Excessive chain wear. Replacement due at 1000km

DR ◣◢

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From the looks of it the XX1 or X01 won't be compatible. Hard to say as I can't find much online about it.

The cassette is the Sunrace MZ903 or MZ800 (hard to say as the site I bought it from has conflicting model numbers in the description)

Would it be best to stick to a Shimano chain?

Don’t see why it won’t work. I run a 12spd XX1 chain on my 11speed Ultegra road bike and my MTB. The higher the speed, the thinner the chain so you shouldn’t really have issues.

Don’t see why it won’t work. I run a 12spd XX1 chain on my 11speed Ultegra road bike and my MTB. The higher the speed, the thinner the chain so you shouldn’t really have issues.

I guess it is worth taking a chance then. 

1,000km's on a chain is a premature death for a chain. I have done 1,250km on my current chain and it is not even close to 0.5% ware. I mostly scrub with clean green and now and then soak in paraffin. Also make sure all gunk on chain rings and cassette is cleaned before I lube. I use Q Bike Dry lube and no issues.

Could be a few things. Do you tend do pedal at a lower cadence and higher power?

I will be crucified for this but I believe in thorough chain cleaning... Not just soapy water scrubs as there is gunk that sits in places which the eyes cannot see.

1,000km's on a chain is a premature death for a chain. I have done 1,250km on my current chain and it is not even close to 0.5% ware. I mostly scrub with clean green and now and then soak in paraffin. Also make sure all gunk on chain rings and cassette is cleaned before I lube. I use Q Bike Dry lube and no issues.

Could be a few things. Do you tend do pedal at a lower cadence and higher power?

I will be crucified for this but I believe in thorough chain cleaning... Not just soapy water scrubs as there is gunk that sits in places which the eyes cannot see.

I normally spin higher RPM on the trail but i will put down a lot of power with technical climbs and sprints for flow tracks and jumps.

In terms of cleaning i do a proper decrease once a month at least. Once a weekend the drivetrain gets a degreaser sprayed on it and the chain is scrubbed with soapy water in one of those Park Tools chain cleaners.

Don’t know what more can be done. The chain looks brand new after that.

Once it’s properly dry it’s lubed with Muc Off dry lube. Previously used Finish Line dry lube. If i know i’m on for a wet ride i’ll use the Squirt wax.

Just note that a Shimano chain wants a Shimano casette. Otherwise the shifting would not be as smooth.On the sunrace casette rather go for sram chain.

There's my answer. 

I really hope this sorts out that one gear (5 from the top) that I just can't get to shut up. Always ticking like the gear isn't indexed. Everything else is 100% and shifts 100%. 

Edited by DR ◣◢

I dont ‘clean’ my chains...aint nobody got time for that lol. I wipe them down on the bike and re-apply wax lube. Done.

I run kmc 11 speed chains and i got ~2500km out of a my last gold EL chain. I broke it the other day smashing up a hill but got a replacement and straightened it out on the floor to see where to cut the new one and the old one was maybe 1 or 2mm longer in total than the new one.

Im also of the opinion that stuff can be cleaned too much lol

Edit:

post-64325-0-71164400-1604341362_thumb.jpeg

Edited by morneS555

Ouch ....

I am on 1 300km. I checked the wear last week ... not even 0,25. I checked on 4 different spots as I expexted some more wear.

This is an 11 speed, on an ebike.

I have had the odd ride in the rain, but mostly avoid mud ....

Drive is often cleaned and lubed.

Sounds odd a new chain measures 20%.

Hi all,

Interesting topic AND many opinions - all of 'em with some value. I reckon the trick to chain longevity could be the treatment after washing. Any moisture could stay trapped inside the rollers and links for a very long time. What makes this especially bad is engine cleaner etc used to get the old lube off. I soak my chains in paraffin every 4th wash - works out to once every 6 weeks. You'd think your chain is 90-100% clean since it looks clean, but drop that very same chain into paraffin and let it soak for 30min. Shake the container(used salad dressing pot) every 5min or so. The stuff that comes out is black and metallic. This is the gunk trapped inside your chain.

The trick is COMPRESSED AIR. Yes, we do not all have access to compressors, but it's Black Friday in 3 week's time. At R2k for a small unit, given the price of drive-train components, you will make a good investment. Plus, you could use the compressor for many other jobs at home.

Some solvents remain trapped inside the chain, and these simply destroy any lube you apply after cleaning. Compressed air gets rid of the trapped stuff inside your chain.

Give your chain a decent "blow job" to get the paraffin or water out, lube, and you are good to go. Your chains will last long. Yes, there will be those "Friday afternoon" chains that simply wont last. I have been doing the above for about 25 years and it works.

DO NOT attempt to blow water off any other part of your steed near bearings or pivots. You WILL destroy your bearings etc in double quick time.

My 2 cents' worth ^_^

I use a KMC 11 SL chain, just changed now and probably got over 4000km, very good chains. Wipe down every 10 rides and WD40 then wipe excess off. Take chain off say every 600km and clean in parafin, rinse with degreaser and water, dry the WD40. Also clean derailleur wheels with cloth now and then. Don’t over lube and leave it wet

I sometimes ride with a ex pro mechanic and his chain is always dirty.One day i asked him about it and he said,"people over clean their chains".He told me that he wipes his chains down once a week and cleans them with degreaser once a month.

i started following his advice a few years back and never had a issue.

KMC Gold on the road bike has over 4k on it and good for many more.

KMC silver on the mtb has just short of 3k on it.I spray it down with a hp cleaner after muddy rides, dry and lube it.Clean it properly once a month.

I just use a drop of lube on each link and leave it overnight to dry and rub excess off.

I sometimes ride with a ex pro mechanic and his chain is always dirty.One day i asked him about it and he said,"people over clean their chains".He told me that he wipes his chains down once a week and cleans them with degreaser once a month.

KMC silver on the mtb has just short of 3k on it.I spray it down with a hp cleaner after muddy rides, dry and lube it.Clean it properly once a month.

I just use a drop of lube on each link and leave it overnight to dry and rub excess off.

But I like my chain shiny  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

I'll replace this one at round 1000km I think. Should be at 0.75 by then. I will take the advice in this thread to heart, do a proper clean and then only do maintenance for the next 450km with a degrease every 150km with a proper re-lube. A wipe and lube before rides will be what I do from here on. 

Then... the replacement will be a black XX1 chain so i don't see dirt  :w00t: . (It will also be the last sliver part on my bike to get blacked out so I'm kinda happy with that)

My laziness...vindicated.

post-64325-0-29868100-1604391744.gif

But I like my chain shiny  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Then... the replacement will be a black XX1 chain so i don't see dirt  :w00t: . (It will also be the last sliver part on my bike to get blacked out so I'm kinda happy with that)

But it will present you with a new ocd inducing ‘problem’. Eventually the black will wear through where it contacts the cassette...especially on the ‘back’ side as it climbs the gears. To a kesser extent the front, but it will. And the rollers literally only stay covered for the first ride lol.