947 Ride Joburg

The Ouzo

Great ride, great event. 

I did not race it, as broken ribs and a bad fall few weeks back made me loose some training time. joined a friend who had an operation. we chilled and just went to ride our bikes.

Enjoyed the vide, the small crowds everywhere and the kids all smiles next to the road.

Cant wait to chill it again next year. did a 4:20 but was so chilled and pushed my fair share of

tnt chariot, tandems and individuals up some of the climbs.

Do I want to improve my time.

Hell no. was so much fun. even stopped for 10 min on he Nelson Bridge to take in JHB vide.

and a note on traffic. 

I think they dropped the ball in one small point. they forgot (or i missed) that the New Nasrec turnoff will be closed at 5:30. When we saw the long que as in typical JHB style we passed only to find out that at nasrec the double lanes was open and seems people forgot about it. 10 min in and parked 150 meters from start. We left 530 mogale.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

27 minutes ago, Pikey said:

I finished quite buggered to be honest. Found the route tougher with all the climbing at the end. But I suppose it always depends on the training you have put in.

The start at Steyn City buggers me up with the climbs early on, this was more to my liking. Also once I finished the BraamFisher/Jan Smuts section and exiting Jhb City I found while still undulating it flowed quickly 

11 minutes ago, ouzo said:

I think the tail wind pushing us over the climbs coming back has been underestimated by many. 
I definitely felt like I was going up quicker than than the condition of my legs should have been able to push me 

Suspect the same. Ride this route on a stinking hot 32 degree windless day....

1 minute ago, NotSoBigBen said:

What is this 'tail wind' ? Lest ye forget ... it's either a headwind or you're having a good day ????

????????????

19 minutes ago, scotty said:

The start at Steyn City buggers me up with the climbs early on, this was more to my liking. Also once I finished the BraamFisher/Jan Smuts section and exiting Jhb City I found while still undulating it flowed quickly 

True that, that stern city climb is leg burner and killer ,but I take a while to warm up on cold legs regardless. I did like the last 10km odd finish on the motorway. It was a nice finish instead of climbing when you buggered. 

Well done to everyone who finished!    I managed a 3:40 after starting in L group at 7:15.  

I was also a bit annoyed with the entrance from N1 north as I arrived 3 km before the Rand Show off ramp at around 5:45.    I guess the que to the offramp was more than 3 km long and yet so many people just skipped the que to go to the front and push in -   I just put my friendly race face on and  let them be and said to myself they probably over slept and were very late for their start times.  - hopefully they will get up earlier next time  ????

For some  reason I battled a bit with the hills this year -  maybe I do better if they are placed in the first half of the route.

It was a great morning ride with like minded people  ????

Brilliant event! Parking was easy.

I was seeded in VA but decided to drop and ride with A batch. I see in the results they have assumed I started with VA and thus an extra 40mins on my actual time.

Anybody have a similar results difference when dropping back into another batch?

5 minutes ago, Avo said:

Brilliant event! Parking was easy.

I was seeded in VA but decided to drop and ride with A batch. I see in the results they have assumed I started with VA and thus an extra 40mins on my actual time.

Anybody have a similar results difference when dropping back into another batch?

Same same. Will query it tomorrow.

Also seeding was really screwed for some. 
rode next to a guy in Randburg that was seeded in A, he was struggling. So I had a chat, says he only started riding 8 months ago, he has no idea why they stuck him in A

15 minutes ago, ouzo said:

Also seeding was really screwed for some. 
rode next to a guy in Randburg that was seeded in A, he was struggling. So I had a chat, says he only started riding 8 months ago, he has no idea why they stuck him in A

I also saw a couple of earlier seedings really battling and wondered how they managed to get there.

So my day started out a bit less than optimal. Knew I had to be there early from previous races, but the road closures played havoc with Waze. Note to self, plan the route manually next time. I was surprised that they did not log the raod closures with Waze, it was done for previous iterations and then getting in is a breeze as the routing is automatic. 

Anyway I still got there nice and early, found a gap in silver parking and made my way to the start. Starting in group E, the start was quick. I knew I had to save the legs for the second half so let the "breakaway" go and went at tempo pace until we hit the M1. There I was caught by the quickest in F group and we flew down the highway. At 1h30 I was making my way into Kyalami. Here a few drops fell and a lot of people started to get twitchy, so I turned the effort way doen and let the big group go up the road again. 

Then the fun started, I hit my top speed going down Main road and from there the climing just did not stop. I chatted with any and all on a chill pace (I thought) but by the time @ouzocame past at zoo lake I was close to cramping and just nursing myself home. Had to come to a stop on the M1 when the cramps finally hit. Luckily it was all downhill from there, even the wall of wind that was the finish straight. So my race ended after 3h41 of flying into crawling. Which as a self identified sprinter is about what I expected from this course. 

Will be back next year with better route planning to hunt the elusive sub 3. 

edit : Was already typing this when you asked my time 3h41 over the line.

Edited by Gr3mlin131