Sealant in road tubes

peevee

48 minutes ago, Thomo said:

There are a few cheaper (not cheap) options available.

I initially also used a medical syringe which worked ok.

The cycling specific ones however are firstly appropriately sized, and with the tube that attaches to the valve is just a lot easier and cleaner.

The syringe I bought from Clicks fits perfectly into the valve, you can't get much easier or cleaner than that? Anyway, cyclists always like to pay huge premiums because it means it must be better and it will make them faster! I'm happy with my R6-00 tool

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

50 minutes ago, Thomo said:

The cycling specific ones however are firstly appropriately sized, and with the tube that attaches to the valve is just a lot easier and cleaner.

I just use a wooden skewer nicked form my wifes cooking utensil drawer. remove the valve core and dip the skewer in . leave it for a few seconds and withdraw. anything less than 5mm on the end of the stick = top up

PS Have not had any issues with Enduro-Seal sealing my road tubeless up to 80psi. I don't need to run those tyres any higher than 80psi anyway and since high pressures in a road tubeless set up leads to de-tensioning spokes there's added incentive to limit pressure.

• 1 year later...
On 7/12/2021 at 11:31 AM, Thomo said:

So I stepped on my R200.00 Stans syringe some time ago and have been nursing it along since ...

Managed to get a R6.95 replacement today and just transferred the tube attachment. 😊

20230128_132447.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Thomo said:

Anybody using inflate/repair cans.? 🤷‍♂️

20230205_162222.jpg

They don't work. Carried two of these in races for a while. When it was time to use them a small amount of foam came out, did not seal anything. Now carry 2 small Stans bottles, bomb and co2 cartridges with small tool to remove valve core. This is for my tubby race wheels.

Edited by Martin PJ

42 minutes ago, Martin PJ said:

They don't work. Carried two of these in races for a while. When it was time to use them a small amount of foam came out, did not seal anything. Now carry 2 small stabs bottles, bomb and co2 cartridges with small tool to remove valve core. This is for my tubby race wheels.

Ok - thanks. Was thinking it would be a good back-up. Not necessarily that product/brand but whatever works. 

Otherwise it's the standard other items you mention.

34 minutes ago, Thomo said:

Ok - thanks. Was thinking it would be a good back-up. Not necessarily that product/brand but whatever works. 

Otherwise it's the standard other items you mention.

Buy a few and test them. They have a limited shelf life and you have to shake them well before use. I prefer the Stans, safer option, similar weight.

14 hours ago, Martin PJ said:

Buy a few and test them. They have a limited shelf life and you have to shake them well before use. I prefer the Stans, safer option, similar weight.

^^truth

I've tested many of those cans from the suff you buy at Midas to Vittoria to Michelin. None of them work well in a bicycle. In a car they work ok to get you to a tyre repair facility. In an MTB wheel  its similar pressure to a car tyre but it still doesn't work well enough. they were ok in tubes but not a permanent fix.