Maxxis Crossmark LUST tyre woes...

Mojoman

So I bought a second hand Crossmark 29x2.1 a few months back..these are scarce so when I see one I grab it...
Got the tyre....had a quick look...all seemed fine...left the tyre draped over an 27.5 wheel set I have hanging up so it could fall back into 'shape' ready for when I want to fit it...Anyway over the weekend I decided to pull the old tyre off and put the 'new second hand' one on...

I tried the floor pump which normally works...especially on the second hand tyres as they already have been shaped...
Didnt work....Not a problem...Haul the 4x4 compressor out...Got it seated...disconnected the compressor and started to pack it away...
BANG (and boy, will I be wearing my hearing protection next time!, Neighbour came out to see if the war had started!)
Tyre off the rim....OK...do it again...
BANG
Tyre off the rim....go and find a old inner tube...

Insert inner tube...inflate...tyre seats.....
5 minutes later tyre is off the rim...
Did it again with the same results...

Im not new to tubeless...Rims are not tubeless ready but have given no issues over last 4 years....
Put the old tyre back on (same brand and size) and it sealed fine..
Rims were cleaned up so everything should seat correctly...

I wound up nipping into town and buying a new cheap tyre (which seated straight away with no problems)...Im not sure if its worth battling with this tyre or should I just cut it in half and chuck it away and chalk it up to experience rather than have to possibly pay a dentist sometime in the future!? Its odd that comes off even with a tube...

Any ideas? Bead looks OK....But I think this tyre may have been impacted quite hard and its casued some kind of damage...

Edited by Mojoman

10 minutes ago, droo said:

I'd put money on a broken bead.

I wouldn't bee too quick to buy second hand tyres, add to this that LUST casings were last made in biblical times and I'd advise staying well away.

Ja, I think I will just bin it...dont fancy a trip to A&E....!

I've been buying second hand tyres for years and never had any issues...when a bicycle tyre costs as much as my bakkie tyre then unfortunately second hand is the way some of us have to go...

1 hour ago, Mojoman said:

So I bought a second hand Crossmark 29x2.1 a few months back..these are scarce so when I see one I grab it...
Got the tyre....had a quick look...all seemed fine...left the tyre draped over an 27.5 wheel set I have hanging up so it could fall back into 'shape' ready for when I want to fit it...Anyway over the weekend I decided to pull the old tyre off and put the 'new second hand' one on...

I tried the floor pump which normally works...especially on the second hand tyres as they already have been shaped...
Didnt work....Not a problem...Haul the 4x4 compressor out...Got it seated...disconnected the compressor and started to pack it away...
BANG (and boy, will I be wearing my hearing protection next time!, Neighbour came out to see if the war had started!)
Tyre off the rim....OK...do it again...
BANG
Tyre off the rim....go and find a old inner tube...

Insert inner tube...inflate...tyre seats.....
5 minutes later tyre is off the rim...
Did it again with the same results...

Im not new to tubeless...Rims are not tubeless ready but have given no issues over last 4 years....
Put the old tyre back on (same brand and size) and it sealed fine..
Rims were cleaned up so everything should seat correctly...

I wound up nipping into town and buying a new cheap tyre (which seated straight away with no problems)...Im not sure if its worth battling with this tyre or should I just cut it in half and chuck it away and chalk it up to experience rather than have to possibly pay a dentist sometime in the future!? Its odd that comes off even with a tube...

Any ideas? Bead looks OK....But I think this tyre may have been impacted quite hard and its casued some kind of damage...

If you are interested, I have a new 29" Crossmark that I might want to sell.  Not sure about the width, but I think it is 2.1.  I can maybe sell you a second hand one as well (the one currently on my bike).

You can contact me if you are interested.

5 minutes ago, MORNE said:

If you are interested, I don't have a new crossmark for you, but id be willing to pay you to try anything else than a crossmark?

????

Lol...they get a bad rap but around the hills of the Magalies they fair pretty well....And at one stage were an affordable tubeless tyre....Fast rolling as well. Used them for 10 years+...

Unfortunately there is very little clearance on my frame to run a 2.2 onwards so I am using these until I buy another bike oneday...(oneday soon I hope and I WILL check the chainstay clearance next time!!)

Edited by Mojoman

i know they obviously cost a lot more than new old stock crossmark's, but 2.2 is very close to some of these new 50c gravel tires, especially a maxxis which probably measures 1.9 anyway in that case lol. Not all of them are semi slicks so you might find a few new options to explore if you arent upgrading anytime soon. I even have a pair of WTB riddler 2.1's at home. 

1 hour ago, droo said:

I'd put money on a broken bead.

I wouldn't bee too quick to buy second hand tyres, add to this that LUST casings were last made in biblical times and I'd advise staying well away.

Ya, was going to say, I once owned a LUST in 26". They were not up to the latest EXO casing by any stretch...