Training indoors. Get on and go go go?

The other 99% needs to figure out where they fit in .... ultimately you will only USE it when you have a clear goal, whatever that may be for YOU ...

Indeed.

Right now I can't even comprehend jumping on the IDT when I have Suikerbossie 300m from my front door and the weather is so amazing.

Before Lockdown I was using mine pretty religiously. I was doing a Zwift training plan for what was supposed to be my first stage race.

When lockdown happened I just carried on with my training plan indoors. 

At the moment I'm "running" 3 times a week and riding 2-3 times a week outdoors so no IDT usage at the moment.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Indeed.

Right now I can't even comprehend jumping on the IDT when I have Suikerbossie 300m from my front door and the weather is so amazing.

Before Lockdown I was using mine pretty religiously. I was doing a Zwift training plan for what was supposed to be my first stage race.

When lockdown happened I just carried on with my training plan indoors. 

At the moment I'm "running" 3 times a week and riding 2-3 times a week outdoors so no IDT usage at the moment.

Same.. Before I fell I was on the IDT once a week for a big interval session, otherwise outdoors doing real life stuffs.

It is great to have for recovery though. I can just about sit and turn the pedals without discomfort, but no way could I hold a handle bar and actually ride outside.

Injury recovery, winter glumness and lockdowns...... Otherwise get outside yehballbag!

At first the Kickr was fun regardless of using Rouvy or Zwift. But as time passed I found myself getting bored and losing interest.

I have a very comfortable setup with Rouvy on a 27” monitor and a 40” TV above it to watch Netflix etc.

I just can’t stay motivated for more than 30 minutes really. Currently doing max 15km at a time. Very expensive setup to do fun rides on.

How do you stay motivated?

Was it me writing this ??? Following with big interest, my main problem is to recover from my shoulder , but i also feel BLEH at the moment

I'm riding twice a week. Saturday and Sunday mornings. 

At first the IDT was to just start getting back into riding after 3 years of doing nothing. It helped me to lose 10kg and get my legs stronger again. 

Now that I'm stronger and pushing the hard rides on weekends I just don't have motivation during the week to ride as well. 

R25k +- just sitting here is annoying me. I worked out a training program in Sufferfest now. Starts on the 9th. 

Taking the rest of the week off to nurse a slightly pulled muscle in my right glute. Next week the suffering begins. 

At first the IDT was to just start getting back into riding after 3 years of doing nothing. It helped me to lose 10kg and get my legs stronger again. 

Now that I'm stronger and pushing the hard rides on weekends I just don't have motivation during the week to ride as well. 

R25k +- just sitting here is annoying me. I worked out a training program in Sufferfest now. Starts on the 9th. 

Taking the rest of the week off to nurse a slightly pulled muscle in my right glute. Next week the suffering begins. 

You can try trainer road as well if sufferfest doesn't work for you.

It's pretty cheap considering what you get and a lot of people are happy with it.

Personally I enjoyed the IDT sessions.

It's boring and even with TV/Music it doesn't really distract you much, but if you have the right intervals/training schedule, I found it pretty easy to focus on that.

what are you doing with the other 5 days of the week ?

If you cant get outdoors then this is where the trainer becomes beneficial, 1 hard session on a Tuesday and a recovery spin on Thursday to get you ready for the weekend.

what are you doing with the other 5 days of the week ?

If you cant get outdoors then this is where the trainer becomes beneficial, 1 hard session on a Tuesday and a recovery spin on Thursday to get you ready for the weekend.

Monday is a recovery day from the weekend. 

Friday is recovery from the week. 

Tuesday to Thursday is indoor trainer. Work keeps me too busy to head outside during the weeks and our trails are too far away from home to drive there in peak traffic. 

Another upvote for Sufferfest here. Just a word of advice, it can get really tough but stick with it. If you feel you struggling dial it back a bit. It’s better to finish the session than give up. Certain workouts absolutely crush me (Shovel and A Very Dark Place) but I have increased my numbers by 25% since lockdown started by doing 3-4 workouts per week.

