Sealant in road tubes

peevee

Not sure if you work for Stan's (LOL) but it only seals pressures up to 40 to 50psi so not at all suitable for road tyres

got to admit his message is a little enthusiastic, but I'm using stan's race sealant at the moment in my road tires, just cause I couldn't find anythingelse the day I needed to buy some, and it's working so far.

I have tried to go back to tubes for a week because I wanted skinwalls on my black bike. After 3 punctures in under 300km I went back to tubeless with the first sealant I could find (stans race sealant) and I'm never going back to tubes...

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if you work for Stan's (LOL) but it only seals pressures up to 40 to 50psi so not at all suitable for road tyres

Not everything is a conspiracy theory - I just love the product. Used it in the shop for years and it has won nearly every review/shoot out/comparison it's been in.

Use it don't use it - your choice.

Here is a grab from their site. I know some of their wheels have lower pressure limits but never heard of their sealant having a pressure limit. If you have some intel I'm always happy to be proven wrong.

post-2412-0-46241400-1614927082_thumb.jpg

I use the MTB sealants on road tires, like I said, it works half the time. If the puncture is too big, it doesn't work.

sealant only works up to a point, that's why on long rides I take a tube with, and plugs.

From my experience on road bikes :

- Punctures that require a plug are very rare, usually once your pressure drops to about 4 bars sealant will seal most punctures (any decent sealant)

- Plugs usually don't last very long, it's really mostly just to get you home, if you leave it it will eventually, after 3/4 rides cause you problems

- It is very simple to just take your tire off, clean it, fix it from the inside, let it dry overnight, put it back on, with sealant, and ride it for 5 mins to make sure sealant seal whatever leaks your fix may have. usually lasts.

Only used a tube once, after loosing a double plug (Hole was too big for only one plug, two plugs held for a few hundred kms but eventually got a flat again during a ride :D)

Edited by Jbr

The problem with using MTB sealant on road tyres is that is doesn't really work and it's given road tubeless a bad rap. People would rather change tubes on the side of the road.

I'm using tubeless if not for the convenience, then also for the safety factor. I feel like a sitting duck changing tubes in certain areas.

Using proper road sealant means the tyre is normally sealed while you're still moving. I have had many punctures where the pressure has only dropped from 85psi to 80psi and fixed while still rolling. That was with Orange Seal. Sludge and Stans were useless and very messy.

I now have Joe's road sealant but haven't had a puncture to test it

Not everything is a conspiracy theory - I just love the product. Used it in the shop for years and it has won nearly every review/shoot out/comparison it's been in.

Use it don't use it - your choice.

I'm just kidding with you but I have used Stan's with no joy because I couldn't get Orange seal over here. Friends of mine have also used it and went back to tubes because it makes an awful mess when it sprays everywhere. Orange Seal peels of cleanly with just a finger

The problem with using MTB sealant on road tyres is that is doesn't really work and it's given road tubeless a bad rap. People would rather change tubes on the side of the road.

I'm using tubeless if not for the convenience, then also for the safety factor. I feel like a sitting duck changing tubes in certain areas.

Using proper road sealant means the tyre is normally sealed while you're still moving. I have had many punctures where the pressure has only dropped from 85psi to 80psi and fixed while still rolling. That was with Orange Seal. Sludge and Stans were useless and very messy.

I now have Joe's road sealant but haven't had a puncture to test it

I used Stans (not race). Bought a big bottle because thats all the shop had. Useless. Still have most of the bottle sitting on a shelf. 

I have not had the opportunity to test the Enduro seal that I'm using yet. (takes off shoes and socks, touches wood with both hands and both feet)

Edited by ouzo

zero issues with Enduro Seal now since November in road tubeless application.

I have used enduro sealant, it worked just as good as stans race sealant. Big holes would take a few dozen meters to eventually seal (once the pressure reduces a little bit), small ones would seal within 3/4 rotations. Eitherway 99% of the time I never had to stop, which already makes it worth the switch from tubes.

Now our Orange sealant ambassador generated some big expectations, let's see when that sealant lands in SA. I'd better not have to stop once otherwise the hub will hear about it  :w00t:  :w00t:

Edited by Jbr

I have used enduro sealant, it worked just as good as stans race sealant. Big holes would take a few dozen meters to eventually seal (once the pressure reduces a little bit), small ones would seal within 3/4 rotations. Eitherway 99% of the time I never had to stop, which already makes it worth the switch from tubes.

Now our Orange sealant ambassador generated some big expectations, let's see when that sealant lands in SA. I'd better not have to stop once otherwise the hub will hear about it :w00t: :w00t:

LOL, I hope so too!

Joe's road sealant does look promising, they claim it is suitable for pressures up to 130psi!!!

I don't believe that but 80psi will be just fine. I will go out and look for glass this weekend and report back

I was commenting on Stans / MTB sealants in road tubes. I think that was the original question asked for this thread.

So to be honest, I think it does work and is worth trying.

• 3 weeks later...

LOL, I hope so too!

Joe's road sealant does look promising, they claim it is suitable for pressures up to 130psi!!!

I don't believe that but 80psi will be just fine. I will go out and look for glass this weekend and report back

I had a chance to test Joe's road sealant this weekend. It claims to seal tyres up to 120psi... it doesn't. I pump my tyres to 80psi, I had a small 1mm staple in my tyre and it only stopped leaking air at 60psi and happily finished my ride. I topped up the sealant when I got home last night and pumped up to 80psi. I left the punctured side of the tyre facing down where all the sealant collects. Came down this morning to find the tyre at 40psi with a puddle of sealant on the floor.

My claim stands, Orange Seal is the only way to go. If only it was available in SA

I had a chance to test Joe's road sealant this weekend. It claims to seal tyres up to 120psi... it doesn't. I pump my tyres to 80psi, I had a small 1mm staple in my tyre and it only stopped leaking air at 60psi and happily finished my ride. I topped up the sealant when I got home last night and pumped up to 80psi. I left the punctured side of the tyre facing down where all the sealant collects. Came down this morning to find the tyre at 40psi with a puddle of sealant on the floor.

My claim stands, Orange Seal is the only way to go. If only it was available in SA

Our first shipment of OrangeSeal lands in RSA in +-8 weeks.

i'll post back here as soon as we have it in stock

i know it's a long lead time. 

it's our first shipment. OrangeSeal manufacture per order to ensure the sealant is nice and fresh

My experience with Enduro after three months of topping up.  Granted, not a road wheel but gravel.

Too liquid in my opinion and the Ammonia smell is really significant.  Stans works for me. 

post-19902-0-14287200-1616330856_thumb.jpg