Bicycle Bibs

ChristopherJames

Hi Community

I have a fantastic bib and still in very good condition except for at the back where everyone from behind can behold my bum. No tear or holes, the fabric is thin that you can see through it. Is there anyway one can do something about it to repair that part of the Bib or someone who specializes in repairs?

Edited by ChristopherJames

Hi Community

I have a fantastic bib and still in very good condition except for at the back where everyone from behind can behold my bum. Is there anyway one can do something about it to repair that part of the Bib or someone who specializes in repairs?

...to clarify; you have an actual hole/tear in the fabric?

Or fabric (has gone) so thin that backside ‘shines’ through?

Two very different repair strategies; which is it?

Chris

I don't know what they are called , but I wear a pair of cycle shorts without the padding underneath.

Thin fabric

I reckon crotchless, lycra underpants...

The crotchless bit is so you still sit on the Chammy....

The the remaining Lycra u/pant hides your ‘Noughty’ bits...

Affordable solution!

Seriously now, sounds like they have ‘gone thin’ despite being in good condition; may cost a lot to have someone, somehow RELINE them for more opacity?

Suggest you buy another affordable bib - their are some good deals out there - and then you have time to remedy the other pair?

I had a seamstress insert 4 ‘lengtheners’ into 4 old Assos bibs, since over-shoulder straps had grown tight ! And she used Lyca, but yours is a more complex job... unless someone can sew in a new PANEL?

Sorry to hijack the thread. I have two pairs of really good bib shorts that I would like to repair. The padding is still really great but the stitching has started to come loose. I would appreciate any recommendations of a place that can repair them in Cape Town.

Edited by Sibulele

Hi Community

I have a fantastic bib and still in very good condition except for at the back where everyone from behind can behold my bum. No tear or holes, the fabric is thin that you can see through it. Is there anyway one can do something about it to repair that part of the Bib or someone who specializes in repairs?

I'm so glad you mentioned this as I've been meaning to for a few weeks now.

I know what you mean and I have exactly the same problem with all my bib shorts : Castelli, Sportful, North Wave. All shorts were one away from the top of the range of respective brands.

I've engaged the suppliers and followed their care guidelines exactly - gentle wash, lowest spin cycle, don't hang to dry, dry away from sunlight, etc.

I even take them off before doing any stretching or rolling on the foam roller.

But still keeps happening to all my bib shorts after only about 3-6 months old and worn / washed no more than once a week.

On the back, above the pad the fabric seems to stretch and thin out to the point where it's see through.

I even thought it's maybe from keeping stuff in the back pocket that rubs against the fabric but my shirt pockets are no where near where it's thinning but I still keep nothing in that pocket anyway.

I'd love to know why this happens to some of us ? My current theory is that I might be in the tall side of my size and maybe the fabric in this area is being stretched but I cannot take a larger size.

I know what you mean and I have exactly the same problem with all my bib shorts : Castelli, Sportful, North Wave. All shorts were one away from the top of the range of respective brands.

I've engaged the suppliers and followed their care guidelines exactly - gentle wash, lowest spin cycle, don't hang to dry, dry away from sunlight, etc.

But still keeps happening to all my bib shorts after only about 3-6 months old and worn / washed no more than once a week.

On the back, above the pad the fabric seems to stretch and thin out to the point where it's see through.

I even thought it's maybe from keeping stuff in the back pocket that rubs against the fabric but my shirt pockets are no where near where it's thinning but I still keep nothing in that pocket anyway.

I'd love to know why this happens to some of us ? My current theory is that I might be in the tall side of my size and maybe the fabric in this area is being stretched but I cannot take a larger size.

Its the enzymes in your washing detergent.

Lycra isna natural fiber, and enzymes will digest it.

Enzymes are awesome at removing grease soils, and they even work when the wash cycle is over! That's great for your white cotton shirts... Horrendous for Lycra.

So, the solution? No, its not Assos' ridiculously priced tiny bottle of detergent.. Go to your local shoppie, and pick uo some skip DELICATES, or baby, or whatever. They're the expensive liquids at the top of the shelf. They contain basic detergents without enzymes. Just be sure to check the ingredients. If it doesn't mention enzymes, it won't have them. I can't find a powder without them anymore on store shelves.

At home, use the baby or lingerie safe detergent, combined with a wash bag (can buy some at dischem) and the delicates cycle on your machine. This will do wonders for all your cycle kit.

Should keep bibs looking like new for years... I bought some Assos 6 years ago, and they still look amazing, although the black has faded slightly (can't avoid UV damage, really) but no visible, ahem, cracks....

This may sound like total overkill, but at over 2500 for a single pair, it pays to look after them at washing time...

Its the enzymes in your washing detergent.

Lycra isna natural fiber, and enzymes will digest it.

Enzymes are awesome at removing grease soils, and they even work when the wash cycle is over! That's great for your white cotton shirts... Horrendous for Lycra.

So, the solution? No, its not Assos' ridiculously priced tiny bottle of detergent.. Go to your local shoppie, and pick uo some skip DELICATES, or baby, or whatever. They're the expensive liquids at the top of the shelf. They contain basic detergents without enzymes. Just be sure to check the ingredients. If it doesn't mention enzymes, it won't have them. I can't find a powder without them anymore on store shelves.

At home, use the baby or lingerie safe detergent, combined with a wash bag (can buy some at dischem) and the delicates cycle on your machine. This will do wonders for all your cycle kit.

Should keep bibs looking like new for years... I bought some Assos 6 years ago, and they still look amazing, although the black has faded slightly (can't avoid UV damage, really) but no visible, ahem, cracks....

This may sound like total overkill, but at over 2500 for a single pair, it pays to look after them at washing time...

Thanks for the feedback however that's not the issue. If it were then it wouldn't be exactly the same place on all my shorts.

I also wash mine and my wife's together, always, in the same manner and this has never happened with her shorts.

I will however still take your suggestion as it can certainly do no harm to move to a more sensitive detergent. Thanks.

Hi Guys. Another option is to buy cheaper bibs, knowing that they have a limited life span. I have a really nice R2500 bib, but recently purchased 2 pairs from Mr Price Sport for R399.

They do the job surprisingly well, and I would be hard pressed to find a significant difference when comparing them to the R2500 bib I have. 

And at R399/pair, I don't mind too much if they die after a few months... 

Sun. When you ride, that is the main area where sun makes contact with your bibs.

Roadie or mtb?

If mtb, wear a baggy over it. No-one on knobbly tyres have any excuses to not wear baggies over their lycra. No-one wants to see that.

Word! ????????????

Leave the budgies on the road.

Hi Guys. Another option is to buy cheaper bibs, knowing that they have a limited life span. I have a really nice R2500 bib, but recently purchased 2 pairs from Mr Price Sport for R399.

They do the job surprisingly well, and I would be hard pressed to find a significant difference when comparing them to the R2500 bib I have.

And at R399/pair, I don't mind too much if they die after a few months...

Just make sure they are not see through.

Use them on the stationery training trainer at home. Get a new pair to wear in public.

Retirement is a fact of life.