Binding rear wheel

Chadvdw67

Another question for the knowledgeable folks on the hub.

I had a bit of a tumble on my MTB the other day, bent the derailleur hanger quite badly and the derailleur itself took a big hit as well, now the drive train is tight, if I loosen up the axle it gets better, but when the axle is tightened it gets tight and won't back pedal, the chain just goes slack.

The rear wheel spins freely, even when the axle is tightened and the cassette and free hub seem to spin freely as well, could it be that the derailleur is just bent out of shape causing the issue? The hanger I have straightened out as best I can with a tool I made, and it shifts to all gears, but it has a bad dragging feeling all the way through the cassette.

BB is spinning freely as well, the only thing I can think is the derailleur or hanger are causing the issue?

Any suggestions on other things to check?

Another question for the knowledgeable folks on the hub.

I had a bit of a tumble on my MTB the other day, bent the derailleur hanger quite badly and the derailleur itself took a big hit as well, now the drive train is tight, if I loosen up the axle it gets better, but when the axle is tightened it gets tight and won't back pedal, the chain just goes slack.

The rear wheel spins freely, even when the axle is tightened and the cassette and free hub seem to spin freely as well, could it be that the derailleur is just bent out of shape causing the issue? The hanger I have straightened out as best I can with a tool I made, and it shifts to all gears, but it has a bad dragging feeling all the way through the cassette.

BB is spinning freely as well, the only thing I can think is the derailleur or hanger are causing the issue?

Any suggestions on other things to check?

Change the hanger

Will do, hope I can get one

You local bikeshop may be able to straighten the hanger for you .....

There is a Parktool for this, just too darned expensive for the typical home garage.

But yes, a new hanger would be better.

As a long shot, could also be a damaged pawl spring on the inside of the free hub.

The free hub seems fine, not sticky at all, but I will strip, clean, regrease and check the spring just to be sure

Edited by Chadvdw67

Ok, had another quick look now when I got home, took the chain off and the wheel won't spin backwards properly, and the freehub is tight when the axle is tight, could the cassette be rubbing the spokes? I will take the cassette off tomorrow and see if it still does the same thing

Derailleur (jockey) wheels stiff?

No, they are spinning fine, even without the chain on the bike now it is stiff when spinning the wheel backwards, forwards it is fine, but backwards it is stiff

Quick update, I have narrowed it down to it being an issue with my hub, got a wheel from a friend and it went straight in, no issues, everything working fine, so now to figure out what is wrong with the hub, or just get a new hub....