Training indoors. Get on and go go go?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One of my favourite lines on one of the sessions goes something like: "You probably are chewing stem so much right now you aren't reading this..."

I think it’s on Blender.

• 2 weeks later...

Another week of being balls deep in Sufferlandria. 

From starting on the 4th of November till now I've increased my FTP by 20w. 

Sufferfest is not fun. 

Sufferfest is not boring. 

Sufferfest is serious. 

When the intro to the training videos come up I get nervous because I know it's going to hurt and it's going to hurt for a solid hour. Sometimes into a very dark place.  

I really hope they have a Black Friday subscription offer. I love the suffering. 

+- 5 hours of training on the bike and then 5 hours on the trails this weekend. Going to be a good week overall for me. +- 160km for a change. 

Edited by DR ◣◢

At first the Kickr was fun regardless of using Rouvy or Zwift. But as time passed I found myself getting bored and losing interest.

I have a very comfortable setup with Rouvy on a 27” monitor and a 40” TV above it to watch Netflix etc.

I just can’t stay motivated for more than 30 minutes really. Currently doing max 15km at a time. Very expensive setup to do fun rides on.

How do you stay motivated?

Zwift races / Zwift power, numbers numbers numbers :D Trying to get your W/kg higher every time

In the meantime since lockdown I must have done 3 of them, but races is the only way to get me to sweat on the damn thing

There is race/ride every weeknight on rouvy organized by a South African goes By the name “handy Andy” that’s open to all and we get some great daily races In mixing it up with riders from other countries, great for motivation and comparing/ matching progress with others

I've been on Zwift for some about 3 years, and got a Kickr 2 years ago, and it was a HUGE step up over a wheel-on trainer, but outside was better

Enter lockdown and I rode daily for a few weeks and was smashing 100km rides 1x a week for a few weeks, HIIT during the week - it was lots and lots of training. It tapered off, but was still going strong, but then picked up a hip niggle, I took a 2 week break off the bike in July/Aug and it all fell apart - i just wasn't enjoying it and I felt like a hamster.

This was quickly followed by guilt, depression (self-diagnosed) and general misery. Guilt for not riding, that had turned out to not be fun anyway. The strength and fitness that was earned with blood, sweat and tears have evaporated as if they never were.

So I have resolved to make sure I'm having fun when I ride. Hell, I'm not paid to ride, I PAY to ride... we'll see what the new year brings. Perhaps I'll think differently?

I've been on Zwift for some about 3 years, and got a Kickr 2 years ago, and it was a HUGE step up over a wheel-on trainer, but outside was better

Enter lockdown and I rode daily for a few weeks and was smashing 100km rides 1x a week for a few weeks, HIIT during the week - it was lots and lots of training. It tapered off, but was still going strong, but then picked up a hip niggle, I took a 2 week break off the bike in July/Aug and it all fell apart - i just wasn't enjoying it and I felt like a hamster.

This was quickly followed by guilt, depression (self-diagnosed) and general misery. Guilt for not riding, that had turned out to not be fun anyway. The strength and fitness that was earned with blood, sweat and tears have evaporated as if they never were.

So I have resolved to make sure I'm having fun when I ride. Hell, I'm not paid to ride, I PAY to ride... we'll see what the new year brings. Perhaps I'll think differently?

Rouvy and Zwift make me feel like a hamster.

I'm not interested in races. I'm not competitive at all and it won't be a motivation for me. 

Sufferfest just works for me. The guided training combined with motivation and a wicked sense of humor has me knocking out a session hard enough that I need to mop the floor under my bike after a ride. 

Continuing the Sufferfest and it is really working well. 

Some sessions seem to have reduced NP, AC, and MAP as part of the workout while focussing 100% on FTP. At times I do however find it too easy. Did "Do as you're told" last night and a few minutes in I ramped everything to 100%. I don't even have remotely dull or sore legs to today.  

I do sweat quite a bit and my legs can feel the changes in power but I can easily keep up. I do a 4DP test every two weeks and my stats do improve. 

Should I just suck it up and accept it or boost everything to 100%?

Forgot to add. 

My weekly TSS is between 500 and 600. 

FTP is at 194w and increasing by around 10w per month. 

Continuing the Sufferfest and it is really working well. 

Some sessions seem to have reduced NP, AC, and MAP as part of the workout while focussing 100% on FTP. At times I do however find it too easy. Did "Do as you're told" last night and a few minutes in I ramped everything to 100%. I don't even have remotely dull or sore legs to today.  

I do sweat quite a bit and my legs can feel the changes in power but I can easily keep up. I do a 4DP test every two weeks and my stats do improve. 

Should I just suck it up and accept it or boost everything to 100%?

Follow it as you need the easy days for recovery. If you go to deep on the easy days, you may not be able to go hard on the hard days. You dont want to burn out.