Tips on Selling your house

Gen

Just now, Long Wheel Base said:

I see a lot of agents doing drone shots lately and it's actually pretty cool. It doesn't necessarily show off the house but it gives a good idea of the surrounding houses. 

Drones haven't made their way here yet...we are about 5 years behind in the sticks. 

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, Long Wheel Base said:

I see a lot of agents doing drone shots lately and it's actually pretty cool. It doesn't necessarily show off the house but it gives a good idea of the surrounding houses. 

There are some that do a drone walk through the house too. pretty cool.

17 hours ago, Carmichael said:

Busy selling our house in durbanville, the one thing that bites us in the arse is our flat, it is brand new and up to date, but people comment that they do not need/ want it.. So weird and there i thought it would help.

I would hate to have some random lurking and living on my property.... But I wouldn't see a flat as a negative though

My other half and I have moved into our new spot together after 6 years of me bouncing between her place and my flat.

When I was airbnb'ing my place I had a photographer come and take styly shots. We used those to list. My buyer wanted a fully furnished so my spot sold with furniture. I took out my personal effects such as coffee mugs and prezies from travels and pics from our trips.

Both of our places sold within days of each other at exactly the prices the agent said they would sell at. The place we bought is/was high end. The previous owner bought in 2007 and did a massive renovation. It's all very high end but the place has been rented out for the last 5 years at least. So it's ruined and needs a LOT of work.

** Is it just me or is anyone else put off by a half toilet roll a bit unraveled in pics.? I HATE that. I do love a cat on a bed pic. Makes the place seem more homey.

On 5/21/2021 at 11:05 AM, Stretch said:

Make sure your BDSM apparel is packed away

or left out ... you just never know in those small towns

Make sure the house is good from the street view. Clean drive way with no weeds, painted gates, clean garage doors, postbox paint or clean .... you want them interested before they even step into the house.

Shine that kitchen counter before they arrive.

Layout all your bikes and tools in the lounge with your primary bike on the sofa for extra visual appeal. 

On 5/21/2021 at 11:11 AM, Gen said:

I'll add though I am not in a hurry to sell.. Ideally only towards the end of the year so that once transfers are done I don't have to rent before we move to the coast... And finding a short term rental might be an issue ... (waiting for my son to finish his matric year) 

It takes time to sell and I don't think it wil sell fast.. It's a big old house with a 2 bedroom flat as well so it may be hard to sell

If it does sell fast I am a bit screwed. 

If this is the case, then I don't know why you're listing now.

Generally the longer the house is on the market, the harder it is to sell. You'd have to be upfront about occupation taking place end of year, and if that is an issue for a buyer with a good offer, then move to accomodate them as part of the bargaining process. A short term rental whilst studyting/writing matric might not be that tough - he'll be at a desk/in a bed most of the time anyway.

On 5/28/2021 at 9:45 AM, Duane_Bosch said:

My other half and I have moved into our new spot together after 6 years of me bouncing between her place and my flat.

When I was airbnb'ing my place I had a photographer come and take styly shots. We used those to list. My buyer wanted a fully furnished so my spot sold with furniture. I took out my personal effects such as coffee mugs and prezies from travels and pics from our trips.

Both of our places sold within days of each other at exactly the prices the agent said they would sell at. The place we bought is/was high end. The previous owner bought in 2007 and did a massive renovation. It's all very high end but the place has been rented out for the last 5 years at least. So it's ruined and needs a LOT of work.

** Is it just me or is anyone else put off by a half toilet roll a bit unraveled in pics.? I HATE that. I do love a cat on a bed pic. Makes the place seem more homey.

more of a general comment on this - sold/bought about 18 months ago, I also got a pro photog (friend) in who speciliazes in airbnb pics. For me, so much of the househunting process now takes place on property24.co.za so you need decent pics to stand out. BUT, she stressed not to oversell it. the worst thing is having amazingly touched up pictures and then when the buyers see it in the flesh it is a disappointment that is hard to come back from.

but you see some really crap pictures where the people have taken zero effort. makes you wonder how much maintenance they've done.

The house i bought had decent cellphone pics, but was in the area we wanted. we snapped it up the week after it's first show when it was pouring with rain - might have had more competition if that wasn't the case or the pics were better

Since we've been browsing properties online for the last couple of months, my take on pics.

