When last did you help/needed help on the trail

DR ◣◢

Two weekends ago my chain broke at Meerendal. I finally got to use my chainbreaker on the trails I've been carrying with me for 6 years!

Probably 15 people passed with each and every one of them actually asking whether they can help. The moment they heard me tell them it's the chain, most said 'eish, good luck, can't help with that one' and rode on. Most said they are able to help out if it was a puncture though.

Anycase, not having fixed a chain before it took me a while to figure out. It looks so much easier on Youtube... Luckily a guy actually stopped and lent a hand. Shortly after he stopped, a young lady also stopped and helped us out - she knew her stuff. Not sure about the other guy, but I got schooled while at the same time being m*erse impressed with her...

I made it back home thanks to them.

Two weekends ago my chain broke at Meerendal. I finally got to use my chainbreaker on the trails I've been carrying with me for 6 years!

Probably 15 people passed with each and every one of them actually asking whether they can help. The moment they heard me tell them it's the chain, most said 'eish, good luck, can't help with that one' and rode on. Most said they are able to help out if it was a puncture though.

Anycase, not having fixed a chain before it took me a while to figure out. It looks so much easier on Youtube... Luckily a guy actually stopped and lent a hand. Shortly after he stopped, a young lady also stopped and helped us out - she knew her stuff. Not sure about the other guy, but I got schooled while at the same time being m*erse impressed with her...

I made it back home thanks to them.

You've been carrying the same multi tool for 6 years ? Wow ! I lose approx 2 per year on the trails, also one of the reasons I no longer carry one. If I ever break a chain I'm just gonna have to look around in the bush to probably find one  :lol:  :lol:

Does trouble on tar qualify?

About three weeks ago, three punctures, no more tubes or patches, fiancee in zoom call, I ubered home. The uber driver held my wheels while I loaded the bike in his boot so that helped.

I also had to Uber home a few weeks ago because I used up all my repairs. Never again!

I helped some ladies on rollerskates a few months back on the Melkbos cycle path. One of them managed to collect a self tapping screw to the wheel. Luckily she did not have a fall. I was stopped and asked if I had a screw driver...(now there is a tool I never think to carry while out riding)...luckily my multitool did quick work of unseating the screw from her wheel. 

Then in the last week, I assisted a guy (again on Melkbos cycle path) with a CO2 converter since he had a flat, had the bomb, but no way of getting his tyre inflated.

And finally last week, some laaities were riding at Bloemendal and one of them came up pushing his bike. I asked what's wrong and he had a flat, again with no pump or CO2 cartridge. I helped him inflate with a CO2 bomb and the look of sheer joy on his face was priceless. I followed them down Homerun after which his mates came up to me all yelling "oom is 'n legend".

Haha, sometimes those moments stay with you long after the glow from the ride fades away.

Helped a kid a while back. His front wheel resembled a pringles chip and wouldn’t even turn in his fork. A couple of handy maneuvers against a nearby tree and he was on his way. Wheel wasn’t perfect but it saved him from walking.

I couldn’t help with what his dad was going to say to him when he got home.

my first recollection on needing assistance, back in the 90's, dad and I did our first 70km ride, I was on my Alpina feeling all pro like. About 10km from home picked up a rear puncture.

i had a tube, I had a pump, but I did not have spoons with me to take the tyre off (yes I did not know about tyre levers back then).

Dad had to ride home and fetch a car to come get me.

Was riding at Wolwespruit saw a guy sitting next to the trail, I could clearly see he took a fall. Funny enough when I stopped and asked if he needed some help, he said no he is fine despite the fact that his arm was broken.

Arm over my shoulder and keeping him up walked him down, he took quite the fall luckily someone else saw us and helped later on to bring the bikes down. Would have been a bummer if I had to hike back up haha

Jip, toolbag is always on our bikes.

Thankfully I seldom use it four own bikes on the trails.  Mostly just the pump to tweak the tire pressure.

And JIP, that one day I left the toolbag in the car at Meerendal ..... I had to walk back from Burry Stander .... 5mm allen key would have had me riding in 10 seconds ....

I do regularly use the tools to helps others along the trails.

When I pass a rider busy working on his bike I will either slow down or stop, and make sure they have the tools and are okay .... all too often they need a bit of help.

Jip, toolbag is always on our bikes.

Thankfully I seldom use it four own bikes on the trails.  Mostly just the pump to tweak the tire pressure.

And JIP, that one day I left the toolbag in the car at Meerendal ..... I had to walk back from Burry Stander .... 5mm allen key would have had me riding in 10 seconds ....

I do regularly use the tools to helps others along the trails.

When I pass a rider busy working on his bike I will either slow down or stop, and make sure they have the tools and are okay .... all too often they need a bit of help.

Week before CTCT this year, I was riding from the stadium, down Victoria drive, over Chapmans, up Ou Kaapse Weg and then decided to shortcut it home up Main Road. As I crossed over the N2 by Mowbray I just feel / hear a loud ping and all of a sudden I am pedalling in thin air. Snapped the chain.

Imagine my delight when I vividly recall thinking I won't need the chain link spare that was still in its original packaging and leave it in the car before I departed for my ride...

10k hike-a-bike back to the Waterfront where I left my car.

Week before CTCT this year, I was riding from the stadium, down Victoria drive, over Chapmans, up Ou Kaapse Weg and then decided to shortcut it home up Main Road. As I crossed over the N2 by Mowbray I just feel / hear a loud ping and all of a sudden I am pedalling in thin air. Snapped the chain.

Imagine my delight when I vividly recall thinking I won't need the chain link spare that was still in its original packaging and leave it in the car before I departed for my ride...

10k hike-a-bike back to the Waterfront where I left my car.

You don't need a spare link to fix a chain though, just remove the broken link and keep the pin in on one end so that you can close it again once you've removed the broken link. The link might be a bit rough but it should take you home until you can put that quicklink instead ;)

Edited by Jbr

On my road bike I used to just carry the necessities: spare tube, small multi-tool, tyre levers, CO2 bomb, and adapter. Lost the small multi-tool and replaced it with one with a chain-breaker which has come in handy once or twice (on my bike and helping others). Also had two incidents in races where I needed more than the single spare tube (was in a rush and pinched it like a moron). So now I've added a pump and another tube.

On the MTB I carry everything including the kitchen sink (I'm wearing a camelbak so space isn't really an issue) and it's come in handy a few times.

Always offer to help unless there is already quite a big group in which case I assume that someone will have the necessary tools or it's too broken for a trail/road side fix. Generally I don't get taken up on the offer but it feels good when I am and can actually help.

Edited by Jehosefat