Don’t overlook the yoga. Its really good for rest days.

They were also offering free Wahoo Tickrs for annual subscriptions quite recently. Not sure if it is still on.

That offer was quite cool but for us here in SA we would have still had to pay for the shipping in $ ????

Another upvote for Sufferfest here. Just a word of advice, it can get really tough but stick with it. If you feel you struggling dial it back a bit. It’s better to finish the session than give up. Certain workouts absolutely crush me (Shovel and A Very Dark Place) but I have increased my numbers by 25% since lockdown started by doing 3-4 workouts per week.

They were also offering free Wahoo Tickrs for annual subscriptions quite recently. Not sure if it is still on.

Thanks to you and Robert I tried Sufferfest yesterday. The wind was HUMPING so no riding outdoors. I did the downward spiral. Holy FK! I've only ever seen heart rate numbers like that when I run or do Tuesday nights at Killarney.

It was amazing!!! Like doing a spinning class but with a power meter. I love the onscreen prompts and the little surge sections. And the choreographed music. I loved my spinning classes and they made a huge difference to my fitness. This takes that and adds a level on top of it.

High HR numbers. Hard workout. Music. Get off the bike totally broken in an hour. That's exactly what I want from training software.

I'm kicking Rouvy to the kerb. Gonna do the 2 weeks freebie and then sign up for a training program.

HEY WE BOTH LIVE IN HB!!!!

Edited by Duane_Bosch

Thanks to you and Robert I tried Sufferfest yesterday. The wind was HUMPING so no riding outdoors. I did the downward spiral. Holy FK! I've only ever seen heart rate numbers like that when I run or do Tuesday nights at Killarney.

It was amazing!!! Like doing a spinning class but with a power meter. I love the onscreen prompts and the little surge sections. And the choreographed music. I loved my spinning classes and they made a huge difference to my fitness. This takes that and adds a level on top of it.

High HR numbers. Hard workout. Music. Get off the bike totally broken in an hour. That's exactly what I want from training software.

I'm kicking Rouvy to the kerb. Gonna do the 2 weeks freebie and then sign up for a training program.

HEY WE BOTH LIVE IN HB!!!!

The sense of humor gets me. Especially at the end of the 4DP where they show you puppies and dogs taking car rides.

Use KICKSTART60 for a free 60 day trial ????.

And I am glad to hear that you have enjoyed your time in Sufferlandria ????.

O ja, and the training programmes are free on the app unless you want a custom one. They've also created a nice chat / support platform similar to vleisboek: https://forum.thesufferfest.com/ on here you can chat away with other Sufferlandrians and asked questions etc. The community is great. On there and or in Sufferlandria I am known as Sir Robert Whitehead so respect boys ????????. (Its the only place where I can flaunt my madness)

Edited by RobertWhitehead

Well i cant do my usual 60km loops on saturday and sundays without fear of being another stat at this stage.

I considered an IDT for this reason, but i like riding bikes, not gym equipment.

Ever since i got my bike back i have been sortof annoyed with it too. Like in I dont really know what to do with it. The road bike I got while it was gone does everything on road better than it anyway....and I enjoy riding the old bike, it is alot more involved with the downtube shifters etc. So I’m not using the mtb in the same way as before.

So i decided it has to be because i’ve become complacent or it’s become too easy to cruise 20km around the burbs on it...with gears.

So i took them off. Now, Instead of doing 2,5 hour +, 60km rides on saturdays and sundays...I destroy myself in singlespeed for 45min, 20km rides haha.

Motivation?

The floor is lava.

So there is no getting off the bike while stomping a hill....it’s a fun, new challenge i’m enjoying again. Also makes the 53/ 14-24 on the vintage roadie feel like x-mas lol.

Got my Kickr back and since my training program is now out by a week i decided to delete it and set it up to start on Monday again.

So... A very dark place was used to test the replacement kickr.

One does not simply ride that.... you suffer.

Edited by DR ◣◢