*  tidy up - I dont want to see your clutter

*  I want to see at least 2 different angles in each room. certain angles can make a room look bigger than what it actually is, different angles can give me a better perspective. 

* By the same token, dont show me 100 pics of the same thing. and for some reason its always the bathroom.

* I want to see outside through the windows, so make sure one of the angles include this. I need to get a sense of how much space there is around the house.

* For some reason extension cords visible puts me off.

* If there is a room, take pictures of it.

* I want to see inside the garage

1 hour ago, Shebeen said:

more of a general comment on this - sold/bought about 18 months ago, I also got a pro photog (friend) in who speciliazes in airbnb pics. For me, so much of the househunting process now takes place on property24.co.za so you need decent pics to stand out. BUT, she stressed not to oversell it. the worst thing is having amazingly touched up pictures and then when the buyers see it in the flesh it is a disappointment that is hard to come back from.

but you see some really crap pictures where the people have taken zero effort. makes you wonder how much maintenance they've done.

The house i bought had decent cellphone pics, but was in the area we wanted. we snapped it up the week after it's first show when it was pouring with rain - might have had more competition if that wasn't the case or the pics were better

We've been threatening to sell our 2 places and consolidate for a few years now. We had a tick list of things we absolutely had to have and a list of nice to have's.  Anyone looking to buy I'd strongly recommend a tick list so you don't get swayed by emotion and agent pressure.

One of the things was a mancave area for me. The day we moved in I had to fight hard to retain the man cave. It's basically an addition to the garage where I imagine a trailer would be parked under normal circumstances.

We saw a place for sale on P24 that was honestly 2-3 mil under value. That prompted us to pull the trigger. We immediately put or places on the market and put in a subject to offer. Long story short we lost out on that but what we ended up with suits our family dynamic far better. We have a "blended family" as the agent put it. We've got 2 living areas and my partners daughter has her room upstairs. So she has her own bathroom and space.

Plus there's space for the bikes and boards and wetsuits. I've set up my smart trainer in the man cave part of the garage and I'm pleased to report that both of the women in my life have also jumped on the Rouvy bandwagon.

When we came to look it was let and the tenants made is VERY uncomfortable. It later transpired that they were looking to buy it themselves so they obviously figured let's make it uncomfortable for any potential buyers.

The only thing missing are some dogs. There's a female bullterrier on order with a breeder so hopefully we'll adopt one of those mad racing pigs in November. 

Edited by Duane_Bosch

Looking at putting our place on the market this week if the seller of the place we put an offer on every gets back to us with a signed OTP.

Luckily looking at the market and area, there are only 2 other houses on the market and they are like friends, from the 90;s.

On 5/30/2021 at 7:23 PM, Hairy said:

Make sure the house is good from the street view. Clean drive way with no weeds, painted gates, clean garage doors, postbox paint or clean .... you want them interested before they even step into the house.

Shine that kitchen counter before they arrive.

Layout all your bikes and tools in the lounge with your primary bike on the sofa for extra visual appeal. 

I have to got paint my post box and gate this afternoon.

34 minutes ago, Pure Savage said:

Looking at putting our place on the market this week if the seller of the place we put an offer on every gets back to us with a signed OTP.

Luckily looking at the market and area, there are only 2 other houses on the market and they are like friends, from the 90;s.

moving to caravan park in wilderness?

On 5/27/2021 at 2:56 PM, Carmichael said:

Busy selling our house in durbanville, the one thing that bites us in the arse is our flat, it is brand new and up to date, but people comment that they do not need/ want it.. So weird and there i thought it would help.

Believe me, the comment is around negotiating the price down, yet once the house is sold they will immediately try and get a tenant to generate income. 

It is like when you sell your car, no sorry, extras add no value, tomorrow when they advertise your vehicle the first thing you see is bulbar, rollbar, canopy, etc. etc. 

Was quite impressed with the photographer that took photos of my Mom’s place. He shot everything in Golden hour (is that  15 minutes of light in winter?), with all the house lights on.

Looking outside in and vice versa gave a true sense of the space the ERF and house has.

it was listed today and she’s already had 4 offers.