Titan Racing Launch Alloy Versions of Their 100mm & 120mm Full-Sus

News bot

i was looking at these bikes in particular the non RS version i.e 120m bikes.

2 things turned me down.

1) 30mm stanchion fork

granted little experience with 120mm thin forks but i agree with what most have said that 120mm forks should have beefier forks. 

wonder what the cost would have been if they spec a revelation or RS35 (or even a 32mm RS Reckon) and maybe downgrade the groupset to a Deore.

2) x-fusion shock

based on international reviews i have read, reliability came into question and thus turned me away.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A 32mm 120mm fork is not a noodle no matter how popular that saying has become. I have a 120mm 32mm SID and I was open minded about changing to a 34mm version but the fork feels really good as is so I won't be bothering.

I have a 120mm Reba (32mm stanchions,) and a 150mm Pike (35mm stanchions.)

There is a chalk and cheese difference that becomes apparent when you ride both. Okay, on gravel roads the 32mm forks are fine, but when it gets fun, you feel the flex.

In this case, ignorance is bliss.

There is not a snowballs chance in hell that I'd spend money now on a 32mm fork longer than 100mm.

I have a 120mm Reba (32mm stanchions,) and a 150mm Pike (35mm stanchions.)

There is a chalk and cheese difference that becomes apparent when you ride both. Okay, on gravel roads the 32mm forks are fine, but when it gets fun, you feel the flex.

In this case, ignorance is bliss.

There is not a snowballs chance in hell that I'd spend money now on a 32mm fork longer than 100mm.

I'm sure it's better, it just doesn't make the 32 a 0/10 fork. My previous bike had a 100mm Reba and the new one a 120mm SID with Charger damper. When the going gets fun the SID also feels chalk and cheese compared to the Reba. So for now I'll gladly take the ignorance and enjoy the new SID.

A few years back people were raving about 32mm 130/140 revelations. Then when that became 35 the old one was suddenly a useless noodle. I don't buy into this.

I'm also 70kg for what it's worth.

Edited by Showtime

I'm sure it's better, it just doesn't make the 32 a 0/10 fork. My previous bike had a 100mm Reba and the new one a 120mm SID with Charger damper. When the going gets fun the SID also feels chalk and cheese compared to the Reba. So for now I'll gladly take the ignorance and enjoy the new SID.

A few years back people were raving about 32mm 130/140 revelations. Then when that became 35 the old one was suddenly a useless noodle. I don't buy into this.

True, the 32mm stanchions didn't become bad overnight, that is why I still have mine. But I won't buy a new 120mm or more bike with 32mm stanchions. No chance. that is what dsenya noted. Edited by PhilipV

havent been in the game as long an many but my thoughts on this.

perhaps mountain biking or rather trail riding has become more technical over time? riders becoming more skilled and pushing the boundaries as time passes and this has exposed the short comings of thinner stanchions?

or

being exposed to  thicker stanchions just made past experience with thinner forks feel like chalk and cheese.

its like comparing a new car to a much older one.(same model) Probably would notice the difference in ride quality, comfort, features  etc. 

I do agree though that a good 32mm stanchion fork like a SID or even a Reba is plenty stiff enough for 99% of us.

Just questioning the 30mm Manitou

Sorry if I'm coming across as argumentative. You have a good point.

While I feel that 34mm forks are great we are discussing them in a context of a 2021 R33k bike and I'm seeing bikes up to R45k with 30mm Judy forks.

140kw is a nice baseline for a car but we can't demand it from a Figo

havent been in the game as long an many but my thoughts on this.

perhaps mountain biking or rather trail riding has become more technical over time? riders becoming more skilled and pushing the boundaries as time passes and this has exposed the short comings of thinner stanchions?

or

being exposed to thicker stanchions just made past experience with thinner forks feel like chalk and cheese.

its like comparing a new car to a much older one.(same model) Probably would notice the difference in ride quality, comfort, features etc.

I do agree though that a good 32mm stanchion fork like a SID or even a Reba is plenty stiff enough for 99% of us.

Just questioning the 30mm Manitou

I finally see the light. Why is there not a more capable 120mm in the lineup to close the gap to the carbon comp model which has 34mm fork.

They should really make that build kit in Alu.

Edited by Showtime

The problem with the SA market is they always go for the lightest instead of most capable. 

I had this discussion over the weekend... "Ya but a dropper makes your bike heavy." I'm going with the dropper BTW.

A dropper isn't a given in SA. In Cape Town ya there's a case for it but in JHB?? Doubt it.

For newbies it should be a stock item on entry to mid level bikes.

I would still rather go for a Silverback Stratos AL1 or Giant Trance 2 in the R40k price bracket. Good resale value as well especially on the Giant.

Not yet fully convinced by Titan. Also don't understand the SRAM brakes and X-Fusion rear shock... If it was still a Rock Shox or Fox rear shock and Shimano Deore brakes I would've considered it.

A dropper isn't a given in SA. In Cape Town ya there's a case for it but in JHB?? Doubt it.

For newbies it should be a stock item on entry to mid level bikes.

Plenty trails up here that make a case for a dropper post. 

You say you have the new SID? Pretty sure the new SID has 35mm stanchions as well....

You say you have the new SID? Pretty sure the new SID has 35mm stanchions as well....

SID is Rockshox flagship XC racing fork, and its all about being lightweight. It has 32mm stanchions

SID is Rockshox flagship XC racing fork, and its all about being lightweight. It has 32mm stanchions

The SL models, yes. for the rest:

post-123563-0-81862600-1603786038_thumb.jpg

The Titan has the 35mm version.