The Ouzo

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

59 minutes ago, Matu said:

My first 94.7, seeded on BB batch, how bad is it? hahaha

My first one was VV, so the answer would be  “probably”.

Edited by Frosty

3 minutes ago, Frosty said:

My first one was VV, so the answer would be  “probably”.

did my first one in '98, seeded in O, 18km/h average. Ouch!!

Reading on the issue of racing batches and non racer riders I sometimes wonder why do they place riders in these categories when they are not racing. Yes the issue can be that the rider is strong and can easily ride at that pace but tactics in these racing bunches is another ball game. This happened to my son a few years ago while still at school. The one year he rode a sub 3 (think 2:45 or 2:50) and the next year year he was placed with the racing juniors. He started with them but he had a puncture and was dropped from the bunch, he tried to join one of the V* batches but everytime he was told by one the officials then he need to get out of the bunch he can't ride with them. He was extremely negative because it was his first time in a racing category and did not know the rules. Come to think of it what would've happened if he accidently had a podium finish? I think that he would've been most likely be disqualified because his bike was not the in the spec of racing juniors(unfair advantage of the gearing). Luckily it did not happen as I would've shared my 2cents.

1 minute ago, Red Robin said:

I have major FOMO reading this now. Gave my entry away after having Covid and fitness just not up to it. 

Hope everybody had a great ride and enjoy every moment!

You could've just ride instead of racing...but rather safe than sorry after recovering from this nasty bug...

1 hour ago, JJDT said:

You could've just ride instead of racing...but rather safe than sorry after recovering from this nasty bug...

I ride not race even before Covid  so no chance now ????. I was only ever a happy back marker aiming to finish and enjoy the ride. 

I am still dong the MTB one as I always enjoy it. 

2 hours ago, JJDT said:

Reading on the issue of racing batches and non racer riders I sometimes wonder why do they place riders in these categories when they are not racing. Yes the issue can be that the rider is strong and can easily ride at that pace but tactics in these racing bunches is another ball game. This happened to my son a few years ago while still at school. The one year he rode a sub 3 (think 2:45 or 2:50) and the next year year he was placed with the racing juniors. He started with them but he had a puncture and was dropped from the bunch, he tried to join one of the V* batches but everytime he was told by one the officials then he need to get out of the bunch he can't ride with them. He was extremely negative because it was his first time in a racing category and did not know the rules. Come to think of it what would've happened if he accidently had a podium finish? I think that he would've been most likely be disqualified because his bike was not the in the spec of racing juniors(unfair advantage of the gearing). Luckily it did not happen as I would've shared my 2cents.

Well............
Two scenarios.

If he did not want to race, then it was open for him to drop back.  
Seeding gets done in big race on ability or rather your seeding index.  And they then take, in your case for instance, the top 50? 100? best junior seedings and bunch them together.

Should he wanted to "compete" or "race" of a podium, he would had to abide by the set rules as per our sport.  Get junior gears.  Don't do drugs.  wear correct clothing etc.  Them the rules.
If you don't want to be part of that scenario or set rules then you just fall back to the groups behind you.

17 minutes ago, Spinnekop said:

Well............
Two scenarios.

If he did not want to race, then it was open for him to drop back.  
Seeding gets done in big race on ability or rather your seeding index.  And they then take, in your case for instance, the top 50? 100? best junior seedings and bunch them together.

Should he wanted to "compete" or "race" of a podium, he would had to abide by the set rules as per our sport.  Get junior gears.  Don't do drugs.  wear correct clothing etc.  Them the rules.
If you don't want to be part of that scenario or set rules then you just fall back to the groups behind you.

Thanks for clearing the seeding issue. It was only later that we learned about jnr gears and the rules regarding racing. Surely I think it is still a bit unfair to a rider although capable throwing him/her in a racing bunch. Racing is these batches is at another level with all the attacks from the word go.

Good luck for 21...first step towards 30.

5 minutes ago, JJDT said:

Thanks for clearing the seeding issue. It was only later that we learned about jnr gears and the rules regarding racing. Surely I think it is still a bit unfair to a rider although capable throwing him/her in a racing bunch. Racing is these batches is at another level with all the attacks from the word go.

Very intimidating, I agree.  
But he deservedly got into that batch so had to give it a bash right?  ????

I don't know of one rookie that got seeded in his or her first Licensed bunch and not got shelled in the first 10km.  Its a steep learning curve.  

26 minutes ago, Spinnekop said:

Looking forward to my 21st 94.7.

I didn’t do last year’s one so I’m going for number 19, but my average time is nowhere near yours (too many fun rides).

11 minutes ago, JJDT said:

Good luck for 21...first step towards 30.

Curious to know if the gogga did bite him... did he continue on to racing as a licensed junior afterwards?

Just now, Zeffer said:

Curious to know if the gogga did bite him... did he continue on to racing as a licensed junior afterwards?

No...he never had intentions to officially race. The next year was back to A bunch and the last 5 races after this incident he was always seeded in A.