I also have an annoying creak

lechatnoir

Just the other day I removed my crank and BB to fix a ticking noise.

Noticed the pedal was looseish on spindle when I reinstalled so thought it was that.

Put on other pedals. Still a tick.

Swop out rear wheel. Maybe back hub is being funny. Still a tick

As I grab my bike to put it away for the night hear the tick.

Turns out it was my saddle. Loosened the seatpost bolts and tightened it again, tick gone. Thought it was crank because it happened as I pedalled and louder if I pedal harder and always at same place in revolution. Turns out its the slight hip rocking that gets worse when I pedal harder, thus louder tick

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pressfit, son of Satan...

When I shop for a new bike it’s the first thing I look at on the tech spec page

Pressfit = dont bother to look any further

I dunno what kind of lazy arsed idjit Designs a mass produced bike with pressfit

My mate had a hip replacement with a ceramic joint that squeeked.

He fell on the second or third day of the Epic and cracked it.When they redid the ball the squeek had gone.

Cool party trick

“Listen to my hip squeak”

Seriaas.I have a hip replacement but its Oxinium.Needs periodical lubrication with a bloody mary.

excellent excuse to leave the pub later

"sorry orrificers, I had to get my hip lucibriated

When I shop for a new bike it’s the first thing I look at on the tech spec page

Pressfit = dont bother to look any further

I dunno what kind of lazy arsed idjit Designs a mass produced bike with pressfit

My lbs used a Wheels Manufacturing BB. Job done, now all I hear are my loud hubs. Music.

I replace the bearings.

reason is that if a bearing has run out you won't feel it when the preload form the crank is removed. You have to push hard on the inner race and then try and turn the bearing. Often you will pick up where the click is coming from because you will feel the high spot in the bearing.

Pressfit done right is superb. Sadly not many manufacturers take the time to do it right

It shouldnt be so hard though - Luckily some bikes are going back to threaded BB which is super. The curse of the freekin creekin - it will find you and it will drive you mental 

It shouldnt be so hard though - Luckily some bikes are going back to threaded BB which is super. The curse of the freekin creekin - it will find you and it will drive you mental 

I have a friend on my DC team. He's BB has been creaking and cracking for 4 years, yes that's 4 DCs.

We know we've dropped him when the creaking stops. He's not with us this year so heaven knows what we're going to do now...

His bike has an Italian threaded bb...............maybe that's the problem

I have a friend on my DC team. He's BB has been creaking and cracking for 4 years, yes that's 4 DCs.

We know we've dropped him when the creaking stops. He's not with us this year so heaven knows what we're going to do now...

Yeah, sometimes those squeaks and creaks are good for setting tempo, or for knowing when you're teammate is trying to attack you on training rides. LOL

The cotter pin is probably loose

So the story so far... Bike's been in the shop today... They replaced the BB bearings. Nada. They replaced the BB. Nada. New pedals. Nada. Chainring bolts lubed and torqued. Nada. Different rear wheel. Nada. It's not the seatpost/saddle as the creak's there in and out the saddle.

It's not my knees as it does it with other riders too. 

:wacko:  :wacko:  :wacko:

Have you checked your shoes? Have you checked the cockpit bolts? How are the axles? Any cables rubbing anywhere?

Embrace it.! Sometimes when the squeak realizes it is no longer annoying you, it just miraculously disappears. ;)

Have you checked your shoes? Have you checked the cockpit bolts? How are the axles? Any cables rubbing anywhere?

thanks. it's there with road and mtb shoes. i've not checked the cockpit, but it will be done, that's a good idea - fwiw, it does it when sprinting hard (for me) or when just noodling along, but putting in a bit of effort, so not really torquing the bars.

that leaves your last suggestion - cables... we'll see in the morning

I suffered with this for a very long time. Nobody could get rid of the noise. We replaced the BB cups, and one bike shop even used loctite, then would not take ownership of that spectacular f up, which caused a breakdown in the relationship. I never went back there after years of doing business with them.

It was a loud clack and it drove me absolutely bonkers. My riding mates did not enjoy it, and I complained bitterly and frequently about it to my wife. She spouted all the comforting words she knew I needed to hear, but I knew she didn’t really care a damn. I was all on my own in a bottomless pit of despair. So, I tried to talk it all through with my daughter was about 20 at the time. She thought I was certifiable.

Eventually, in desperation, I wrote to the frame manufacturers, and lodged a warranty claim. They promptly wrote back to me telling me to take a flying leap. But they added that the campy bb is the teeniest bit smaller in diameter, and they advised applying Shimano anti-sieze paste. So I printed the email, took it with the bike to one of the bike shops who were endeavoring to resolve the issue, and they did the deed. And voila - the noise miraculously went away. Until 4 years later when I serviced during lockdown and forgot to tell the guy to use the paste. And it was a repeat of all the misery I had gone through in 2016, only there was no Covid then, so things were arguably a lot worse this time around. My mask did not dampen the sound, and my mood was super puss.

Eventually, I remembered about the anti-sieze paste thing, and got it re applied. But this time around, the noise did not disappear instantly. It took good few km to “ride it in”. But, now its as quiet as a church mouse again.

Disclaimer. I am not giving advice cos I have zero technical knowledge. Just relaying my own experience.

Anyway, I was ready to get rid of the bike, so I can relate to the frustration. I once clacked all the way from Pietermaritzburg to Moses Madiba irritating the hell outta every Amashova participant who Had the chutzpah to pass me on my not so merry way. I deserved a medal.