947 Ride Joburg

The Ouzo

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Hubbers

Want your opinion - so I strictly ride MTB. Have done a bunch of 100km plus rides with furthest being Cullinan to Tonteldoos 260km, so not to concerned with fitness. Having never ridden a road bike (although having organised a loaner if needed) - would you suggest I stick to the MTB for this or go for the road bike option?

Edited by Charity85

2 minutes ago, Charity85 said:

Hey Hubbers

Want your opinion - so I strictly ride MTB. Have done a bunch of 100km plus rides with furthest being Cullinan to Tonteldoos 260km, so not to concerned with fitness. Having never ridden a road bike (although having organised a loaner if needed) - would you suggest I stick to the MTB for this or go for the road bike option?

Personally I think you'll have more fun on a road bike if your fit and setup is correct. 

6 minutes ago, Nico van Loggerenberg said:

Personally I think you'll have more fun on a road bike if your fit and setup is correct. 

Hear hear!

Something special about zipping along in a bunch of road bikes on the highway.

Having said that, what is your start time? If it is in the 2nd-half of groups then "bunch riding" isn't really going to happen, you will be slogging it out on your own. It is a bit of a shock to the system to ride climbs without the gearing of a MTB, so be prepared for that.

But do it regardless. If you've done Tonteldoos, then 947 on a roadbike will be a breeze.

1 hour ago, Charity85 said:

Hey Hubbers

Like already mentioned take the right tool for the job, its way more fun! Just to reiterate that you make sure the road bike is setup properly for you and do try do a few rides on it before the time. 

1 minute ago, Chadvdw67 said:

AA start bunch for me, curious to know how they know my drinking habits....? ????

I could suggest that you recently got "chipped", but this thread won't make it past lunchtime, so I won't... ;) 

Apologies if this has been addressed already, cant seem to find anything in the search.

I've been riding to the start of 94.7 for years now. Many riders used to do so in the past to avoid the hassle of cars/traffic etc.

Wondering if any riders have any plans to ride to the start this year from Parktown North/ Dunkeld area to the start?

The nice part about this finish is it would be a pretty flat/downhillish stroll back home from the finish using the highway route. (I think)

Group heading out to the start would need to be fairly early for the first batch starts and a decent size group for safety purposes.

We do ride out to the South sometimes where we head through Vrededorp > Fordsburg > Booysens and then to Soccer City via Booysens Reserve Rd.

Bottom line: On a scale of 1-'k@k-idea' where does this sit? ????

Edited by Cunning-Stunt

1 hour ago, Cunning-Stunt said:

Apologies if this has been addressed already, cant seem to find anything in the search.

I've been riding to the start of 94.7 for years now. Many riders used to do so in the past to avoid the hassle of cars/traffic etc.

Wondering if any riders have any plans to ride to the start this year from Parktown North/ Dunkeld area to the start?

The nice part about this finish is it would be a pretty flat/downhillish stroll back home from the finish using the highway route. (I think)

Group heading out to the start would need to be fairly early for the first batch starts and a decent size group for safety purposes.

We do ride out to the South sometimes where we head through Vrededorp > Fordsburg > Booysens and then to Soccer City via Booysens Reserve Rd.

For the first time in 20 years, I can now ride to the start, although It’s not ideal to ride with lights and not have a car to place it in.

For me, it’s a nice 20km warm up ride with 290m climbing mostly in the first 10km.

7 minutes ago, Frosty said:

For the first time in 20 years, I can now ride to the start, although It’s not ideal to ride with lights and not have a car to place it in.

For me, it’s a nice 20km warm up ride with 290m climbing mostly in the first 10km.

which route would you take ? I thought about parking at my folks place and riding in. havent looked at routes yet

On 10/22/2021 at 7:41 PM, BouncingBrain said:

Any chance this Sunday has a ride with 32ish avg? Keen to join a ride near East Rand

I am sure Bicyleline will have something at that speed sometime this week-end, one group was planning a klapper kop ride for Sunday

2 hours ago, Cunning-Stunt said:

Komoot came up with this route from Melville. Might need to hop some barriers across Main Reef though. 

Screenshot_20211028-140250_Komoot.jpg

16 minutes ago, Dexter-morgan said:

I am sure Bicyleline will have something at that speed sometime this week-end, one group was planning a klapper kop ride for Sunday

Thanks for the info. The way I planned was a harder ride two weeks before Tshwane, as that was also two weeks out from Ride Joburg.

This weekend, either doing a small crit or going to SBR

22 minutes ago, WR 1.0 said:

Komoot came up with this route from Melville. Might need to hop some barriers across Main Reef though. 

Screenshot_20211028-140250_Komoot.jpg

This is the route I was thinking of which I've done before in groups during the day. Little longer but still pretty flat. 

Screenshot_20211028-142739_Komoot.jpg

2 hours ago, ouzo said:

which route would you take ? I thought about parking at my folks place and riding in. havent looked at routes yet

Up Voortrekker, Silver Ball, Rifle Range road all the way to Nasrec Road. It's the most direct route there.
Most routes have to go over the ridge that is the southern klipriversberg koppies, so it's up at some point on the route. Might as well get it out the way early.
  image.png.924c091b75c12c163fe2038a20571322.png

Edited by Frosty