947 Ride Joburg

The Ouzo

3 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Up Voortrekker, Silver Ball, Rifle Range road all the way to Nasrec Road. It's the most direct route there.
Most routes have to go over the ridge that is the southern klipriversberg koppies, so it's up at some point on the route. Might as well get it out the way early.

sounds like the most direct route too.

What time are you planning on going through ? Would you be keen for some slow company ? (still deciding what I'm going to do though)

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, ouzo said:

sounds like the most direct route too.

What time are you planning on going through ? Would you be keen for some slow company ? (still deciding what I'm going to do though)

VD starts at 05:55; batch loading opens at 05:00. So leaving at 04:30 would be cutting it fine (25km/h gets me there at 05:18 and then still offloading lights to our club car (if it follows us). Other club members are starting in the alphabet groups, except one unlucky soul in VA. If he rides there, it’s even earlier.

I’ll let you know closer to the day what happens.

1 minute ago, Frosty said:

VD starts at 05:55; batch loading opens at 05:00. So leaving at 04:30 would be cutting it fine (25km/h gets me there at 05:18 and then still offloading lights to our club car (if it follows us). Other club members are starting in the alphabet groups, except one unlucky soul in VA. If he rides there, it’s even earlier.

I’ll let you know closer to the day what happens.

Yeah no that’s way to early. I’m only starting at 6:50, loading at 6:30

10 hours ago, NotSoBigBen said:

Like already mentioned take the right tool for the job, its way more fun! Just to reiterate that you make sure the road bike is setup properly for you and do try do a few rides on it before the time. 

And @NotSoBigBen would now. He has many many tools for so many different jobs . 

But agree on the road bike . Love the speed you get on a road bike . 

7 hours ago, ouzo said:

which route would you take ? I thought about parking at my folks place and riding in. havent looked at routes yet

I have been thinking about riding there. But getting up even earlier is just meh ????...so swartkoppies, up past ppc and round the back of mall of the south . Am sure NSBB will ride there, right mate ?

11 hours ago, ACM said:

Do they also send a mail with the seeding/start time for the MTB event?

Yes, some of my mates got a spread sheet, I did not get it but my name is on it.

13 hours ago, Pikey said:

I have been thinking about riding there. But getting up even earlier is just meh ????...so swartkoppies, up past ppc and round the back of mall of the south . Am sure NSBB will ride there, right mate ?

Thing is leaving that early then being lumped with lights and stuff doesn't really appeal to me ... thinking to get a lift there, ride back home after the event rather

9 minutes ago, NotSoBigBen said:

Thing is leaving that early then being lumped with lights and stuff doesn't really appeal to me ... thinking to get a lift there, ride back home after the event rather

I'm not to stressed about the lights though, I guess because I ride with them every day and the front light sits under my GPS mount so its out of sight.

The warmer clothing required for the morning is more of an issue though.

Howzit Hubbers

Some advice please.

In the last 94.7 in 2019 I was seeded A in the Open seeded. Decided to start in A but was dropped on the first climb - pace was intense. I then waited for B and rode with B to the end.

This year I have been seeded VA ???? I don't recall entering the racing class? Do you need a racing CSA license? A few years ago I by mistake entered the VA racing class for an Amashova event (I didnt select Open seeded). On the day I started with VA and also got dropped early on. I just thought I would wait for the next batch VB/VC to catch me. I tried to join the next batch but then the race commissaire vehicle following the batch said I could not ride with the later racing batches. It ended up being a long day out for me on my own.

I wonder if the same will apply to 94.7 if starting in VA batch and not being able to join other batches starting behind after being dropped?

Thinking of rather dropping back and starting with B.

Thanks.

3 hours ago, Dexter-morgan said:

Yes, some of my mates got a spread sheet, I did not get it but my name is on it.

love to see that spreadsheet

34 minutes ago, Avo said:

Howzit Hubbers

Some advice please.

In the last 94.7 in 2019 I was seeded A in the Open seeded. Decided to start in A but was dropped on the first climb - pace was intense. I then waited for B and rode with B to the end.

This year I have been seeded VA ???? I don't recall entering the racing class? Do you need a racing CSA license? A few years ago I by mistake entered the VA racing class for an Amashova event (I didnt select Open seeded). On the day I started with VA and also got dropped early on. I just thought I would wait for the next batch VB/VC to catch me. I tried to join the next batch but then the race commissaire vehicle following the batch said I could not ride with the later racing batches. It ended up being a long day out for me on my own.

I wonder if the same will apply to 94.7 if starting in VA batch and not being able to join other batches starting behind after being dropped?

Thinking of rather dropping back and starting with B.

Thanks.

thanks for asking this im in exactly the same position, and would like to know as well

VA  & racing groups vs Alphabet will be a very different experience.

VA race for postion and placing. Lots of surges and hard racing. Sparks always fly and until the break gets away its very very hard racing.

A and B bunch ride hard but its more of a mass group racing against the clock. a hard but consistent effort for the whole route. a lot less surging and sprinting for postion in the bunch. not easy by any means but not nearly as intense as the racing groups.

If you are out the back in the racing groups you are not allowed to join the racing group behind.

Hope that helps in some way.

11 minutes ago, wattnow said:

VA  & racing groups vs Alphabet will be a very different experience.

VA race for postion and placing. Lots of surges and hard racing. Sparks always fly and until the break gets away its very very hard racing.

A and B bunch ride hard but its more of a mass group racing against the clock. a hard but consistent effort for the whole route. a lot less surging and sprinting for postion in the bunch. not easy by any means but not nearly as intense as the racing groups.

If you are out the back in the racing groups you are not allowed to join the racing group behind.

Hope that helps in some way.

Thanks for the info. Helps a lot. I hope those that have been seeded into these racing categories through no choice of their own know they cant join racing groups behind.

5 minutes ago, Avo said:

Thanks for the info. Helps a lot. I hope those that have been seeded into these racing categories through no choice of their own know they cant join racing groups behind.

Agreed, they should have more information regarding the racing groups in the race pack and or in their endless emails. They should not simply add non racing riders into the racing groups (Only holders of CSA racing licenses should be allowed in racing groups). It becomes dangerous for everyone in that bunch.