947 Ride Joburg

The Ouzo

So how many hubbers have done more than 15 including this year?

From the posts so far I know the following...

Spinnekop = 21

Frosti = 19

JJDT = 17

Please feel free to edit/add your name. Would be interesting to see the numbers.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, JJDT said:

Spinnekop = 21

Frosti = 19

JJDT = 17

Ouzo = 17/18 can never remember

Please feel free to edit/add your name. Would be interesting to see the numbers.

52 minutes ago, Spinnekop said:

Very intimidating, I agree.  
But he deservedly got into that batch so had to give it a bash right?  ????

I don't know of one rookie that got seeded in his or her first Licensed bunch and not got shelled in the first 10km.  Its a steep learning curve.  

For the uneducated like me, would you give me a laymans run down of how this racing bunch/seeding thing works? 
I dont get why, if a rider falls off the pace (or has a mechanical) then joins a group behind him, he then gets pulled and relegated. 

Sure, I get the concept of batching the riders. But surely the fastest recorded race tag will win the entire race, even if that rider started in the 3 or 4th batch?

Or am I missing something here

Sorry - I'm just a mtb'er  

Edited by 117
fixed crap mtb speeeeling

24 minutes ago, 117 said:

For the uneducated like me, would you give me a laymans run down of how this racing bunch/seeding thing works? 
I dont get why, if a rider falls off the pace (or has a mechanical) then joins a group behind him, he then gets pulled and relegated. 

Sure, I get the concept of batching the riders. But surely the fastest recorded race tag will win the entire race, even if that rider started in the 3 or 4th batch?

Or am I missing something here

Sorry - I'm just a mtb'er  

In the racing categories there is racing, strategy and tactics at play.

Lets say 15 riders fall off the back of the VA main bunch and land up with VB batch. Those VA riders can influence/ get in the way of the racing currently at play in the VB bunch. 

the same is true when a racing bunch catches the group ahead. its been seen before where the break of VB has caught the main VA bunch. the main VA bunch has to sit up and cannot jump on the back of the VB break. 

each racing category has its own race underway and therefore riders from other bathces are not allowed to influence the race.

So a multitude of different winners then? So a VB rider can be faster overall but still not win as he was not in VA batch? 

1 hour ago, JJDT said:

Spinnekop = 21

Frosti = 19

JJDT = 17

My 17th ...

10 minutes ago, 117 said:

So a multitude of different winners then? So a VB rider can be faster overall but still not win as he was not in VA batch? 

A VB rider is competing against his VB batch, nobody else. He can be faster than all VA riders sure, but he won't then win the VA batch. He will just have completed the race quicker.

If you want to be in the running for the title of Overall winner of 947, you need to qualify for the elite batch and then beat the riders in that batch.

And yes, you have multiple winners, each according to their batch.

10 minutes ago, 117 said:

Yes, so there will be a podium for all racing categories. So therefore a VB rider cannot win in the VA Category. Each racing category has their own start and time.

The overall winner of the race however comes from the Elite men and Elite woman categories.

Just to clarify something (not sure if it has been mentioned): The racing categories are grouped by age. I.E VA = 30-34, VB = 35-39 and so on. So it will be the top seeded x amount of people per age group competing against each other.

1 minute ago, 475 said:

Just to clarify something (not sure if it has been mentioned): The racing categories are grouped by age. I.E VA = 30-34, VB = 35-39 and so on. So it will be the top seeded x amount of people per age group competing against each other.

That is correct for 947.

However in the "smaller events" you will only get into the racing categories if you have a current CSA license which you need to apply for.

I'll drop this here:

2021 Ride Joburg - Bikehub seeding list

Add your name under the relevant starting group (Select a sheet at the bottom if your group is not on the first page). Maybe add your total number completed in brackets behind your name so @JJDT can tally up the totals ????

Maybe we can use this to form Bikehub pelotons ????

50 minutes ago, 475 said:

I'll drop this here:

2021 Ride Joburg - Bikehub seeding list

Add your name under the relevant starting group (Select a sheet at the bottom if your group is not on the first page). Maybe add your total number completed in brackets behind your name so @JJDT can tally up the totals ????

Maybe we can use this to form Bikehub pelotons ????

I'm a bit too technically unable to edit the sheet. Tried on three devices. 

A group (5th) 

1 hour ago, Nico van Loggerenberg said:

What kind of pace can us lesser mortals expect in the J/K/L bunches? 

I am hoping for 3:30 but don't know with the new route.

20 minutes ago, BouncingBrain said:

I'm a bit too technically unable to edit the sheet. Tried on three devices. 

A group (5th) 

No worries - I've added you.