Crank brother egg beaters

Daniel Silva

Having owned 3 sets of egg beaters and 2 rebuild kits and having taken good care of them I can confirm that they were not worth it in the end for me as a daily commuter. They just don't last. Everytime they gave an issue, I ended up using the old SPD's in the interim (says something). I have been riding Xtrack Race for the last 2 years and having no issue. What I liked about CB was I like the clip in mechanism, just so easy, so quick. It never got full of mud and the brass cleats never got play in (as some experienced). And of course they are light. But if you look at the fact that the SPD's are still working and I have the Xtrack for 2 years without maintenance, without fail, without rebuild, then CB unfortunately loses out.

Max Headroom in the previous post highlights some things you can do to extend the life of CB's, but that is alot of effort given there are other options available.

Buying second hand cleats really defeats the purpose of trying them out as said here the cleats wear and they wear quite fast due to being made of soft material.

So the set you're getting will be in that scale from worn to not worn and you won't know where they sit and as such won't get a clear picture.

If easy clip in out are all you looking after you can wind that screw on Shimano cleats way out or in, I had that them in the middleish when racing ac and had my Enduros wound in quite far.

It was too tight for some people but I hated getting unclipped in a high speed rock garden.

Mud shedding is the only 'real' advantage to crankbro's imo

Buying second hand cleats really defeats the purpose of trying them out as said here the cleats wear and they wear quite fast due to being made of soft material.

So the set you're getting will be in that scale from worn to not worn and you won't know where they sit and as such won't get a clear picture.

If easy clip in out are all you looking after you can wind that screw on Shimano cleats way out or in, I had that them in the middleish when racing ac and had my Enduros wound in quite far.

It was too tight for some people but I hated getting unclipped in a high speed rock garden.

Mud shedding is the only 'real' advantage to crankbro's imo

nope, they look cool and you get them in gold to match other shiny bits on your bike

I have a set of used cleats you can have to try the Eggbeaters with.

I have had my Candy 7's 4 years and they were used when I got them and only did a refresh kit end last year. It's cheap R300 and the set is back to new! Compared to what pedals cost these days even the enty level ones.

In a sense I am glad to hear CB are still going as, after multiple sets of Candy's (never wore out the cleats funnily enough) and re-builds over at least 10 to 12 years I swore off them when I could no longer get the re-build kits and prices rocketed, sadly. Broke a spring once and the agents then (Bicicletta?) replaced the pedals quite cheaply.  Swapped to XT ones.

Great pedals but just do not seem to last - the bush / bearing combo is not durable (IMHO).

Not Egg Beater related but my Stamp flats just ran bearing in the right pedal. 1000km done. Not impressed at all.

Shimano just lasts and lasts with zero maintenance needed.

My Egg Beaters sit on the IDT and they are still fine. Same with the cleats.

nope, they look cool and you get them in gold to match other shiny bits on your bike

true story but lets alsomaintain perspective here

Eggbeaters are not commuting pedals. 

EggBeaters are not trail pedals

Eggbeaters are not for knock around weekend warriors either.

EggBeaters are high performance pedals for riders demanding the lightest weight, with fast engagement and customised set up and feel. No less than 3 different cleat options ranging from 0 degree flaot to a whopping 17 degree float. The shoe contact point can be shimmed.

Yes they require more maintenance but they are high performance items designed for people who maintain their equipment and don't get concerned or anxious everytime they have to pick up a wrench.

The titanium axle models have a weight limit of 80kg for the rider with gear. Clearly not a trail option.

Crankbros make pedals for that market too and they're far more hard wearing.

The cleats do wear out faster as does TIME A.T.A.C cleats as the brass cleat is designed to be sacrificial so the retaining bars don't wear out or bind and cause sparks when rough steel cleats slide over rough steel retaining bars under pressure.

For a more relaxed pedal there is the Candy which is essentially an Eggbeater with a body wrapped around it to protect your feet and the pedal and provide more purchase for your shoe. Eggbeaters require stiff carbon soled shoes to get the best out of them

Horses for courses the saying goes.

For weekend warriors and people who want fit an forget pedals then the Shimano PD-520 is your pedal. If you want the high performance XTR pedal you're going to encounter the same need for high maintenance and low and behold a weight limit coupled to shockingly poor reliability.

Get the TIME A.T.A.C Carbon Ti pedals and the same applies, a rider weight limit and faster wearing bearings.

If you're smacking Eggbeater to the extent you're bending the axles then i strongly suggest some skills clinics because the design of the retention bars they take the impact and open releasing your foot. I've never bent an axle even the titanium axles.