Giro d' Italia 2021

'Dale

2 hours ago, lechatnoir said:

Wiggins' theory that Brailsford won't change the plan. Thomas was given the TdF spot. Nothing like making one of your star riders displeased by giving another, arguably better, rider a spot at TdF... It also give Ineos a great shot at winning all 3 GTs in a single year. Climbing in the Vuelta is no joke. Bernal will cope nicely with it

Edit- a ways to go before we kick the Vuelta off, but look out for sprinters abandoning en-masse...

It may be tempting to get Eeh-gahn over to the Tour. It would be an emotional response. Yes, the team on Pinarellos have their blueprint for success. Their team, at least some of them, are at altitude training in Teide. So, their periodisation is going. 

Tomorrow's prospect ????

a63a8a8045d416db813b35df184717b838d2a8da

Edited by 'Dale

• Replies 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, dsw said:

As a supporter of the Australian I have to point out that he made the Podium at the Tour as a team leader so I will not say he totally failed  ????

Yip, that 3rd place was a revelation. He was definitely the Almost Man for many seasons. He became a dad DURING STAGE 7 before the Tour, I think and I reckon this magical life event mentally elevated his performance. He's always had the capabilities, especially over a week's multistage.

Edited by 'Dale

43 minutes ago, meathead said:

I am enjoying Chris Horner's post race analysis on you tube.

included a link if anyone is interested

also came up on my feed, and while he is putting time into it. i can't take him seriously.

going on about "my man victor campanaerts" (said in the denzel washington way). ag no dude

10 minutes ago, 'Dale said:

It may be tempting to get Eeh-gahn over to the Tour. It would be an emotional response. Yes, the team on Pinarellos have their blueprint for success. Their team, at least some of them, are at altitude training in Teide. So, their periodisation is going. 

Tomorrow's prospect ????

a63a8a8045d416db813b35df184717b838d2a8da

Interesting start. Break might struggle to get a way on a downhill.

4 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

Probably a discussion for another thread but, what are Ineos plans for TDF?

With less than 4 weeks between races, who will ride?

Carapaz, Thomas, Tao, Porte? Kwiatowski, Swift, Dennis, Amador...... That leaves Dunbar, Rowe, Yates etc all out.

Will Bernal get a ride with his current form?

I was not a fan with their Skytrain and Skybots, but this team is lighting up races these days and winning even more. It has been awesome to watch the change in attitude translate into results.

Ayway, as you were. Back to the Giro. Bernal is a worthy winner thus far and I desperately hope bad luck or a poor decision doesn't mar a fantastic race.

Ineos will surely send Bernal to Vuelta as main GC. with Ganna ripping the flat lands to shreds again.

So GC at TdF - probably Thomas+Carapaz as coleaders, both doing Criterium from this weekend.

Not sure what the plan is with Adam Yates, he obviously came to Ineos with a plan but the pecking order is rof. 

Tao geoghan hart - i think he admitted that the giro win was quite a fluke, and he doesn't expect to be a GC hotshot at Ineos just yet  - both of them doing TdS, so i reckon they are only going to TdF as superdom and/or backup if issues hit in the first week.

either way the ineos lineup could have 6 mountain goats for TdF. They won't have the best GC rider, but will have a lot of cards to play and will try isolate the PogRog trains.

3 hours ago, Shebeen said:

also came up on my feed, and while he is putting time into it. i can't take him seriously.

going on about "my man victor campanaerts" (said in the denzel washington way). ag no dude

Is it just me or does he have huge hands. Well he keeps them weirdly infront of himself the whole time. But yes I have a listen everyday to what he has to say.

18 hours ago, Shebeen said:

I always listen to his breakdown after each stage.  very good insights. He was team mates with Victor so I dont mind.

11 hours ago, 'Dale said:

"His ego is dented. That boy had never lost. He won everything in the juniors, his first two years with the pros were also a great success. This is the first time that he has lost in sport." - Patrick Lefevere

Lees meer hier:
https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/remco-evenepoels-ego-dented-at-giro-ditalia-says-lefevere/

WT is a tough classroom to get schooled, but there's a myriad of factors contributing to his not performing to expectations. Or perhaps he did really well considering his ordeal over the last 9 months and the rest of us were being unrealistic?

I think we'll struggle to find a soundbite where Evenepoel stated he'd be a winner at the Giro - it was hype created by the media, which were doing media-things.

He has top people around him to help deal and process what's happened and I hope be bounces back. It'll sure be entertaining for us if he does. Oh, and I hope he learns some bike skills. No more crashes please!

6 minutes ago, lechatnoir said:

WT is a tough classroom to get schooled, but there's a myriad of factors contributing to his not performing to expectations. Or perhaps he did really well considering his ordeal over the last 9 months and the rest of us were being unrealistic?

I think we'll struggle to find a soundbite where Evenepoel stated he'd be a winner at the Giro - it was hype created by the media, which were doing media-things.

He has top people around him to help deal and process what's happened and I hope be bounces back. It'll sure be entertaining for us if he does. Oh, and I hope he learns some bike skills. No more crashes please!

It happens. Remember Yates at the Giro 2018 (He eventually finished the race 21st overall, 1 hour and 15 minutes behind the winner Froome.)? Comes back and wins Vuelta.

11 hours ago, OVERDRIVE said:

Have you guys seen this? Bernal chased by some loon with a live chainsaw? 

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/egan-bernal-chased-up-giro-ditalia-climb-by-chainsaw-wielding-fans/

Nothing sinister going on here, I expect they had chainsaw motors without the blade, purely for adding to the atmosphere thru loud sound effects.

its fairly common practice past at outdoor MX and sometimes downhill events for fans to rev the 2 stroke motors just before the start or when the leader or their favorites come past, never seen it at road cycling tho.....

7 minutes ago, SwissVan said:

Nothing sinister going on here, I expect they had chainsaw motors without the blade, purely for adding to the atmosphere thru loud sound effects.

its fairly common practice past at outdoor MX and sometimes downhill events for fans to rev the 2 stroke motors just before the start or when the leader or their favorites come past, never seen it at road cycling tho.....

What happened to ringing a cow bell on the mountain stages? 

4 minutes ago, TNT1 said:

What happened to ringing a cow bell on the mountain stages? 

Tour de Suisse starts next week Sunday, 6 June cow ????