When will we move on from the Groenewegen/ Jakobsen crash...

OVERDRIVE

So, you're happy with sprinters (or drunk drivers) breaking the rules, as long as the consequences for others are not too bad?

You seem to miss the point that ALL sprinters break the rules almost every time they sprint.

I said nothing of the sort rather read my post again.

this one is easy for me.

two things at play here.

*DG caused the accident

*The dangerous barriers caused the severity

The fact that some turkish dude used pool fencing with some fabric over it is the big issue here. And then he went directly into the unpadded gantry at full speed. UCI has changed those regulations hopefully permanently for the better now.

When safety barriers are dangerous. it's bad and careless design.

DG has done his time, he got thrown under the bus by the UCI as the real punishment should have been for the avoidable crime.

this one is easy for me.

two things at play here.

*DG caused the accident

*The dangerous barriers caused the severity

The fact that some turkish dude used pool fencing with some fabric over it is the big issue here. And then he went directly into the unpadded gantry at full speed. UCI has changed those regulations hopefully permanently for the better now.

When safety barriers are dangerous. it's bad and careless design.

DG has done his time, he got thrown under the bus by the UCI as the real punishment should have been for the avoidable crime.

I would add that UCI are equally complicit by being lax in the application of their rules, this leads to TNT's argument that everyone's doing it so what's the issue. The rules are there for the safety of all competitors if you don't apply, abide or comply then you should face the music when things go wrong as they did in this case.

Edited by River Rat

To put things in perspective, you need to realise this "infringement" as you put it is a lot more commonplace. There are deviations, guys switching and elbows flying in nearly every ProTour mass sprint, and even out on the road at intermediate sprint points

The ONLY thing different here is how bad the one guy fell. 

If you really believe that Groenewagen needs to be ostracised, then you must surely be of the opinion that sprints in road cycling must be banned.

Talking about the punishment fitting the "crime" is not realistic, as the outlier in this event was the consequence, not the "crime" itself, as that "crime" is committed almost daily in the peleton.

The punishment must fit the crime, not the outcome. If that were the case here, the punishment was too lenient.

Would Gaviria be in hospital with his team mate receiving death threats and a long ban if the same barriers were at the finish at the Giro on Sunday?

Sprinting is hairy, they take risks, it happens at (almost) every sprint, we just don't see or hear about it unless someone crashes or complains. If Fabio had backed off and just complained, Dylan may have just been relegated to the back of the group and there would have been no injuries. But he chose not to.

Was it at the TDF last year where Sagan cut Wout off and Wout backed off and flipped him the bird? No crash there because Wout backed off, had he kept the power on and stood his ground there probably would have been a crash. No penalties were issued there as they declared it a racing incident.

So no punishment for the way Sagan pushed and barged his way through the bunch to sprint on stage 2 because nobody fell. If riders had fallen, Would Sagan only then have been penalized? So UCI are reactive rather than proactive in their approach to penalties for dangerous riding?

So no punishment for the way Sagan pushed and barged his way through the bunch to sprint on stage 2 because nobody fell. If riders had fallen, Would Sagan only then have been penalized? So UCI are reactive rather than proactive in their approach to penalties for dangerous riding?

Exactly this - the UCI react to effect not crime.

If the fencing we saw yesterday had been at the DG/FJ incident neither rider would have been injured and DG would probably have been relegated (we'll never know).

We seem to live in a social media world now where sentence is based on outrage not crime.

Hell Viviani gave a little elbow after the line yesterday - not a peep from the UCI - if the ISN rider had veered into an official and knocked him over there would have been outrage and bannings (pure speculation of course).