop I trust is Giant Durbanville but it takes me an hour to go there and back.

The brakes are now almost perfect, when I get a chance I'll get bleed blocs and pull that adjuster all the way out and see if I can get a few more bubbles out.

The gears are decent, I just want it perfect, but not at the cost of a new derailleur. That will do for now. I'll have to send the bike in as I'm waiting for parts from omnico, I'll ask the shop to have a look then.

If they advise a replacement then it will be for a 45 / Short cage

Picked up my bike from Julien today.

Brakes now feel perfect.

Hoping it does not fade over the next few rides ...

Even though I am reasonably closrvto them, it is still more than an hour round trip in afternoon peak traffic ....

After nearly 30 years I do prefer taking my bikes to Mark, also only a 5 minute detour for me .... but for the warranty I have now spent about 5 hours driving to Durbanville for this repetative issue ....

Holding thumbs the ne brakes last ....

PS . Very happy with Giant Durbanville. Their service is good, communication decent. Cant hold it against them that a Shimano part is acting up .....

The irony being that I chose this specific bike due to its Shimano components and previous excellent experiences with the brand

Seriously just replace the cable and housing. Cleaning it is is not going to work very well for very long and then the spay oil stuff like WD40 (although a great product) is going to attract dirt and dust and crap that's going to gum up the cable and make it worse. And probably by this time your inner looks a foxterrier has had a knaw at it so that also would need changed again. ALWAYS change cable inners and outer same time. Its so cheap and is the best thing to keep everything operating awesome.

I insist inner and outer cables be replaced during the annual service .... everything just feels "crisper" :)

I insist inner and outer cables be replaced during the annual service .... everything just feels "crisper" :)

I usually change cables twice a season.

Okay so after that XCO horror I cleaned it all up, took the chain, cassette everything out, and realised my hanger was bent... I bent it back using this really sophisticated tool 

cle-a-molette-15-virax-017015.jpg

Got to admit it works really well now, I can finally experience what high end shifting is supposed to be, you don't have to wait 3 revolutions for your gears to drop it's fantastic :D

In the meantime I ordered a new shifter cable/housing and a new brake hose it's supposed to arrive today... I'll probably just change the rear brake line so that the bike now feels 100% instead of 95% fine  :lol:  :lol:

Fun part is once I've sorted everything I'll still have to send it in for that Ominco fourk service and my mechanic will still have to take it all appart to change the pivot bearings and all... but I'm not so good in the patience department, I just want it to be perfect even if that means wasting a lot of time (is it wasted though as I'm learning a lot ? :))

Edited by Jbr

Check the derailler hanger for straightness.

With regards to the brakes, was the calipers rebuilt after the "pop"?

I see we posted in the same minute, I must have missed your post  :cursing:  :cursing:  Would have saved me some time haha

I usually change cables twice a season.

Okay so after that XCO horror I cleaned it all up, took the chain, cassette everything out, and realised my hanger was bent... I bent it back using this really sophisticated tool 

cle-a-molette-15-virax-017015.jpg

Got to admit it works really well now, I can finally experience what high end shifting is supposed to be, you don't have to wait 3 revolutions for your gears to drop it's fantastic :D

In the meantime I ordered a new shifter cable/housing and a new brake hose it's supposed to arrive today... I'll probably just change the rear brake line so that the bike now feels 100% instead of 95% fine  :lol:  :lol:

Fun part is once I've sorted everything I'll still have to send it in for that Ominco fourk service and my mechanic will still have to take it all appart to change the pivot bearings and all... but I'm not so good in the patience department, I just want it to be perfect even if that means wasting a lot of time (is it wasted though as I'm learning a lot ? :))

Eish thats good news that it is was that simple. :)

My BB is seized after Saturday. No that I'm in a hurry to replace the bearings as I have a WheelsMfg BB386 evo in the box ready to replace the token ninja. Realised the reason i was struggling was the bb was just filling up with mud. now it doesn't turn. Pivots hopefully aren't as bad but Clint will be sorting the whole thing out while I'm on enforced downtime.Will have to get the Lefty and Monach serviced as well  :(

Eish thats good news that it is was that simple. :)

My BB is seized after Saturday. No that I'm in a hurry to replace the bearings as I have a WheelsMfg BB386 evo in the box ready to replace the token ninja. Realised the reason i was struggling was the bb was just filling up with mud. now it doesn't turn. Pivots hopefully aren't as bad but Clint will be sorting the whole thing out while I'm on enforced downtime.Will have to get the Lefty and Monach serviced as well :(

last two laps my drivetrain was so crunchy it felt like a lot of energy was going into just peddling all that mud around.

Luckily after a good clean it seems to be going pretty well my side, didn't open the crank/bb yet but there was mud in my free body ????

The secret to 100% shifting with new Shimano 12 speed (apart from the given clean cables and straight hanger) is finding the mark on the back of the derailleur indicating the right amount of B-tension... Will try find a picture

The secret to 100% shifting with new Shimano 12 speed (apart from the given clean cables and straight hanger) is finding the mark on the back of the derailleur indicating the right amount of B-tension... Will try find a picture

no need that's one of the first pages in the manual that I went through a dozen times ;)

Edited by Jbr

Eish

Sorry

Don't be it could have been the reason as it was hard downshifting from the big gears