Winelands Cycle Race in September

Paarl Rotary

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Jbr said:

I drive a duster and I was starting early so I took the risk but I did consider moving my car, if I had the sandero I would definitely have parked on the road ????

You make a great point but you’re a brave man admitting you drive not one but TWO Renaults in V’yota country. Chapeau!!

5 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

You make a great point but you’re a brave man admitting you drive not one but TWO Renaults in V’yota country. Chapeau!!

I'm french, it comes with the passport

10 hours ago, Rush1 said:

Good race despite weather and poor organisation; bad water points,  missing officials at finish, no medals, no assistance in car parks with mud, race organizers are blaming Covid for everything! Shame on you!

Was it too hard to carry to carry your own 500ml of water?
Organisers told you before you entered and in emails that there will be very limited service.

What that you need from officials at the finish, a pat on the back?
I guess so since you also wanted a well done for showing up medal. ????

Have you ever driven your car successfully on muddy grass? You had the whole of Wellington to find suitable parking.

You won't get anyone supporting your point of view on this forum. We're cyclist, and we only care about organisers providing what is needed for us to ride our bikes safely. 

If anyone wants medals I'll gladly mail one to you.it won't be for sundays event but rather something random from my previous decade collection.

24 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

So after parking on the field do you now drive a Mudder? (Ok I'm done. Sorry)

Getting out safely was all about line choice and momentum, and my line was better in the car than on the bicycle, I got out no problem, no wheelspin and no mud on the car ;)

8 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

If anyone wants medals I'll gladly mail one to you.it won't be for sundays event but rather something random from my previous decade collection.

You might even have one that says Winelands Cycle Race and the year is only on the ribbon... ????

18 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

You might even have one that says Winelands Cycle Race and the year is only on the ribbon... ????

I might actually????

image.png.b4b8e9cf8a98a9404d3ba4ec4a041fe2.png

Wonder where organiser find the motivation to organise events for spoilt brats like these... yoh...

Okes pay R280 for a race and expect to have people pushing their cars in the mud and get a medal for finishing 300th/400th

Edited by Jbr

When I arrived in that deluge yesterday I thought I might not make it but I'm glad I pushed through. First race done and dusted. Would have been nice to have a medal as a souvenir, or at least have it on strava (my watch stopped tracking a few times and I lost about 40km on there) but still feeling pretty good about it. Also, my Battaglin '87 performed very well.

20210905_103725 (1).jpg

Edited by Lucas Swart

2 minutes ago, Lucas Swart said:

When I arrived in that deluge yesterday I thought I might not make it but I'm glad I pushed through. First race done and dusted. Would have been nice to have a medal as a souvenir, or at least have it on strava (my watch stopped tracking a few times and I lost about 40km on there) but still feeling pretty good about it. Also, my Battaglin '87 performed very well.

Super congratulations on that ride man. Seriously. Some seasoned riders sat in their cars in Wellington and decided not to even start, so a massive well done to you. I can understand that a medal might have been worth it to you, but trust me, this memory will be with you for all your cycling days, while the medal would just be left somewhere in a cupboard. 

One day, years from now, you'll get caught in a freak December rainstorm and while sharing war stories with your buddies after that race you'll bring up Winelands 2021 with a big grin on your face.

How tough was this race / route /  conditions yesterday, compared to the CTCT?

What time would you have had to do yesterday to be on par for a SUB 3 ctct?

4 minutes ago, K20Champ said:

How tough was this race / route /  conditions yesterday, compared to the CTCT?

What time would you have had to do yesterday to be on par for a SUB 3 ctct?

Since CTCT weather conditions and your start batch are unknowable at this stage, this comparison is not easy to make.
If you gat a sub-3 yesterday you may or may not be on course for a sub-3 CTCT.

39 minutes ago, JasperNel said:

Another note, will some of you with your Dutch heritage please share your eternal wisdom on how to remain dry and cosy in a race like yesterday? 

https://www.bioracer.com/en/cycling/collection/15298/aero-rain-jacket

Leg warmers o your choice

Sealskinz socks and a booty that fits snuggly around the leg

https://dvillecyclery.co.za/product/703051201531/?attribute_pa_size=small&utm_source=Google Shopping&utm_campaign=DVC Shopping Ads&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=100000442&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIt-uG5PTp8gIVVQaRCh0J-ghwEAQYASABEgLd-vD_BwE

Sealskinz gloves.

Aero helmet with a casquette underneath